By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - SMG2, Zelda Wii, and Metroid: Other M release dates

No, I haven't got any sort of inside info or rumoured dates.

This is about predicting when each of these three titles will release. When do you guys think they'll each happen? So far, it looks like they're all going to be 2010 releases - at least, for Japan.

To discuss, Nintendo needs one of these to happen before summer. Metroid: Other M seems like the ideal solution - Metroid is still fresh in people's minds following Trilogy, and nobody's really Metroid'd out since Trilogy was just a re-release. I'm predicting late May or early June. Since Nintendo loves Sunday releases, I'll place it on May 30 for the US. I have no Japanese prediction.

That leaves us with the two others. This is a much more difficult decision. Which is the more important title to Nintendo - Mario Galaxy 2 or Zelda Wii? Mario undoubtedly will sell better and make Nintendo a ton more cash (especially since it likely isn't running on a brand new engine), while Zelda Wii has been in the works for a ton more time and is undoubtedly more highly anticipated.

So it comes down to this. The earlier release will get more time to build up into the holiday season, relying more on legs than frontloaded sales leading into Christmas 2010. The later release - which needs to be at least a month, preferrably two months, later - will be a lot more about heavy holiday sales, weaning itself off of the massive sales jump going into 2011.

Since we already know Nintendo frequently releases their late-year Mario titles in November, and the beginning of November will follow precisely 3 years after the release of Mario Galaxy 1, I'm going to place SMG2 with November 5th and 14th release dates - Japan and Americas, respectfully. Yeah, that's a long wait after the game's rumoured completion (E3 '09 stated SMG2 was "nearly complete"). I expect Nintendo did three things. One, they learned from Sunshine not to release their biggest console titles early in the year, especially if they rely on "hardcore" sales. Two, they decided that NSMBW deserved a huge window, and releasing SMG2 too close to it was stupid, so they planned to wait a full year after NSMBW to the date when SMG1 would be three years old. And three, they gave themselves time to tweak the game bit-by-bit and present us with complete Wii 3D Mario perfection.

And that leaves us with Zelda Wii as the big question. This has been in the works for years - rumours go as far back as even before Twilight Princess saw store shelves. That would mean that a release after 2010 would mean a full 4+ years of this game slowly awaiting release. That's a LONG time. And more, that would also mean over 4 years between console Zelda releases. Many thought for certain that Zelda Wii was going to see its release last year in late September, especially when E3 was rumoured to have Zelda information coming... Then E3 just teased with a single image, and Zelda fans groaned. Surely that meant no 2009 release, and with no 2009 release, we weren't going to see Zelda Wii until Fall 2010. And many even tried saying it would be longer than that, but that effectively would put too much time between releases, as I said earlier.

So, I'm going to predict an early September release. I think Zelda Wii will sell through the rest of the year with a massive release explosion that built up over a long summer of drooling fans after the E3 announcement of its release date (also the demo of Miyamoto himself playing Zelda Wii at E3 - sorry, fans won't be allowed). Zelda Wii will open with tremendous sales - an opening week of 2m+ - then sell rather well through the next two months until Mario Galaxy 2 releases and ushers in the holiday season. Then Zelda Wii will follow just behind Mario Galaxy 2 through into 2011, and the two together will be the two best-selling titles of the 2010 holiday season.

And when do I precisely predict Zelda Wii's release? Actually, an imprecise Late August date for Japan, with September 5 for the West.

How about y'all?

SW-5120-1900-6153

Around the Network

I'm not as immediately sure that Galaxy will be a bigger seller than Zelda Wii, especially given that some don't expect SMG2 to sell as well as the original.

As to release dates? Not a clue!

Mario in September Zelda in Nov

Don't get me wrong; I think Zelda Wii will ultimately sell more. But when it's two months older than SMG2 going into the holiday season, I can't help but expect SMG2 will sell better during that window.

After the holiday season, I expect Zelda Wii will gradually take the weekly sales lead again.

@Ninten78 - do you have any logic to defend that prediction? Mario has seen TWO major console releases in the time that Zelda has seen one, and both more recent. And with only a window of 10 months between major console Mario releases, that will end up only hurting SMG2's sales AND damage NSMBW's legs as well. They want to milk out NSMBW as long as possible, I think, and diminish their reliance on traditional Mario titles with other major AAA hits. Unless you've got good logic, I don't see that order being how it happens. I almost assuredly have to place Mario as the last title this year.

SW-5120-1900-6153

Do u see Zelda in 2010

Around the Network

I also see Galaxy 2 coming later in the year. NSMBWii might appeal to a different audience in part, but I think Nintendo may fear that Galaxy 2 will be eaten alive by the evergreen goliath.

Vitality Sensor - early July - we were told it would release ASAP after E3.

Other M - mid August - confirmed a summer title in Nintendo's investor relations meeting, however we don't know if that is Japan only. Due to the recent history of the series, I expect another August launch.

Galaxy - mid october - If zelda is to release in 2010, it would be the big holiday title with galaxy coming right before. Also, they have The Last Story, and Xenoblade (spring) both coming out in 2010 at least in Japan, so this wouldn't be set to release at the same time, so this timeslot fits.

Zelda - late november - confirmed a 2010 title. Delays could push it out, but none of been announced. Nintendo also mentioned it during their investor relations meeting right after they said they wanted to mention their lineup of 2010 games. Due to the fact that this is the "bigger" game from the development standpoint it makes sense that it isn't as complete as Galaxy 2 is and hence needs that extra month to get ready.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Zelda definitely for November, to counter CoD7.

SMG2 in the black friday

Other M for October.

i dont see zelda for wii coming out this year at all....... i wish it would but there is no way in my opion.....we havent even seen the first trailer for it yet............. we havent even seen one game play screen shoot............ i cant wait for zelda wii but i dont think it will be this year.......mario galaxy 2 proubly will come out this year........

Super Mario Galaxy 2:May 2010
Metroid Other M:Augest 2010
Zelda Wii(2):December 2010
Pikmin 3:TBA 2010(Just wanted to put that in there)