By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Natal lag issues will hurt game development

ghaleon1980 said:
So much PS3 fanboyism it's nauseating....hooray for vgchartz!

heh so im not the only one who thinks this way ;)

Around the Network

I seen Natal at CES2010 and there was very little lag, i mean in the Natal 3d debut you could tell there was lag but they fixed it.

nojustno said:
ghaleon1980 said:

The forums here used to contain great discussions and provided decent insight from the players perspective.  Lately, there has been so much trolling and overall negativity of anything not Sony related by some select users that have degraded these forums greatly.  This thread was created with the sole intent of downplaying a Microsoft product, in the Microsoft forums, by someone who doesn't even own a 360.  Why can't people just enjoy the systems they own? 

If you want to have an online pow-wow of how your system of choice is the "best" this generation, by all means do it in the appropriate forum.  Let the other system users have their place to discuss their favorite system as well.

OT

I think Natal can open up some exciting possibilities for games.  I think when used in combination with the 360 controller some amazing things can be done.  I keep picturing the scene in Minority Report were Tom Cruise is manipulating his computer with his hands.  Or throwing a greneade in a game by making the motion. 

Pipedream24 said:
nojustno said:
ghaleon1980 said:

The forums here used to contain great discussions and provided decent insight from the players perspective.  Lately, there has been so much trolling and overall negativity of anything not Sony related by some select users that have degraded these forums greatly.  This thread was created with the sole intent of downplaying a Microsoft product, in the Microsoft forums, by someone who doesn't even own a 360.  Why can't people just enjoy the systems they own? 

If you want to have an online pow-wow of how your system of choice is the "best" this generation, by all means do it in the appropriate forum.  Let the other system users have their place to discuss their favorite system as well.

OT

I think Natal can open up some exciting possibilities for games.  I think when used in combination with the 360 controller some amazing things can be done.  I keep picturing the scene in Minority Report were Tom Cruise is manipulating his computer with his hands.  Or throwing a greneade in a game by making the motion. 

well said man!

and who didnt know that? you guys (anyone outside of vg as well) act like this is new, news. people have been saying exactly what he said for months. you can see the lag issues in those natal commercials i even pointed some out here. like the Asian girl who swung her hand repeatedly and yet miss a slow moving target (i think it was mobile-less though). even in the jimmy fallen show you saw lag.

Around the Network
Pipedream24 said:
nojustno said:
ghaleon1980 said:

OT

I concur.

Wii FC: 6440 8298 7583 0720   XBOX GT: WICK1978               PSN: its_the_wick   3DS: 1676-3747-7846                                          Nintendo Network: its-the-wick

Systems I've owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, GBColor, N64, Gamecube, PS2, Xbox, GBAdvance, DSlite, PSP, Wii, Xbox360, PS3, 3DS, PSVita, PS4, 3DS XL, Wii U

The best quote I've seen this year:

Angelus said: I'm a moron

Its a pity that this threads like this are allowed as legit... Although the non-XBox 360 owner from the OP uses factual comments made by real people, none say that Natal will hurt game development. They just question where Natal is applicable and where it is not. Every input method has pros and cons.

I guess fear of Natal is a big influence on some non-XBox 360 owners. This thread is not about whether Natal will hurt gaming, it is about a non-XBox 360 owner trying to discredit Natal because they are jealous its not coming to the competitor's platform that they purchased.

I don't care, I'm still buying it. I will control my dashboard like Minority Report, play some awesome RTS on a console finally, maybe they'll update the Magic: The Gathering game to work with your own cards too, so many awesome applications if only it's done right! Oh and please port Myst to the Xbox 360 for Natal, that would be amazing!

I don't think it'll be as big an issue as some people make it out to be. Microsoft is banking a fair amount on Natal, and will want to be sure that it's done right. (Patching hardware is much harder than software.) They are working on the lag issue, as shown from the 2 different demos of it, in where the second one has considerably less lag. However, here's what people don't consider- if the lag time is known, it can be compensated for. If you know that Natal can handle only 30 FPS (though I suspect this is not yet in stone), then adjust your input response window back 0.015 seconds. (This time is for half a frame, to catch whether you either do it right at the capture, or right after.)

The thing that people seem to forget, is that everything has lag. The estimated lag on a wireless controller is about 6 ms, or 0.006 seconds. If, as I suspect, Natal comes back at 60 FPS support, this pushes the median delay time back to 0.0075, which, really, isn't that much worse than a standard controller. (The human eye can not perceive a 1.5 ms difference.)

In the end, I do think that both Natal and Sony's thing will see some Wii ports, Sony moreso due to the similarity of input. But the removal of the controller as a form of tethering I think will cause some different things to be made for Natal. Of course, we won't know any of this for certain until they release. Being honest, I'm intrigued by Natal. I'd like to see it do well. And I do think that the final product won't have severe lag problems.

-dunno001

-On a quest for the truly perfect game; I don't think it exists...

dunno001 don't confuse frames per second with lag. You can have 30 fps with 3 frames of lag or 60 fps with 6 frames of lag which works out to the same thing.

Reality has infinite frames per second (or at least a pretty big number depending on which theoretical physics you believe in), and things can still lag.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957