By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo's unique strategy

Toddifer said:
I think it's a great idea, for several reasons. First, there are some incredibly talented people and studios that Nintendo doesn't own that can obviously make great games, so why not utilitze their talents and skills? Secondly, it gets people excited. When I heard about the new Metroid, I honestly thought "Again, already?" but when I saw it was being developed by Team Ninja, it got me excited and it got people talking about it and generated some early, positive buzz. Third, because Nintendo's first-party line-up has always been so strong, so iconic, by branching out and reaching out and working with these third-party studios, it does help spread some of the love around, but I think that's more a PR thing than anything else. And Finally, while Nintendo has great ideas, it by means doesn't have them all, so seeing how a different studio might come in with a fresh vision, a fresh take on a classic property is something lots of people would pay to see...

Do you think nintendo will buy one of these developers?

Gaming make me feel GOOD!

Around the Network

IMO, perhaps they are trying to prove something. I see many say Nintendo doesn't care for third party...........Or they need them in support to help create something fresh and new? Like new IPs........and I can agree it's possible to see atleast one of them in the next installment of Smash Bros. Also for Metroid......they are perhaps teaming with TN to make it as fresh and new for even the most veteran Metroid gamers? This is just my view and opinion on all of this though....

"The Common Cold Isn't So Common During The Cold"     

What I find interesting is Nintendo seems to be farming out the more 'core' titles while keeping the more 'casual' ones inhouse. It's also very interesting if they do drop Mario/Zelda/Metroid and two huge RPGs plus some other 'core' titles like Zengeki in one year. Seems like a huge push for the core market this year, at least in Japan. It the west this will just maintain the Nintendo loyalists.

This is going to be a HUGE year for Nintendo! It looks like they are supporting the third party "Hardcore" games while still maintaining the usual "Casual" games themselves. Definitely an effective strategy to keep ALL your consumers happy.

Odd. Future. Wolf. Gang. Kill. Em. All. OFWGKTA Don't give a fuck!

Fuck Steve Harvey. FREE EARL!

Final Fantasy Versus XIII will be the GREATEST game EVER made!!!

I'd take a bullet for Square-Enix! 

And they are releasing them the same year they announce, too.
Remember how everyone saying Nintendo got nothing coming in '09?

Around the Network
Gamerace said:
What I find interesting is Nintendo seems to be farming out the more 'core' titles while keeping the more 'casual' ones inhouse. It's also very interesting if they do drop Mario/Zelda/Metroid and two huge RPGs plus some other 'core' titles like Zengeki in one year. Seems like a huge push for the core market this year, at least in Japan. It the west this will just maintain the Nintendo loyalists.

Ehh, some of those can push beyond just the Nintendo loyalists in the west. Zelda and Other M should, at least, and The Last Story *might,* though only with the western JRPG crowd, which is admittedly limited.

Nintendo's strategy in this seems to fit with them overall. They find a project they like and sponsor it directly, or they have a project they want to do, but lack the capacity for, and find the perfect team to do it. They don't buy the teams, and that way they're not stuck with whatever problems those teams might have, but can get the optimal benefit, and are more than willing to work with those teams again if they prove useful (like Next Level Games)

It's a win-win strategy for all, Nintendo gets only the benefits of working with the teams, and the teams get only the benefits of working with Nintendo (i.e. like i said before, Nintendo isn't stuck if the team runs through a rough patch or has management problems or whatever, and the teams don't lose their financial independence by being consumed)

Really, it's a lesson that some publishers should learn. Microsoft and EA seem to have this problem especially. Really i suppose this is a strategy that Sony's been embracing more from the beginning, though.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:
Gamerace said:

Ehh, some of those can push beyond just the Nintendo loyalists in the west. Zelda and Other M should, at least, and The Last Story *might,* though only with the western JRPG crowd, which is admittedly limited.

Nintendo's strategy in this seems to fit with them overall. They find a project they like and sponsor it directly, or they have a project they want to do, but lack the capacity for, and find the perfect team to do it. They don't buy the teams, and that way they're not stuck with whatever problems those teams might have, but can get the optimal benefit, and are more than willing to work with those teams again if they prove useful (like Next Level Games)

It's a win-win strategy for all, Nintendo gets only the benefits of working with the teams, and the teams get only the benefits of working with Nintendo (i.e. like i said before, Nintendo isn't stuck if the team runs through a rough patch or has management problems or whatever, and the teams don't lose their financial independence by being consumed)

Really, it's a lesson that some publishers should learn. Microsoft and EA seem to have this problem especially. Really i suppose this is a strategy that Sony's been embracing more from the beginning, though.

Metroid is unlikely too sell any systems, although it might do better saleswise than the prime series.   Same goes for Zelda, as 90% of Zelda fans bought Wiis already, so unless Nintendo broadens the appeal to the mass consumer (girls in particular) I don't see it doing any better than the typical Zelda at 6-7m.  Certainly neither these titles independantly or even together with SMG2 will pull any HD gamers to Wii.

The only game I see doing that is an exclusive Jedi Knight game on Wii with WM+ and awesome online multiplayer.   However, at this point that would now launch across all three systems thanks to Natal/Arc and Wii's would be the least appealing (although most cost efficient to play with 1:1 motion).  And SW:FU2 might prove to be that game anyway.

Nintendo doesn't own Baten Kaitos IP?

I'd like to see a new Baten Kaitos.

Reginliev can also keep some of the monster hunter crowd happy, maybe.

What are your views on Cosmic Walker (I think that's the name) is a 3rd party working on that too?

Gaming make me feel GOOD!