By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Geoff Keighley: Mass Effect 2 Will Come To PS3, EA Just Can’t Talk About It Yet

i dont think it will, ppl have to remember m$ wont allow it. they do have a major stake in the series. ea needs to get thier heads out of their a$$ and just give a permanent call on this game, cause i think their is a 0% chance of it happening.

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

Around the Network

Seems like a good game so I'll consider purchasing if it does but I wonder how the story would play out to someone who never played ME1. Would make sense to port both or none at all.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

iam sure EA will have some dev we never heard of make this game for the ps3

VITA 32 GIG CARD.250 GIG SLIM & 160 GIG PHAT PS3

That's not a secret that ME2 is coming to the PS3 its just a matter of the timing...Oh, believe when it does it will only be one disk...

http://www.vgchartz.com/sigs/output.php?userid=60726%5B/img%5D%5B/url%5D">

After today's news its been confirmed just don't have that release date yet

Around the Network
Darc Requiem said:
@Xoj

Oh if EA can make Mass Effect multiplatform they will. I don't think anyone is debating that.

Not at all.

andremop said:

I truly believe ME2 will be on Ps3

But, then again... since dragon age origins sold so much less on Ps3 (even though it's a superior version), maybe EA would just not risk with a port that would pretty much ruin their image on the xbox community.g

I was thinking about getting that game (Dragon Age) but maybe later in the year

slowmo said:

If its a timed exclusive I don't mind quite as much because it means that the original plaform gets a unhindered development and hence the game can be made with the ultimate vision in mind. 

The one thing nobody in here is mentioning is whether Mass Effect 2 could be made for the PS3 well enough to stand scrutiny compared to the 360 version.  The Unreal Engine it uses will surely heavily favour the 360.  My post is pure speculation but if they ported ME2 to PS3 and couldn't make it equivalent to the 360 version then would it sell, PS3 users made a big fuss about Bayonett being inferior when released, Bioshock too.  If it happened to ME2 then would it sell enough to justify them porting it, this is just one of the things that crosses their mind assuming they can get around any contractual issues. 

This isn't about the 360 being better hardware, it's just everything about this situation points to a game optimised for a architecture like the 360, a quick port to PS3 would run like crap and not sell.  Assuming they take time to rewrite and optimise everything for the PS3, it still not guaranteed they could achieve equivalent performance as the game will have been designed with the 360 strengths in mind that perhaps the PS3 will struggle with (like Bayonetta was).

This I think is what CGI refers to when he wants exclusives/console exclusives to stay that way.  A exclusive game can play to the strengths of the hardware its developed for, when you go mulitplatform then either sacrifices are made in the design phase, or in production.  Production sacrifices might be one version hobbled with a quick port, or both versions hobbled to keep them close.

Continually using the Bayonetta example is pretty bad considering that a completely different studio ported the game.....kinda like the Orange Box. Try letting....Gamecock port MGS4 to the 360

its only worth it if they release ME1 as well thats the bottom line

BMaker11 said:
slowmo said:

If its a timed exclusive I don't mind quite as much because it means that the original plaform gets a unhindered development and hence the game can be made with the ultimate vision in mind. 

The one thing nobody in here is mentioning is whether Mass Effect 2 could be made for the PS3 well enough to stand scrutiny compared to the 360 version.  The Unreal Engine it uses will surely heavily favour the 360.  My post is pure speculation but if they ported ME2 to PS3 and couldn't make it equivalent to the 360 version then would it sell, PS3 users made a big fuss about Bayonett being inferior when released, Bioshock too.  If it happened to ME2 then would it sell enough to justify them porting it, this is just one of the things that crosses their mind assuming they can get around any contractual issues. 

This isn't about the 360 being better hardware, it's just everything about this situation points to a game optimised for a architecture like the 360, a quick port to PS3 would run like crap and not sell.  Assuming they take time to rewrite and optimise everything for the PS3, it still not guaranteed they could achieve equivalent performance as the game will have been designed with the 360 strengths in mind that perhaps the PS3 will struggle with (like Bayonetta was).

This I think is what CGI refers to when he wants exclusives/console exclusives to stay that way.  A exclusive game can play to the strengths of the hardware its developed for, when you go mulitplatform then either sacrifices are made in the design phase, or in production.  Production sacrifices might be one version hobbled with a quick port, or both versions hobbled to keep them close.

Continually using the Bayonetta example is pretty bad considering that a completely different studio ported the game.....kinda like the Orange Box. Try letting....Gamecock port MGS4 to the 360

Ghostbusters ok instead then?  It's not important which game I use as an example, the fact is that both architectures have advantages over the other, thats the point not the games or developers really.  I don't constantly use Bayonetta by the way, in fact its the first time on here I think I've mentioned it so I assume you've read a lot of crap about it from other users.  In fairness I agree its a mute issue really that people should just forget about already, I only mentioned it as the most recent example of the issues in multiplatform development.  In the interests of balance the 360 port of FFXIII  suffers a little with the title being primarily developed with the PS3 in mind, sure its not a gulf but more could perhaps have been done on the game had it stayed PS3 exclusive (thats not to say it would, just it could).