By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Are SE reconsidering DQX for the PS3?

johnsobas said:
Kasz216 said:
Gearbox said:
Bamboleo said:
In your dreams.

And MH3 sales are just fine. Better than the previous game on PS2.

u cant use that as an excuse the game wasn't a big hit until the psp....

No you can still use that as an "excuse".  Since Monster Hunter 2 for PS2 came out after the first PSP monster hunter.

yea not really, the popularity increased after the 2nd monster hunter, and MH3 on wii is close to 2x MH2 on PS2, it will probably reach that after the re-release.  So yes the popularity did increase between MH2 and MH3, and the sales reflect that so i'm not sure what people are trying to argue.  The console ones have sold less than the handhelds ones in the past and present. 

The popularity kept increasing.  However the series was a hit at the first PSP release... and the PS2 release floundered afterwords.

Around the Network
dolemit3 said:
Soriku said:
dolemit3 said:
I wouldn't be so sure about DQX selling 3 million + on Wii after seeing that Monster Hunter 3 is still struggling to sell 1 million.

How can you compare a console MH and DQ at all...

They are both handheld juggernauts that are frequently mistaken for console juggernauts.

People said that about New Super Mario Bros.  Look what happened.

DQX will do over 3.5m.  Swords sold as well as the PS2 DQ spinoffs (Torneko 3, Yangus), I wouldn't expect the mainline to deviate much.

hahahahahah. XD

Soriku said:
starterman1989 said:
Soriku said:
Hero_time88 said:

If you want too fool yourself, be my guest.

Funny how people take PR talk from devolopers THAT serious.

So you're telling me if the game bombed they would say the game did well? Hahaha. I'm not sure who's the one fooling himself here.

I might have been horribly mistaken, and if so I apologize. But I think Madworld and The Conduit fit within that category...?

There's absolutely no reason why they would lie if the games underperformed. They aren't some sort of super fanboys. They said Conduit sold well and they eventually said MadWorld sales were good too.

Btw, even though pay to play online hurts retail sales for MH3, what if the money made from subscription made a lot of profit to make up for that.

Glad to see you saying their comments about how they perform well. In that case, I might not be too mistaken. Here's the article:

http://www.gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=109632

I would love to see it happen.

Around the Network
jarrod said:
dolemit3 said:
Soriku said:
dolemit3 said:
I wouldn't be so sure about DQX selling 3 million + on Wii after seeing that Monster Hunter 3 is still struggling to sell 1 million.

They are both handheld juggernauts that are frequently mistaken for console juggernauts.

DQX will do over 3.5m.  Swords sold as well as the PS2 DQ spinoffs (Torneko 3, Yangus), I wouldn't expect the mainline to deviate much.

3.5 million seems... high.

Though the "handheld juggernaught" thing is a laugh.

Only 3 Dragon Quest games out of 9 have done 3.5 million or over.  Sales of Dragon Quest games seem very much to be quality based.

Hmm... as much as I've liked the DQ series, it seems as though I've a little more pessimistic view on it. First week easily flies by 1 million, possibly 2. But I'm seeing the lack of portability cutting off DQXs legs, leading to total sales of 2.5-3 million for Japan. If S-E announces the quest download mechanic present in 9, then add 500K to my predictions, but with how big Japan is into portables, I don't think 10 can outsell 9.

-dunno001

-On a quest for the truly perfect game; I don't think it exists...

Kasz216 said:
jarrod said:
dolemit3 said:
Soriku said:
dolemit3 said:

Only 3 Dragon Quest games out of 9 have done 3.5 million or over.  Sales of Dragon Quest games seem very much to be quality based.

Those 3 of 9 were the last 3 installments though.  A Dragon Quest hasn't sold under 3.5m in well over a decade, I don't expect Wii to break that trend.

DQX is basically Dragon Quest "coming home" again.  It's going to be HUGE, with a big push towards nostalgia.  I think it'll be comparable to what Mario went through in terms of audience and pull, though not quite as big.

jarrod said:
Kasz216 said:
jarrod said:
dolemit3 said:
Soriku said:
dolemit3 said:

Those 3 of 9 were the last 3 installments though.  A Dragon Quest hasn't sold under 3.5m in well over a decade, I don't expect Wii to break that trend.

DQX is basically Dragon Quest "coming home" again.  It's going to be HUGE, with a big push towards nostalgia.  I think it'll be comparable to what Mario went through in terms of audience and pull, though not quite as big.

Dragon Quest 7 did over 3.5?

I have them as DQ 9, DQ 8 and DW3.

Ah, it did. Weirdly it didn't show up in my search earlier.

It does in top selling Japanese games...

The top 13 selling games of all time in Japan are either Nintendo or Dragon Quest.

Broken up by FF7 at 14.

Followed by Nintendo and Dragon Quest to 18.

19 being Monster Hunter....

and 20 being Wii Sports.

Japan sure loves Nintendo and DQ.

Ok yeah.... Less then 3.5 million probably is a disappointment.

And I thought less then 2 million for Final Fantasy was high expectations.

Knew DQ was bigger then FF, but not one and a half times bigger.  Thought it was more head to head then that.