By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Spyro, and Crash, the best franchises on ps1 now multi plat?

Naughty dog and Insomniac are sony companies. They are the creaters of Crash bandicoot, and spyro frachises. What I would like to know is why sony let go of such great franchises? Ever since it left the ps2 its been downhill from there on. Crash of the titans is terrible. I wasted 30 buks on a psp game that isnt even worth my time. Why did sony give up these franchises?

mM
Around the Network

Sony didn't sell them, I'm not even sure if Naughty Dog and Insomniac were even second parties at the time. As to why ND and Insomniac sold their franchises, I have no idea, but I do think I remember reading that the regretted it afterwards.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Spyro is incredibly dull and has been from the start, I find it like playing one of those licenced childrens games like scooby doo or something, except without the licenced character.

Crash did have some good games on PS1, but the recent (last 5 years?) ones have not been great IMO. so yeah i agree with that.

all Crash games made by Naughty Dog were absolutely awsome, i still play them, Spyro 1 and 2 were good then it went downhill. I dont think Sony had anything to do with it, ND and insomniac just sold the franchises.

I personally think The adventures of Tombi 1 and 2 were the best platformers behind Crash on the PS1, now all I need is Tombi 3 on the PS3.

Double Post

Around the Network

I think they just wanted to move on to new franchises. Sadly, that involved their selling both franchises to a shovelware company, but it also gave us Ratchet & Clank, so I'm sort of divided...

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

I think this news will be met with a collective yawn from a large portion of gamers.

Spyro and Crash were not bad, however they're not exactly top notch either.  Still, this isn't what Sony needs to be seeing at this time.

Both Spryo and Crash were owned by Universal. They were developed by Insomniac and Naughty Dog for Universal Interactive. Sony bought exclusivity for both franchises during the PS1 era. When Naughty Dog and Insomniac decided to work for Sony instead of Universal, Universal kept the rights to the Spyro and Crash franchises.

Side note: This is one of the reasons I find it hilarious that Sony fanboys get upset when MS buys exclusivity. It is something Sony relied on heavily during the PS1 and PS2 eras. Yet when another company does the same thing, they take issue with it.

Did I just step through a timewarp into 2001?

I believe Darc has it right.

I want to go with "They weren't great to begin with". The PS1 had way better games in my opinion.