By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Are SE reconsidering DQX for the PS3?

Wow. So much doubt for the little white box.

Porting DQX up to the PS3 makes no sense. It'd be like porting DQIX up to the PSP. 

The Wii is not selling software unlike the DS. People cite the poor tales sales, but the DS hasn't done any better in comparison to the PSP. They cite the MH3 sales, when it's a console (with a paid subscription) vs where it became popular, on the PSP, a handheld. We see games like KH perform better on the PSP, should we conclude the PSP would have been a better bet for DQ?

Look at the big picture. Niche RPG's are meaningless in the face of Dragon Quest. Really, just ask yourself - why do you think DQIX sold so well? It's not as if the RPG's without DQ, Pokemon or FF on the box were selling millions. By the time DQX comes out, the Wii userbase should be over 14, maybe 15 million. Many other games will precede it, like more Nintendo games (including the RPG's), DQ remakes, or anything else that comes out in the next 2 years. The userbase will be ready by then. For DQ, they always are.

The game will clear 3 million, easily.

Around the Network

Comparing MH3 is a dumb move for those doing it, not only is it subscription based but it's outsold all non handheld MH games and yes some of these games came out after the series boom. DQX is going rip all other games apart in Japan, a national icon which can only be released on weekends for legal reasons now with Nintendo behind it's publishing. Fact here is the's no real valid reason for a PS3 version other then those without a Wii wanting it when you consider DQ has never been about graphical prowess, Wii has cheaper development costs and a bigger userbase in Japan so they can sqeeze more money out of it, the Wii won't stop selling anytime soon and Nintendo will be behind the publishing and vow to try and push the DQ series outside of Japan as hard as they do their own IPs.

Japan will buy Dragon Quest wherever it goes.  However, no matter whatever spikes we've seen with recent PS3 sales, Japan still shows it likes Wii software and hardware more.  Final Fantasy XIII also may have been really popular, but popularity doesn't always transfer to massive sales.  And its just a fact that FFXIII 2 million in sales o nthe PS3 doesn't come close to DQIX sales of 4 million on the DS.

Its pretty clear to see both SquareEnix and series creator Yuji Horii are taking special notice of Nintendo.  And they're not going to change focus of DQX to the PS3 simply because of FFXIII.  If anything, they might change future FF games to a Nintendo system because of Dragon Quests monster sales.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

People should stop speaking out of their asses for a change and do some RESEARCH!

Monster Hunter on the PSP has NO OFFICIAL ONLINE MODE, just special missions that can only be played in local multiplayer. And that's precicely the reason it sells better and better; viral marketing.

As for MH3 bombing, God that's a funny one. Although I myself expected PSP-level sales, you can in no way claim 1 million disappointing! It is the 3rd best selling game in the series, beating the original Monster Hunter Freedom on PSP (when the series started to take off). Capcom should invest on Wii, not get away from it! Expand on what they've created.

Don't get me started on the idiotic DQX moving away from the Wii. It might go multiplatform, but going exclusive on the PS3 is completely out of the question. DQ would still sell at least 3 million even on PS2 nowadays, ONE OUT OF EVERY 32 PEOPLE in Japan bought DQIX...

No way.

Around the Network

DQX ins on the Wii for two reasons.
1. Enix has always stood by that their IP is will always be put on the larger base.
2. DQX biggest classic style RPG will have no competion for it's class. This means more profit. Tales are a great game, but the class difference. Like Heavy Weight and Light Weight. Some game IP will always sell well regardless of platform. FF and DQ are two of them.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

c0rd said:

Wow. So much doubt for the little white box.

Porting DQX up to the PS3 makes no sense. It'd be like porting DQIX up to the PSP. 

Then it shouldn't be much of a surprise that there were rampant "rumors" about DQIX getting ported to PSP. I don't think it had as many people defending such absurdity as there are in here.

They actually shipped 1.1 million in July, and because they still haven't sold all the units they aren't shipping any new units and you can find it at some retailers for a budget price. The President of enterbrain also recently revealed that Capcom was dissapointed by the sales and that they were expecting much more from it. Monster Hunter is a much bigger franchise today than five years ago, so comparing it to the PS2 entries like some here like to do is also pretty stupid.

No, they shipped 900k+ in July and an additional 100-200k a few weeks later. And no, they never said they were disappointed, that was the president of Enterbrain.

I am, however, impressed at how quickly the backpedaling on this statement has begun. We went from the claim that they were disappointed with sales (false) to the claim that they would never admit being disappointed with sales (an instant contradiction to this and all the Zack & Wiki whining).

I think the delusion that spawns the false hope that DQX will willfully abandon the Wii for the PS3 is starting to affect people's judgement and reasoning skills. This is most present in the spin that claims MH3 bombed and that FFXIII is The Light, despite MH3 outperforming its predecessors and FFXIII generally underperforming. If anything was going to come out of this, it would probably be FF migrating to the Wii.

Shhh! Do you hear that? Is that the sound of Square Enix hastily announcing the next FF13 game for the Wii?

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Gearbox said:
Bamboleo said:
In your dreams.

And MH3 sales are just fine. Better than the previous game on PS2.

u cant use that as an excuse the game wasn't a big hit until the psp....

No you can still use that as an "excuse".  Since Monster Hunter 2 for PS2 came out after the first PSP monster hunter.

Well the one thing i have learned this Gen is "never say never" it always comes back to bite you on the arse. etherway i want it. the last DQ i played (VIII) was great. I loved it as much as FF VII.

assumption is the mother of all f**k ups 

Kasz216 said:
Gearbox said:
Bamboleo said:
In your dreams.

And MH3 sales are just fine. Better than the previous game on PS2.

u cant use that as an excuse the game wasn't a big hit until the psp....

No you can still use that as an "excuse".  Since Monster Hunter 2 for PS2 came out after the first PSP monster hunter.

yea not really, the popularity increased after the 2nd monster hunter, and MH3 on wii is close to 2x MH2 on PS2, it will probably reach that after the re-release.  So yes the popularity did increase between MH2 and MH3, and the sales reflect that so i'm not sure what people are trying to argue.  The console ones have sold less than the handhelds ones in the past and present. 

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X