By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will the PS3 overtake the 360 in 2011?

Will the PS3 overtake the 360 in 2011?

Hell Yeah!!! PS3 all the way. 328 56.85%

No Way!!! It will never happen. 97 16.81%

Maybe??? 152 26.34%

Total:577

We will see has this quarter closes and then when we move into another as to where we stand...

http://www.vgchartz.com/sigs/output.php?userid=60726%5B/img%5D%5B/url%5D">

Around the Network

I do't know...theres alot to factor in.

2010 line up of 360 games is impressive..Sadliy Sony just doesnt look as hot besides 2-3 titles..that may or may not come out*im looking at you GTforever*

Natal...theres no telling what it can/will do...theres a chance it could hit like the wii...but then again..so can sony's.

Price cuts...if acrade hits 149$ and elite hits 249$...idk..but many who have been holding off this gen or already wii owners have a good chance at getting on the hd360 boat.

I'd see sony hittin the market with a KO punch....if it out just about all ps2/1 titles upscalled on psn.

most likely end of 2011.

i think by the time its dec 2010 the gap will be 1 ml by the time its feb the ps3 will be in the lead if also got a strange felling about natel i have a felling it woun`t be as responsif as arc well it m$ last chance but come on gow 3 gt 5 ringin any bells there gonna be huge restance 3 and mabe uc3 will make it clear  edit my predidition has been chanched xbox 43.8 ps3 44.4

console sales predictions feb 2011

ps3 44.4 ml

wii 75.3

xbox 360 43.8

After reading Sony's expectation its seems it will roll into 2011 for sure...

Around the Network

Realistic scenario: the PS3 outsells the 360 by 1.5 million in Q4 2010 and Q4 2011, and does 40,000 more worldwide each week during the slow time of the year (did the math quick, hopefully I got it right).

Overall, I feel like too much has to go just right for this to happen though. I don't think the PS3 will catch up.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

The #2 spot is not a bad place to be after being in last place for so long...I doubt the #1 spot..Nintendo pretty much has that locked down....and with another price cut in the future..forget about it...

Munkeh111 said:
I think 2nd half of 2011 is quite likely, when GT 5 will most likely come out!

i loled

"Provided SONY maintains PS3's momentum then it should overtake 360 in 2011..."

yeah I agree with that. I am a lil disappointed IN MAG and Heavy Rain so far....Speaking in all honesty. I was going to get the console with income tax money but, im a skepticle. I think i will just hold back.

Hyruken said:
I wonder if those who voted yes still think the same?

We are now a month into the new year. After the back of some strong games for the PS3 (FFXIII) and a few months from the price cut new model etc the gap is 6m units and the weekly gap is around 40k.

Next week you would expect that gap to be smaller what with the sales Mass Effects supposedly did.

But let's keep the gap as it is right now i.e 40k a week.

At this rate it would be 160k a month. Meaning at that ratio the gap will decrease by 1.760M by the end of this year. Making it about 4.5m gap by the end of this year.
Then we take that ratio and put it into the following year means by the end of 2011 at its current sales ratio would see the 4.5m gap fall by another 1.9m units. Bringing the gaps new total to 2.6m units.

Now that is based on assumption that everything right now stays as it is.

That will obviously not be the case. I think you have to factor in that 2010 line-up is very much in 360's favour. GT5 if/when it comes is the last big game for Sony this year. You have big franchise games that have a licence to print money such as Halo. Add to that you got the new gimmick in Natal and a very obvious price cut coming leads me to believe that that 40k a week gap by the end of the year will turn into a gap once again in the 360's favour. That is my assumption.

So no it won't happen and will most likely not outsell the 360 before the next generation begins.

At it's current ratio of 40k a week it would take 38 months to draw level which is 3 and a half years.

You're not taking into account holiday sales. The gap will be much, much bigger during the holidays (most likely). That's not to say the PS3 will be in the lead in terms of weekly sales, but whoever is in the lead should expect the gap to grow accordingly during the holidays. You're also forgetting game launches. While the 360 might have a better line-up (in your opinion, discussed below in green), they do have considerably more sequels (Halo Reach being the biggest, by far), which aren't too likely to push that much hardware. The gap could shrink during the April-September season, but I would be extremely surprised if it was only 40k during late November and December.

That is purely your opinion. To be honest, I personally don't feel that either system has that strong a line-up this year. Neither of their line-ups really appeal to me. I think the major game that appeals to me is Gran Turismo 5. There will probably be games that are as yet unannounced that will interest me (Resistance 3 perhaps?), but as things stand there is no way you can definitively say that the "2010 line-up is very much in 360's favour." That is your opinion, not fact.

Just because they print money doesn't mean they push hardware. I doubt Halo Reach will push as much hardware (certainly not long-term, which is admittedly hard to put an exact figure on) as GT5.