By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Endless Ocean - First Impressions

Took delivery of the game today and only been able to play for a very short time.

If you do not know about this game or have not seen any footage go to gametrailers and check out the gameplay footage.

I picked this up for £17.99 but have since found it slightly cheaper. Its a budget title and if I was asked to pay full price I wouldn't. The game feels like it was headed for something bigger but was cut back and made much simpler.

It's essentially an very calm exploration game, at no point are you or the sea life in any danger from anything. Its all very relaxing (yes you can just sit in a sun chair and soak up the rays). You can customize the music (mp3's on SD card) and swim with a buddy (wi-fi)

I have much more to do and see in this game so I will provide some more substantial feedback later.

If you like what you see from the footage and can find it at a budget price get it.

What with SMG, RE:UC and Medal Of Honour all being released this month this game is likely to be left by the wayside, but if your not into those hardcore games get it.

Around the Network

Nah i said it cause. I couldn't find it interesting and the main point i get a game in the challenge myself. not have no objectives and look for rare fish.

Own all Sony Stuff PS123P

Feburday 28th will be a Owner of a Wii

Currently playing: Need for Speed Pro Street

Games i own:
NEED FOR SPEED PRO STREET ,DW6 ,WARHAWK ,COD4,JUICED 2 ,RESISTANCE, MOTORSTORM

Games im lookin forward to:
UT3 (Ps3) , HAZE (Ps3) , KZ2 (Ps3) , MGS4 (Ps3) , SSBB (WII) , GT5 (Ps3) LBP (Ps3)
08 Predictions

Wii: 45,000,000
Ds: 90,000,000
PS3: 25,000,000
PSP: 40,000,000
360: 26,000,000
RobMate said:
Nah i said it cause. I couldn't find it interesting and the main point i get a game in the challenge myself. not have no objectives and look for rare fish.

point taken. I got it cause i like scuba diving and wanted to see whether the game can capture the feeling.

I think it does deliver on that to a certain extent. and part of scuba diving is feeling tranquil and at peace (except for fighting with the goggles and the leaking tank and of course the one size too small/big fins the guy at the store said would get more comfortable with water in them)

@tmbh: Yes, it does feel like it is meant for something bigger. The potential of this game is awe-inspiring yet has not bee fulfilled. 

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

I used to play "Treasures of the Deep" in PS1 and I got realy dissapointed with Endless Ocean, I was hopping the same kind of gameplay that we have in TotD, but it was just a "relaxation game".

I still hope someone to make a ocean-treasure-hunting game like TotD someday... I just don't understand why gamespot give it a 5.5 while everybody rated it 90+, and it was good:
http://www.gamespot.com/ps/action/treasuresofthedeep/review.html?mode=web

www.cuidar.com.br

Faxanadu said:
ArtofAngels said:
That was the weirdest read ever....

Thank you, I appreciate that. I figured you could get real reviews on the internets somewhere more reliable than from me. So I rather posted my feelings and impressions. And what I really took away from the game were those statements. I mean you are asked to be a scuba diving guide and you can earn some equipment that way - but they always add - only if you want to etc. Quite funny.

And after the first exploration you get the keys to the boat and can go anywhere you want to it seems. some more training (maybe start as a scuba newbie, then do the padi stuff at least a bit, hence opening up more "difficult" (cave dive, below 20 metres, etc.) areas would have been cool) would have added some to the storyline. It seems like caves and night diving might be allowed only later on, but that I dont know yet

So overall very enjoyable, but not with too much focus. Thats what I wanted to convey. 

Night Diving, Cave Diving and Deeper Diving are allowed later in the game. I really like the graphics of the mermaid-cave. There are also some other aspects like Dolphin Training. (But I don't know for what it is useful.)

It is really a nice little game, which shouldn't be overlooked. I use it for relaxing after games with more action ...

It is really relaxing to sit in your sunchair, when an icebear resides on your boat.

Around the Network
hentai_11 said:
Faxanadu said:
ArtofAngels said:
That was the weirdest read ever....

It seems like caves and night diving might be allowed only later on, but that I dont know yet.

So overall very enjoyable, but not with too much focus. Thats what I wanted to convey.

Night Diving, Cave Diving and Deeper Diving are allowed later in the game. I really like the graphics of the mermaid-cave. There are also some other aspects like Dolphin Training. (But I don't know for what it is useful.)

It is really a nice little game, which shouldn't be overlooked. I use it for relaxing after games with more action ...

It is really relaxing to sit in your sunchair, when an icebear resides on your boat.

Nice to hear that. I guess it opens up with new equipment? It didnt seem skills driven.

Anyways, seems like you already got to those 2nd or 3rd impressions, unlike my 1st ones. 

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

oh, and dolphin training is for training dolphins. simple as that.

All you guys make this game sound so mysterious and blissful! Now I have to find out!

Favorite Companies: Nintendo, Blizzard, Valve.
Recent New Favorites: Grasshopper, Atlus. (R.I.P. Clover.)
Heroes/Homies: Shigeru Miyamoto, Gunpei Yokoi, Will Wright, Eric Chahi, Suda51, Brian Eno, David Bowie.
Haiku Group: Haiku Hell.
Nemeses: Snesboy, fkusumot. 
GameDaily Article that Interviewed Me: Console Defense Forces.

Rubang B said:
All you guys make this game sound so mysterious and blissful! Now I have to find out!

judging from what little I know about you, you might enjoy the game. 

Your second point i wouldn't want in the game, a diving sim would be fine but having to do everything you do in real life would be frustrating and dull, kind of against the relaxing point (I'm guessing you are a diver, which is why you were annoyed)
The first point I am not too bothered about, i know not to touch real fish (unless they are on a plate) but at least it doesn't actually show the divers hand reaching out, it's just a little hand shaped pointer right?

The last point i agree with definately, from the images i have seen it looks rather bland, but then most of the undersea is rather bland unless you are in one of the rare interesting bits. (ie where people dive) It could have been made much more lush and full of life i think...thoug i haven't got the game yet, so i am basing that on the images i have seen.