By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Investigating PS3 Hack Allegations

Sony has revealed it is investigating allegations that the PS3 has been hacked.

Earlier today, we reported how George Hotz, the iPhone 2G hacker, claims to have gained access to the PS3’s system memory and processor which, if true, may have profound piracy implications for Sony.

We contacted Sony on the issue and a spokesperson confirmed that the company is looking in to the issue.

"We are investigating the report and will clarify the situation once we have more information," said the statement.

Stay tuned to IncGamers for more on this as we get it.

http://www.incgamers.com/News/20648/sony-investigating-ps3-hack-allegations

Around the Network

If this supposed hack is getting Sony's attention it could be the real deal.

It doesn't sound like it's getting attention.

"We are investigating the report and will clarify the situation once we have more information" sounds like the kind of generic response that big companies often give to people they don't think are very important. Kind of like how someone who fails an audition gets told "we'll call you" or something.

It's possible that Sony have been investigating the report ever since it came out, but TBH I think the writer of that article was just looking for a story to fill up column inches (or pixels).

bet Sony pays the guy alot to work for them, he would be able to stop anyone else from hacking it. good move from SONY if it all turns out to be true

Why are there SONY labelled S.W.A.T. trucks in my front ya...

4 ≈ One

Around the Network

One quick little firmware update by Sony will destroy however many hours he put into hacking the PS3. If it's even true.

They can investigate all they want but they have no legal right to take any sort of action other than try to provide a patch to stop this. Even if the hack is distributed they can't take action, as long as its distributed for free.

Sony is prolly quick on their feet when it comes to hacking and piracy considering the debacle that the PSP was.

Dgc1808 said:
Why are there SONY labelled S.W.A.T. trucks in my front ya...

How do you think I feel? I have a helghast dropship sitting in my frontyard!

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

If this is true...I'm hacking my PS3 the MOMENT it releases. I've been waiting years to actually makes use of the consoles power.

Well, better get ready for some blu-ray burning action :

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817607027&nm_mc=OTC-sho6b0tCA&cm_mmc=OTC-sho6b0tCA-_-CD/DVD+R/RW+Media-_-VinPower-_-17607027