By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Cursed Mountain developer shut down

Ouch. It did look like a game with good production values, and an interesting concept. It was never going to be a widely appealing game though, and they absolutely bet the farm on it. I was thinking about it, but I hate buying single player Wii games unless they're really good.

All in all, quite sad.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Around the Network

Hard to say what part of the shortfall has to do with management, but the basic numbers I'm seeing from this example is that 90k units sold with a development team of 20 personnel over (don't know the development time) a presumed 1-2 years is not enough to keep a development studio in business developing for the Wii. Unless they actually started development in 2006, which would go a long way in explaining the shortfall.

Of course one has to take into account that it was a new studio, with no prior releases which meant going through the lengthy process of setting up all resources and libraries using teams that presumably had little or no former experience working together.

The most unfortunate part is that stories like this do not bode well for small studios making attempts to produce unique, smaller niche titles, which means higher odds of seeing low cost party titles and fewer games like Cursed Mountain.

Ah, that's sad...
Too bad, really, I guess for their first game they should've tried something that would've appealed to a wider audience.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

greenmedic88 said:
Hard to say what part of the shortfall has to do with management, but the basic numbers I'm seeing from this example is that 90k units sold with a development team of 20 personnel over (don't know the development time) a presumed 1-2 years is not enough to keep a development studio in business developing for the Wii. Unless they actually started development in 2006, which would go a long way in explaining the shortfall.

Of course one has to take into account that it was a new studio, with no prior releases which meant going through the lengthy process of setting up all resources and libraries using teams that presumably had little or no former experience working together.

The most unfortunate part is that stories like this do not bode well for small studios making attempts to produce unique, smaller niche titles, which means higher odds of seeing low cost party titles and fewer games like Cursed Mountain.

The project was actually a collaboration between a number of small studios. They did a GDC talk about it. So it was much more than those 20 people.

I don't think anyone has ever argued that <100,000 sales would be enough for a Wii game, unless it's shovelware or just a very small budget.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

aww, too bad. One of the best horror games I've played. Fixed my Resident Evil need, since Resident Evil 5 couldn't do that.

PS:

The game DID have some advertising, at least here in Germany. I've seen several ads on TV.

updated: 14.01.2012

playing right now: Xenoblade Chronicles

Hype-o-meter, from least to most hyped:  the Last Story, Twisted Metal, Mass Effect 3, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Playstation ViTA

bet with Mordred11 that Rage will look better on Xbox 360.

Around the Network
Demotruk said:
greenmedic88 said:

The project was actually a collaboration between a number of small studios. They did a GDC talk about it. So it was much more than those 20 people.

I don't think anyone has ever argued that <100,000 sales would be enough for a Wii game, unless it's shovelware or just a very small budget.

Yes, it was apparently much more than 20 people -

"GC 2009: 12 Companies Made Cursed Mountain
To be precise: 236 people and 16 companies across 14 countries and 17 unique locations."

http://wii.ign.com/articles/101/1014390p1.html

I assume all the other companies/people were outsourced to.

@SIlver-Tiger:  yes it was advertised a bit in some EU countries, hence the better sales there than in NA (Others with some advertising 70k, NA with no advertising 20k). Just stating the facts, not blaming them, advertising probably wouldn't have put them in the black in this case.

Currently Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Anticipating: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Mario Kart 7, Rayman Origins, Zelda SS, Crush3D, Tales of the Abyss 3DS, MGS:Snake Eater 3DS, RE:Revelations, Time Travellers, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, Luigi's Mansion 2, MH TriG, DQ Monsters, Heroes of Ruin

Really sad...for their first game it was very good and I was looking forward to the next games.

I quess that for Austrian developer's it is even harder to exist.

Yes there was some advertising in Austria and Germany but I believe not in the rest of the world.

greenmedic88 said:

I would say @ $20 per full priced title, $100,000 per developer per year, they would need ~5,000 full price sales per developer per year to cover the expenses. So over 20 people thats 5k * 2 * 20 = 200,000 copies. With a rough allocation given to marketing. Every 100,000 copies printed of a console game would cost about $8-10 per copy or about a million per 100,000 to distribute and sell. So next to the development budget, these small titles also must worry about printing the correct number of copies. Printing too many is an expensive exercise.

I suspect what this mean is that small studios which work on online games, see Behemoth for example on Xbox Live can make a lot more money due to stable development and fewer distribution costs. I just find it difficult for anything but a well placed development studio to be able to do physical media distribution on consoles.

Do you know what its like to live on the far side of Uranus?

It did have some advertising, I remember seeing that awesome front cover everywhere.

I can't fathom why this would only sell 90k, on such a huge userbase ... shops simply didn't stock it I assume?

Sad to see as I really liked the concept and look of this game. Would have loved to see their next effort. Guilty of not getting Cursed Mountain though, if only it was a better game too.