By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Are SE reconsidering DQX for the PS3?

I can't believe no one has brought up the point that MH3 requires a paid subscription to play online in Japan. One cannot directly compare sales of this game to other RPGs without also accounting for online income. The fact that it has a paid subscription model probably definitely hurts the overall sales that it could have had in Japan otherwise.

I think MH3 will sell very well in the US, especially with the sleek bundle that it is coming in.

Most anticipated games of 2011:

Uncharted 3,Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Rocksmith

Modern Warfare 3, Super Mario 3D

Around the Network
Soriku said:
Hero_time88 said:

If you want too fool yourself, be my guest.

Funny how people take PR talk from devolopers THAT serious.

So you're telling me if the game bombed they would say the game did well? Hahaha. I'm not sure who's the one fooling himself here.

I might have been horribly mistaken, and if so I apologize. But I think Madworld and The Conduit fit within that category...?

Soriku said:
starterman1989 said:
Soriku said:
Hero_time88 said:

If you want too fool yourself, be my guest.

Funny how people take PR talk from devolopers THAT serious.

So you're telling me if the game bombed they would say the game did well? Hahaha. I'm not sure who's the one fooling himself here.

I might have been horribly mistaken, and if so I apologize. But I think Madworld and The Conduit fit within that category...?

There's absolutely no reason why they would lie if the games underperformed. They aren't some sort of super fanboys. They said Conduit sold well and they eventually said MadWorld sales were good too.

Btw, even though pay to play online hurts retail sales for MH3, what if the money made from subscription made a lot of profit to make up for that.

Usually when something sells well, the companies show the numbers to prove it, not some ambiguous "it sold well" statement.

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger

Soriku said:
dolemit3 said:

Usually when something sells well, the companies show the numbers to prove it, not some ambiguous "it sold well" statement.

I don't remember this necessarily being the case, ever...

Mass Effect 2 is the most recent example (2 million in less than a week).

okr said:
DQX on Wii will sell at least 4 million in Japan.

o_O

No it won't...

Around the Network

I wouldn't be so sure about DQX selling 3 million + on Wii after seeing that Monster Hunter 3 is still struggling to sell 1 million.

routsounmanman said:
Conveniently, you don't mention that also FFXIII sold below expectations (SE's president hopes for FFVII volume of sales)

Meanwhile, Capcom praised the performance of MH3 and highlighted it as a key software to the profits posted (Q2 I think). Not to mention another 1 million copies is guaranteed with Nintendo's push in the West.

They kind of had to hope because of the big budget and time in development.

Soriku said:
dolemit3 said:
Soriku said:
dolemit3 said:

I don't remember this necessarily being the case, ever...

Mass Effect 2 is the most recent example (2 million in less than a week).

OK but that's for blockbuster hits. Not every game is a blockbuster and they don't need to tell the numbers for every game to know whether it was a success or not.

I don't remember hearing VC numbers for example but they still made a sequel.

Boutros said:
okr said:
DQX on Wii will sell at least 4 million in Japan.

o_O

No it won't...

It'll sell 3 mil absolute minimum.

I don't know...

That would be 25-33% of Wii owners...

Soriku said:
dolemit3 said:
I wouldn't be so sure about DQX selling 3 million + on Wii after seeing that Monster Hunter 3 is still struggling to sell 1 million.

How can you compare a console MH and DQ at all...

They are both handheld juggernauts that are frequently mistaken for console juggernauts.

come on guys, DQ is gonna sell over 2 million easily on 4 different systems in Japan. DQ does not require high tech graphics as Japan clearly displayed by making DQ9 the best selling DQ in the series. There's no reason to make a super high budget HD DQ game, most fans don't demand it and even those that demand it will buy it anyways. DQ sells to the masses in Japan, that's why it is able to sell 4 million even though in the west it appears more like a niche game. If they feel they need to make it on a console then i see no reason to choose the PS3 over the wii.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X