By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Spyro, and Crash, the best franchises on ps1 now multi plat?

Darc Requiem said:
Side note: This is one of the reasons I find it hilarious that Sony fanboys get upset when MS buys exclusivity.

Sony buys exclusivity with merit. 

Reality has a Nintendo bias.
Around the Network
Darc Requiem said:
Both Spryo and Crash were owned by Universal. They were developed by Insomniac and Naughty Dog for Universal Interactive. Sony bought exclusivity for both franchises during the PS1 era. When Naughty Dog and Insomniac decided to work for Sony instead of Universal, Universal kept the rights to the Spyro and Crash franchises.

Side note: This is one of the reasons I find it hilarious that Sony fanboys get upset when MS buys exclusivity. It is something Sony relied on heavily during the PS1 and PS2 eras. Yet when another company does the same thing, they take issue with it.

i agree

couchmonkey said:
Did I just step through a timewarp into 2001?

I believe Darc has it right.

Did someone mention a timewarp?

Anyways, Darc is correct ...

Sony (back in the day) paid a lot of money to various third parties to create third party games in order to compete with Nintendo and Sega's Mascot Characters; there were only a couple of these games which were not awful and pathetic when compared against the Sonic and Mario games of the day. Sony decided to produce more mascot characters in-house and with Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter, and Sly Cooper they didn't need Crash Bandicoot or Spiro anymore.

Spyro and Crash were not even remotely the best franchises on the ps1. Also Ratchet>Spyro and Jak>Crash so it all worked out great.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

HappySqurriel said:

...there were only a couple of these games which were not awful and pathetic when compared against the Sonic and Mario games of the day.

If this is some kind of knock against Blasto, I am not amused.

Hates Nomura.

Tagged: GooseGaws - <--- Has better taste in games than you.

Around the Network
ckmlb said:
Spyro and Crash were not even remotely the best franchises on the ps1. Also Ratchet>Spyro and Jak>Crash so it all worked out great.

If memory serves me correctly, the Crash games and the Spiro games averaged scores in the high 80s/low 90s and sold an insane number of games.
Name Console Publisher Japan America Others Total
Crash Bandicoot 2 Sony1.333.872.377.57
Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped Sony1.453.761.917.12
Crash Bandicoot Sony0.943.292.576.80
Crash Team Racing Sony0.302.641.714.65
Crash Bash Sony0.191.601.603.39
Totals (5 matches) 4.2 15.2 10.2 29.5

Name Console Publisher Japan America Others Total
Spyro Sony0.073.351.494.91
Spyro 3 Sony0.001.981.733.71
Spyro 2 Sony0.012.191.323.52
Totals (3 matches) 0.1 7.5 4.5 12.1

They represnet the 5th, 6th, 8th, 16th, 18th, 24th, 27th and 29th best selling games on the Playstation which was quite an accomplisment. They really were the only stand out platformers on the Playstation, which means that they were some of the best (or most important) franchises on the Playstation.

Hypothetically speaking, if these games didn't exist the Saturn and N64 would have (potentially) sold noticeably better than they did.

I've made enough of these threads in the past... Crash and Spyro went sour because no other company could make them as good as Naughty Dog and Insomniac. It's a shame... Jak and Ratchet were just never as good as replacements...

ckmlb said:

Wow, wow, wow, wow, wow... Hold on a second there... That was way too fast... Way too fast... Nope... That did not just happen... No... You did not...

Spyro and Crash were truly amongst the greatest franchises on the Playstation, and best selling. Spyro > Ratchet, and Crash > Jak.

Spyro far outsold Ratchet, and Crash far outsold Jak. All of Crash's Playstation games were better than the last, while all of Jak's Playstation 2 games were worse than the last, and sold less than the last. Crash Bandicoot was the PS1's official, unofficial mascot, while Jak was nothing more than franchise that just "existed" on the Playstation 2. Check out the scores from www.gamerankings.com and sales from this website.

Crash Bandicoot: (79.3%) (6.80 million)
Crash Bandicoot 2: (88.5%) (7.57 million)
Crash Bandicoot 3: (89.1%) (7.12 million)
Crash Team Racing: (91%) (4.65 million)

Jak and Daxter: 90% (3.21 million)
Jak 2: 88% (2.30 million)
Jak 3: 85% (1.57 million)
Jak X: 76% (0.50? million)

Crash Bandicoot owns Jak and Daxter. It owns it so nicely, and you, and everyone else in the world knows this! Spyro was owns Ratchet and Clank. Jak and Daxter, and Ratchet and Clank, are better than what Crash Bandicoot, and Spyro have become today, but they couldn't touch them in the past!

ckmlb is back!! With a new computer too.

@alex

ratchet on the ps3 was way better than spyro on the ps1(I bought spyro from the ps store a week ago.)

mM

You are incorrect. Spyro: Year of the Dragon, got better reviews than Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction. Face it, Spyro, and Crash, were better than Ratchet, and Jak. Even Sonic was better than them. Even Donkey Kong was better than them. Now they all suck worse than Ratchet, and Jak. But Mario was always good. In fact, Mario was the only platformer that was always the greatest. Ratchet, and Jak, were good all the way through, but they were never kings.