By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS3 Has Been Hacked!

PS3 Has Been Hacked!

Good: At this point it wi... 53 30.64%

Bad: Software sales will go down 78 45.09%

I'm not sure 42 24.28%

Total:173

Is this just the hypervision thingy that stops linux from using the GPU? If so then that's cool, just for homebrew stuff would be cool... however I don't want the Ps3 to go the way of the psp hacks, though no doubt the online will be just as ban hammered as live so atlest no online/free updates for those people...

Around the Network

This is no fake, it's Geohot, probably the most famous active hacker in the world.

Anyway this is very good news for the PS3 owners, just look at what the Wii scene brought to the table: region-free/emulators/DVD playback/HDD support/backups/fan translations etc.

Bad news for Sony since their business model is based on software and not hardware.

Does this mean it will not be possible to apply to PS3 Slim?

It won't even affect the PS3
whos going to buy Blu ray disc and download GB of files on the PS3
No one ever going to download exclusive games either.
I doubt anyone would even dare to modify their console since it would cost them a lot of money

PSN: HienTran2691

XBL: IVietCong

Well, it was only a matter of time wasn't it? It's not as if PS3 is some supernatural divine supercomputer that would be impossible to hack. I bet we'll be seeing piracy on the console eventually. It's only natural these days, unfortunately. Anyone who thinks this will not be the case is just being ignorant, imo.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Around the Network

yes buring the games is not practical. sony did a smart move there. it forces peope to buy the games if they want to play.

look at the wii so much piracy. and 360 and the pc.

Cool.This might boost hardware.

Take my love, take my land..

@cheebee

We will see piracy definetly but to what extent ? It wont be as big as Wii or Xbox piracy. First because PS3 has a lot of FW updates which can close the securite hole. And this means that the hackers probably wont be able to use Online at all. I am sure he just breaked one FW maybe it wil require a FW downgrade and it will take some time to program tools so standard people can use it too. Maybe he solved it via hardware. But I think it was probably a SW solution.

Then there are no bluray burners out there or less bluray burners. And the games are huge that can take weeks to download maybe even months depending on how quick your connection is.

All this problems will shrink the number of people which pirate games. I think pirating will have a different quality again with the PS3 it will be like in the 32/128Bit area where the games where sold on disks for 10-15 Dollar via the internet because I dont think its practicable to download them buy Bluray disks and burner most people will take months to download 3 games with 100gb. So there will be a few people which make a buisness out of it.

It will definetly be a pain in the ass. But I think that the Linux PS3 community will benefit from it they will be able to use the GPU and use the full potential of the PS3 here so 3d games can be made I think WOW for Linux would easily work on the PS3.

Damn.. Geohot is really a smart kid.. and he is just in time if Apple reveales a tablet on 27 of january.. go hack that next! :)

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

A hacked PS3 ain't necessarily a bad thing. It might actually boost sales.

Things that need to die in 2016: Defeatist attitudes of Nintendo fans