By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - UK politician: Games cause kids to lose their childhood

I was gonna say he has a point, then I read the quote....

But children loosing their childhood is not entirely false. Though sometimes it's beyond video games.

I always wanted to play in a soccer team as a kid... but there was no team in my town, so I played that much more video games...
The real reason is no team in my town, the thing my parents would see is me playing games... meh!

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Around the Network

There is currently more evidence that Football causes people to become violent than there is evidence that video games cause people to become violent. If you ask me video games should be just as much a part of children's lives as anything else.

In no way do I think football isn't great and it is able to contribute to children's life positively like video games.

PSWii

i agree with mr smith.

Kantor said:
I think alcohol should be banned because children might get their hands on it.

Indeed, u see kids get alcohol quite easy these days.

Tbone said:
Kantor said:
I think alcohol should be banned because children might get their hands on it.

Indeed, u see kids get alcohol quite easy these days.

I had videogames and alcohol and I turned out fine :P

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia

Around the Network

Schools. Schools cause kids to lose their childhood. I can't remember much of my childhood and thats because I know most of it was _boring_ as hell cause I was sitting in classroom trying to absorb bullshit.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

dharh said:
Schools. Schools cause kids to lose their childhood. I can't remember much of my childhood and thats because I know most of it was _boring_ as hell cause I was sitting in classroom trying to absorb bullshit.

Precisely. Let's ban schools.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

TV stripped me of my childhood at age 7 with South Park.

Want to ban that too, Mr. I-know-everything-because-I-know-what-kids-think-and-I-studied-psychology?

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

If he said WoW, I would've agreed, that game and any MMO should be AO and carry a very big warning label and a quick-dial to the nearest psychiatric clinic. Video games are in dozes larger than 2 hours per day detrimental to one's childhood, but whether they are violent or not is less important, more important is the atmosphere of the game and its general message. I wouldn't even blink if i saw a 7 year old play God of War or GTA, but games like postal will screw anyone up.

Kids need an active and (direct)social lifestyle to grow up healthy, but games that fall within their age are no worse than any other detached passive activities like watching TV, playing with toys, reading or surfing the internet.

I must actually apologize for the flaming nature of my first post in this forum. The combination of that guy's face and his statements made me mad very quickly :)