By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Marvelous execs take pay cuts instead of layoffs of the lower orders

Kudos. Much respect for this move. Although I haven't played any of their games, since I don't own a Wii, I wish them the best of luck. We need more companies like this... instead of complaining about the company no making enough money, they could employ this strategy for the greater good.. *looks at Bobby Kotick*

Around the Network
trashleg said:
any chance we can show this to the UK Bank execs? no? how about the politicians?

Politicians in my country already have.

Because my country is better than yours.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Demotruk said:
trashleg said:
any chance we can show this to the UK Bank execs? no? how about the politicians?

What a weird comment. Well done for your patriotism.

To trashleg, we'd hope but knowing how our banks work, it's sadly unlikely.

On topic, I guess it makes sense, more so in this instant. If they got rid of the staff then they'd have no one to get work done, but as long as the pay decreases mean that everyone is still paid more then their next level down or whatever, people won't argue.

Hmm, pie.

This is an example many other corporations should take. Thank you, Marvelous. I will be a lot more likely to buy your games now.

The Fury said:
Demotruk said:
trashleg said:

What a weird comment. Well done for your patriotism.

To trashleg, we'd hope but knowing how our banks work, it's sadly unlikely.

On topic, I guess it makes sense, more so in this instant. If they got rid of the staff then they'd have no one to get work done, but as long as the pay decreases mean that everyone is still paid more then their next level down or whatever, people won't argue.

It was a joke, though perhaps not a very good one.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Around the Network

Game developers are too costly...

a very japanese strategy.

now if american companies did the same.

This is how a company gets respect from its employees. Start cutting from the top, and work your way down.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

A very nice example.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

gansito said:
time to change strategies and make games for XBLA and PSN as well marvelous, stop bleeding money on the wii, exclusivity is not the way to go.

They shifted away from Wii like half a year ago.  If they're doing badly now, it's due to low revenues from more recent DS & PSP projects (Luminous Arc 3, Rune Factory 3, Sakura Note, Hitman Reborn, Postpet, etc).

edit: And PSN/XBLA would be a sure route to failure, they'd just be trading one set of huge problems (distribution/inventory/retail concerns) for another (userbase/awareness/pricepoint concerns).  Digital isn't the way out for Japanese companies making games for a mainly Japanese audience.