By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Investigating PS3 Hack Allegations

geddesmond2 said:
disolitude said:
They can investigate all they want but they have no legal right to take any sort of action other than try to provide a patch to stop this. Even if the hack is distributed they can't take action, as long as its distributed for free.

Sony is prolly quick on their feet when it comes to hacking and piracy considering the debacle that the PSP was.

You should read the Sony terms and conditions again mate cause your wrong

Sony terms & conditions come second after a law of the country mate. In my country sony can't do shit if I hack my console. Only if I pirate can they proceed and prosecute me.

Around the Network
poroporo said:
greenmedic88 said:
poroporo said:
Well you can play on Xbox Live with burned discs, so doing the same on PSN should be possible.

The Xbox and the PS3 are two entirely separate beasts. The fact that it's taken three years for someone to allegedly hack the hardware should have illustrated that it simply has better anti-piracy measures implemented, some undoubtedly tied in to PSN.

He started working on it 5 weeks ago.

Not impressed at all.

Took 5 weeks, 3 in Boston, 2 here, very simple hardware cleverly applied, and some not so simple software.

Right. This of course completly ignores the three years the community spent learning about the system, understanding the CPU's, RAM, getting Linux to run on it, documenting limitations, discussing ideas, trying different things...this guy has a LOT of knowledge base to draw on. It's not like he lived in a cave, bought a PS3 and worked it out all by his lonesome in 5 weeks.

It took Boeing 7 years to get the 787 dream liner in the air. It holds over 250 people and can fly 10,000km.  It took the wright brothers TEN whole freakin years to get their single passenger plane to fly 250m. Not impressed with the wright brothers, nope, not at all!

Trying to convince me the Wii is a real adult game machine 'if you play it right' is like trying to convince me Tofu tastes great 'if you just cook it right'

KBG29 said:
I have no issue with hacking a system to earn kudos points, but when shit like this gets released I think the person that releases it should be given the death sentence. This is peoples lives we are talking about. A lot of people hate Sony, so it turn they are sitting in wait, hoping the hack rrives so they don't have to pay another dollar to them to play games. That is BS. This goes way beyond Sony. It extends to the whole industry, and its not the companies it effects. Companies can perform like shit, and if they are big enough the government is right there to bail them out. It is us, the working man that gets ucked by these hacks. We loose our jobs, and oppertunities to find other work in the feild gets harder.

I hope for the sake of every employee working on software for PS3, that this possible situation is taken care of.

Why do people hate Sony? 

because they lay on the DRm a little too thick...

Taken from YOUR sig:

"wish #2 Less DRM on the PSN video store, and the addition of music"

OK, the hack removes DRM from videos. Still hate the hack now? Still willing to kill to prevent it? Hmmm....

Trying to convince me the Wii is a real adult game machine 'if you play it right' is like trying to convince me Tofu tastes great 'if you just cook it right'

Well this is now being reported on the BBC so I guess it is gaining credibility. The one worrying thing I took from the BBC article was not only the fact he intends to let the world have all the information but that he would be supplying the root key he discovered ensuring that this will be the flood gates.

The guy seemed pretty determined with regards the iPhone providing updates so no reason to believe he will not do the same here.

Ultimately though it will depend on how easy it will for joe schmo to implement on his own PS3. I am thinking it will be a little more complicated.

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.
disolitude said:
geddesmond2 said:
disolitude said:
They can investigate all they want but they have no legal right to take any sort of action other than try to provide a patch to stop this. Even if the hack is distributed they can't take action, as long as its distributed for free.

Sony is prolly quick on their feet when it comes to hacking and piracy considering the debacle that the PSP was.

You should read the Sony terms and conditions again mate cause your wrong

Sony terms & conditions come second after a law of the country mate. In my country sony can't do shit if I hack my console. Only if I pirate can they proceed and prosecute me.

Be careful with gross generalizations there. If a hack is distrubuted that 'harms' Sony, they can, and will,  take action. The definition of 'harms' is up to Sony to define first. Harming their reputation is enough. True, a judge may redefine the definition of 'harm' at your very, very expensive trial and find you have not harmed Sony and the hack is therefore legal. But unless you can afford a very, very expensive trial I wouldn't be bragging about your hacked PS3!

Countries with the strongest public participation in the court system are more prone to be influenced by deep pockets as they are more easily bought*. So if you live in the USA, Sony wins automatically.  Canada, Australia and other common law countreis also give Sony a big advantage. European countires would be next, bu you would have a fighting chance at least. Hopefully you live somewhere without a strong populist court system. China might work for you. Ni Hao ma!

Took the classes, but not the Bar. therefore IANAL.

* should point out the reverse is also true, those same Big Pockets get hammered with ludicrous lawsuits by the people. So it works both ways...

Around the Network

Sony should have that man killed. Make it look like an accident.

Two death threats in one post you could say this guy hit a nerve.

I am not sure what his legal position is but Apple do not seem able to silence him so I think it may not be as straightforward a prosecution case regardless of the country or judicial system employed.

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.
Gilgamesh said:

One quick little firmware update by Sony will destroy however many hours he put into hacking the PS3. If it's even true.

Indeed.

I'm not sure why people are saying that a firmware update will undo all the hacking. I'm under the impression that as soon as a system has been hacked once, it's relatively easy to get around the updates (i.e. it won't take another three years). Also (and I hope no-one was implying this), he isn't stupid enough to update his firmware in the middle of hacking. I bet his system's firmware hasn't been updated since he got it.

welshbloke said:
Two death threats in one post you could say this guy hit a nerve.

I am not sure what his legal position is but Apple do not seem able to silence him so I think it may not be as straightforward a prosecution case regardless of the country or judicial system employed.

Apple's situation was different, it was just allowing more people to get access to the phone and using it on other service providers. If anything more people bought the iPone because of this.

As for Sony this could cut deep into their pockets if people are able to pirate games since that is a major source of revenue for Sony. So any console they sold right now for pirating reasons would be sold at a complete loss with no possibilty of recouping it since they wont be buying software.