By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS3 Has Been Hacked!

PS3 Has Been Hacked!

Good: At this point it wi... 53 30.64%

Bad: Software sales will go down 78 45.09%

I'm not sure 42 24.28%

Total:173

After 1 1/2 years of work, Geohot (the guy who hacked iphone) has apparently managed to find a way past PS3's security yesterday.
Obviously there is no practical application at this time, and Geohot says he won't reveal the exploit for now (to prevent Sony from making it harder to use it).

http://geohotps3.blogspot.com/2010/01/hello-hypervisor-im-geohot.html

So, what will this mean for PS3?

"Well certainly with the Xbox 360, we had some challenges at the launch. Once we identified that we took control of it. We wanted to do it right by our customers. Our customers are very important to us." -Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb (10/2013). Note: RRoD was fixed with the Jasper-revision 3 years after the launch of 360

"People don't pay attention to a lot of the details."-Yusuf Mehdi explaining why Xbone DRM scheme would succeed

"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it's called Xbox 360,”-Don Mattrick

"The region locking of the 3DS wasn't done for profits on games"-MDMAlliance

Around the Network

Oops, I posted this in the wrong place; could a mod please move this topic to the Sony section?

"Well certainly with the Xbox 360, we had some challenges at the launch. Once we identified that we took control of it. We wanted to do it right by our customers. Our customers are very important to us." -Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb (10/2013). Note: RRoD was fixed with the Jasper-revision 3 years after the launch of 360

"People don't pay attention to a lot of the details."-Yusuf Mehdi explaining why Xbone DRM scheme would succeed

"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it's called Xbox 360,”-Don Mattrick

close this topic please.

psfanboy said:
close this topic please.

Care to elaborate? The news is out there; the geni is out of the bottle.

How long for the next patch up?

Around the Network

How do we really know this is true?

NO vid, so I call bulls****. I don't think the PS3 will ever be hacked or if it is worth the trouble, it has been 3 years already and no one has have any luck. The PS3 have way too many protections and I'm pretty sure the PSN will detect a hack as soon as the system is connected to the net and block access to certain features that is only accessible once the PSN confirms the system is legit , so let it rest already.

why do people even bother hacking something? -_-

i hate hackers, almost as bad as piraters, well actually their the same thing...

End of 2010 Predictions (Original Prediction Made: Jan. 1, 2010---Revised April 1, 2010---Revised Again July 1, 2010---Revised Again on Nov. 1, 2010)

PS3: 46 MIL (April Revision: 44 MIL, July Revision 43 MIL, Nov. Revision 45MIL)

360: 44 MIL (April Revision: 46 MIL, July Revision: 48 MIL, Nov. Revision 49MIL)

WII: 82 MIL (Apr. Revision: 84 MIL, Jul. Revision: 82 MIL, Nov. Revision: 82MIL)

THE MUST BUY LIST of 2010: Gran Turismo 5

THE BOUGHT LIST of 2010: White Knight Chrnociles, Heavy Rain, Final Fantasy 13, God of War 3, Modnation Racers, Sports Champions

sony should let a hack through leave it for maybe 4-5 months sell 10 million extra consoles maybe not that many and then after the 5 months stop the hack easy business

i have a ps3 also an xbox360 and i dont play live on xbox but games i think are better than 360 and i hate the controller on the 360 its like holding a brick its that heavy with the batteries in...

p.s Heavy rain looks awesome

even if they hacked it, you'll be fucked up if you burned 25GB downloaded game in an expensive bluray disc using an expensive Bluray drive and it didn't work.