By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Cursed Mountain developer shut down

That's some really sad news.. Cursed Mountain was not a bad game at all but nobody knew about it.. The Gamestop I bought it at only had one copy and no pre-orders.

Around the Network

Looks like Cursed Mountain was their first and last chance. It's sad to see this happening because Cursed Mountain was actually pretty good...

Damn, i better go and find me a copy then.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Its a hard time to make new IPs. Darn recession and rising development costs!

Love and tolerate.

Note to aspiring development houses: For your first game, don't launch a new IP in a niche genre.

I enjoyed Cursed Mountain a lot, but it really didn't have any of the ingredients of a big seller. I don't think more marketing would have done anything for it.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network

They must've been spending too much if their first title sunk them.
You must be prepared for anything, and that includes selling below 100,000 copies.

At least it is only 20 people though. It sucks that they are closing, but not a major tragedy.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Red4ADevil said:
Cursed Mountain could have sold more if they advertised it. This is the main problem with these developers; they release a promising game, and dont advertise it. (deadly creatures, and dead space) I didnt see any ads for this (especialy on TV)

there only a small company dude, very small company acturally.. i dont think they can worrent an ad

We are at *that* stage of the cycle... and since there won't be a new generation for a few years (at least), expect more studios to be closing. A lot of my friends were laid off when Transmission Games (aka IR Gurus/ThatGame) closed down in Melbourne.

Look at it this way: if companies like EA, Capcom, THQ, Rockstar struggle to make a profit... how the hell is a smaller dev/publisher supposed to?

Overall, the market is extremely saturated... its mainly the 'new' devices which are still profitable, and they are drying up quickly.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Only twenty people made that game, huh? That's a pretty small team. I was going to try and estimate the cost of Cursed Mountain to see how much money they lost on that game, but it is unclear when they actually started work on the game. It seems this studio started as 'Games That Matter Productions' and wasn't acquired by Deep Silver until August 2007. If we use that date, then the game was in development for two years, and probably cost around $4 million assuming the whole team was working on it. That means the project probably lost at least $2 million. If the game was in development longer, the game lost even more money.

The studio's only other announced game was an action game called Ride to Hell for the 360, PS3, and PC. I'm guessing development wasn't going well or it was a weak idea to start with, and after the poor showing of Cursed Mountain the higher ups decided to pull the plug.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

That sucks for the studio and survival horror games. Also sucks that a studio making Wii games is shut down.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.