By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo's unique strategy

Imphamis said:
IMO, perhaps they are trying to prove something. I see many say Nintendo doesn't care for third party...........Or they need them in support to help create something fresh and new? Like new IPs........and I can agree it's possible to see atleast one of them in the next installment of Smash Bros. Also for Metroid......they are perhaps teaming with TN to make it as fresh and new for even the most veteran Metroid gamers? This is just my view and opinion on all of this though....

Yeah I just realized that of Nintendo didn't make new ips then the next smash bros. would be full of 2nd and 3rd sting characters. I mean Lil' Mac and either characters from S&P2 but what else? Kyle from hotel Dusk (GOD I love that game), A character from the magical starsign? Golden Sun character is a lock I think anyway what do you guys think?

Gaming make me feel GOOD!

Around the Network
Soriku said:
BrandonM said:
What are your views on Cosmic Walker (I think that's the name) is a 3rd party working on that too?

Yeah but the game dropped off their release list...

Anyway I'm just happy they're giving me more games I want.

I'm in the same too, but I wonder when kirby and pikmin 3 will drop?

Gaming make me feel GOOD!

It's great, imo. But like Rubang said, it's not something new or unique to this gen. However, I like it, and much prefer that kind of strategy over buying out 3rd parties, or paying millions for timed exclusivity, like both MS & Sony have been and are doing.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

BrandonM said:
Toddifer said:
I think it's a great idea, for several reasons. First, there are some incredibly talented people and studios that Nintendo doesn't own that can obviously make great games, so why not utilitze their talents and skills? Secondly, it gets people excited. When I heard about the new Metroid, I honestly thought "Again, already?" but when I saw it was being developed by Team Ninja, it got me excited and it got people talking about it and generated some early, positive buzz. Third, because Nintendo's first-party line-up has always been so strong, so iconic, by branching out and reaching out and working with these third-party studios, it does help spread some of the love around, but I think that's more a PR thing than anything else. And Finally, while Nintendo has great ideas, it by means doesn't have them all, so seeing how a different studio might come in with a fresh vision, a fresh take on a classic property is something lots of people would pay to see...

Do you think nintendo will buy one of these developers?

Well they should have enough money by now to buy any of them, but I hope they don't. I like the idea of them outsourcing/partnering more than owning outright. And besides, we know what happened when Microsoft bought Rare...(I miss Rare on Nintendo) :(

Bah!

I would say it's not that new (Argonaut, Rare, Capcom/Flagship, Amusement Vision) or that unique.  Everyone contracts 3rd parties, even exclusively in some cases.  Looking at all the upcoming 1st party lineups (that we know about)...

Xbox 360 Outsourced

• Alan Wake (Remedy Entertainment)
  • Crackdown 2 (Ruffian Games)
  • Gears of War 3 (Epic Games)
  • Halo Reach (Bungie Studios)
  • Ninety-Nine Nights II (feelplus)

Xbox 360 Internal

• Fable III (Lionhead Studios)
  • Milo (Lionhead Studios)

PlayStation 3 Outsourced

• Heavy Rain (Quantic Dream)
  • ModNation Racers (United Front Games)
  • Resistance 3 (Insomniac Games)
  • Twisted Metal (Eat Sleep Play)
  • White Knight Chronicles (Level-5)
  • White Night Chronicles II (Level-5)

PlayStation 3 Internal

• EyePet (London Studio)
  • Eyedentify (London Studio?)
  • God of War III (Santa Monica Studios)
  • Gran Turismo 5: The Real Driving Simulator (Polyphony Digital)
  • MAG Massive Action Game (Zipper Interactive)
  • MLB 10: The Show (San Diego Studios)
  • The Last Guardian (Japan Studio)
  • Uncharted 3 (Naughty Dog Software)

Wii Outsourced

• Cosmic Walker (Gaia)
  • Endless Ocean: Blue World (Arika)
  • Kensax (Shift)
  • Line Attack Heroes (Grezzo Games)
  • PokePark: Pikachu no Daibouken (Creatures Inc.)
  • Sin & Punishment: Successors of the Sky (Treasure Video Games)
  • Span Smasher (Artoon)
  • The Last Story (Mistwalker)
  • Zangenki no Reginliev (Sandlot)

Wii Internal

• Hoshi no Kirby (HAL Laboratory?)
  • Pikmin 3 (Nintendo EAD)
  • Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Nintendo EAD Tokyo)
  • The Legend of Zelda (Nintendo EAD)
  • Wii Relax (Nintendo EAD)
  • Xenoblade (Monolith Software)

Wii Collaborative

• Metroid: Other M (Nintendo SPD/Team Ninja)

Wii ???

• 100-Go de Start! Eikaiwa