By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will The Last Story and Xenoblade outsell Tales of Grace in Japan?

Will The Last Story and Xenoblade outsell Tales of Grace in Japan?

Hell ya! Both will be bigger than ToG. 38 40.00%

Nope. Both will fail miserablely. 13 13.68%

Only if the reviews are good... 5 5.26%

Only The Last Story will. 22 23.16%

Only Xenoblade will. 3 3.16%

It will if you combine th... 14 14.74%

Total:95

I think it depends on how much Nintendo backs them up, but I do believe both of them has potential to outsell Tales of Graces.

Around the Network
forest-spirit said:
I think it depends on how much Nintendo backs them up, but I do believe both of them has potential to outsell Tales of Graces.

Yeah, this is really the most reasonable answer.  I could easily see Xenoblade cruising past 300k, but I could just as easily see it crash and burn Soma Bringer style.

We know even less about The Last Story, but from the Gooch hints it at least sounds like a big deal (prototype in the works since FFVII).  Depends on who's co-developing and how Nintendo handles everything.  If Nintendo wants it to be big though, it'll be big.  If they don't give a shit, it'll turn out like ASH. :/

Kenryoku_Maxis said:
Its pure speculation at this point. We haven't even seen gameplay footage, let alone marketing or publicity from Nintendo itself.

My take is that, if Sakaguchi couldn't help sell XBOX360 and DS units in Japan, then he may not be as strong of a force as people believe he is. His Wii offering may be just that, his 'Last Story' to prove if he can deliver a game to satisfy the masses beyond just Final Fantasy (or a game similar to it).

As for Xenoblade, its a sequel of a sequel series of a game that was on Playstation. There's really no way to gauge how well it'll be received. Frankly, I feel its gonna be an uphill battle to make that title popular and even after all that work, it may only sell to those who already liked Xenosaga at the end of the PS2. Which wasn't much (Xenosaga Episode III only sold around 180,000 units total). So while the 'name' of Xenoblade is big, its sales may not be. The only way they may get people to buy the game is a big media push and trying to market it as a totally different game.

THis is different (regarding The LAst Story)

Sakaguchi has this game in prototype since FF7

thie project is way bigger than BLue Dragon or Lost Oddesy was

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

jarrod said:
forest-spirit said:

Yeah, this is really the most reasonable answer.  I could easily see Xenoblade cruising past 300k, but I could just as easily see it crash and burn Soma Bringer style.

We know even less about The Last Story, but from the Gooch hints it at least sounds like a big deal (prototype in the works since FFVII).  Depends on who's co-developing and how Nintendo handles everything.  If Nintendo wants it to be big though, it'll be big.  If they don't give a shit, it'll turn out like ASH. :/

I do hope that Nintendo takes the chance and market both games. With those two games it would be a great opportunity to build up a JRPG fanbase on the Wii before DQX arrives.

If The Last Story does use Vitality Sensor as has been implied, maybe Nintendo is looking to this being a bridge title, a big RPG for the Japanese expanded market. If so, it'll outsell ToG by a longshot.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Around the Network
darthdevidem01 said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:
Its pure speculation at this point. We haven't even seen gameplay footage, let alone marketing or publicity from Nintendo itself.

My take is that, if Sakaguchi couldn't help sell XBOX360 and DS units in Japan, then he may not be as strong of a force as people believe he is. His Wii offering may be just that, his 'Last Story' to prove if he can deliver a game to satisfy the masses beyond just Final Fantasy (or a game similar to it).

As for Xenoblade, its a sequel of a sequel series of a game that was on Playstation. There's really no way to gauge how well it'll be received. Frankly, I feel its gonna be an uphill battle to make that title popular and even after all that work, it may only sell to those who already liked Xenosaga at the end of the PS2. Which wasn't much (Xenosaga Episode III only sold around 180,000 units total). So while the 'name' of Xenoblade is big, its sales may not be. The only way they may get people to buy the game is a big media push and trying to market it as a totally different game.

Then hopefully it'll turn out to be something truly unique.  But considering many people really got into his games with Final Fantasy VII and later, and those games had heavy influence from other parties (such as Tetsuya Nomura and Yoshinori Kitase, among others), some people might be in for dissapointment if they're looking for an experience 'like' FFVII or later.  This could end up being just like Lost Oddessy or another of his previous FF games (pre FFVII) in theory. 

Part of what makes a game more unique, at least in my opinion, is the inclusion of multiple people to the project to voice their own concepts and ideas.  Since he's mostly gone off to establish his own company and do his own thing, he's working mostly just on his own ideas.  So we'll have to see if this game turns out to be truly unique or more like the games he's made in the past.

Honestly, I'm hoping this is a completely fresh project that could take JRPGs into a whole new direction.  But we'll just have to see.  Just going by Sakaguchis previous works however, he does seem to stick to common character themes and gameplay formulas so that might happen to this game is all I'm saying.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Kenryoku_Maxis said:

Then hopefully it'll turn out to be something truly unique.  But considering many people really got into his games with Final Fantasy VII and later, and those games had heavy influence from other parties (such as Tetsuya Nomura and Yoshinori Kitase, among others), some people might be in for dissapointment if they're looking for an experience 'like' FFVII or later.  This could end up being just like Lost Oddessy or another of his previous FF games (pre FFVII) in theory. 

Part of what makes a game more unique, at least in my opinion, is the inclusion of multiple people to the project to voice their own concepts and ideas.  Since he's mostly gone off to establish his own company and do his own thing, he's working mostly just on his own ideas.  So we'll have to see if this game turns out to be truly unique or more like the games he's made in the past.

Honestly, I'm hoping this is a completely fresh project that could take JRPGs into a whole new direction.  But we'll just have to see.  Just going by Sakaguchis previous works however, he does seem to stick to common character themes and gameplay formulas so that might happen to this game is all I'm saying.

If he's working with Nintendo, he can't go George Lucas on us. They keep even Miyamoto on a fairly tight leash. No doubt this will involve ideas from many people, and more importantly, Nintendo enforced diligence.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Kenryoku_Maxis said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:

All this is from his blog:

http://www.mistwalkercorp.com/en/col...lumn1_eng.html

We've completed several projects, and Mistwalker's first wave has passed. Even as we reflect on our many experiences, we embark on our next journey. There are many things to accomplish.

・New ideas
・Combining the scenario and game system
・Real time
・Ideas that are emotionally moving

We're doing research & development from a prototype that I haven't worked on since FF7. We're finished with that for now. There were a lot of trials and errors, and it took longer than expected, but it was an unexpectedly good challenge. I'm reminded again of how "it pays when things are working," so taking advantage of what a prototype offers, there were many trials and ideas that didn't seem to work out, but I think we made a new feeling and experience. From here on out is a phase in which we take steps towards our next product. The scenario is still just a rough plot. We brainstorm, rethink, and exchange ideas every day. Anyway, the whole team is moving towards those "new ideas." Our struggling efforts may reach us even higher than our first wave, and take us to the next level. So, that's what we hope for !

So for now, here's my first entry.

But this isn't Cry On right? As far as I know it's just Sakaguchi working on CO, and not MW, right?

Small update:

Originally Posted by Sakaguchi:
Right now, I’m making a game and I’m going through quite a bit of trial and error. My main objective will be to not be embarrassed in calling it the ‘next gen’ RPG. While characters, maps and other essentials are developed in parallel, the game system is tweaked daily. It’s been going on for a year. Feels like it never ends…but there should be a solution ahead. I’m starting to see it a bit. Finally.

After tiring myself over these thoughts, I build Legos.....

Another update 1-7-09

Something New

New Project Finally Half Way Through

I’ve finally reached half way up the mountain in regards to the latest project I’m on. Of course, there is a lot of work left to do, but I feel it’s approaching something I wanted to achieve. I’m betting a lot on this project.

Oh, and I have an announcement.....
the project, “Cry On,” is no longer in production. I had a lot of special feelings behind the story of the Rock Giant and the young girl, but I regret not being able to go with it.

That being said, I’m starting a completely new, large scale project, different from this. I can’t reveal the platform, release date or the content of the game itself, but I’m putting my full strength into this project; including 120% of my emotions.

“Something new” is always a difficult proposition.
Challenging the idea, I find the energy from myself and sense the feeling of living. Sense of fulfillment; I sincerely feel the importance of it.

May 4th update:

Planning to basically put importance on having seamless control of the overall direction of the game, mixed with CG spectacle scenes. Controls will have a bit of a trick to it, while having a blend of RPG-type strategy and growth. Behaviors based on interaction with the situation around you...wait, I'm not supposed to say more than this… (^^;

Sometime this year, it seems I'll be able to announce what this new project is. During that time, we will try and post model artwork, behind the scenes stories, as well as introductions to staff who worked on the development. With all the different elements and staff putting their "heart and soul" into it, it feels different from projects until now, but in a good way. Please look forward to it.

http://www.mistwalkercorp.com/en/column_eng/pg115.html

New pic

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

He has mentioned many times this is a new direction for RPG's & its is "true nex-gen"

In nintendo's press briefing they said it would be a "new form of RPG"

who knows what all this means, there are rumors the vitality sensor will be used with it

If your hoping for this to be a fresh project that takes JRPG's in a new direction, then get hyped!!!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Don't know. Last Xeno games didn't do well in terms of sales, and they were released for the most popular console of all time : PS2. Xenosaga Episode 1 was a high budget game (i love it), but focused so much on cutscenes and sci-fi themes. They tried to make a game for Americans and Japanese at the same time and failed. They are probably trying to use Wii to release a lower budget game and rise from the ground they are now (sadly)

jarrod said:
Hero_time88 said:

If the president of Enterbrain is right (game like-games don't sell on the Wii) they will probably bomb just like ToG.

Since I don't live in Japan and that guy knows more about the Japanese market than everyone here, I'l go with what he says.

He was talking about 3rd party games.  These are both Nintendo games, who's "game-like games" tend to smoke everyone else.

Especially Punch-out, Fatal Frame IV and Sin & Punishment 2 (sold less than the avarage cave shooter on the 360).

I would say the mainstream Nintendo games