By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Natal lag issues will hurt game development

letsdance said:
JaggedSac said:

Well, Kodu stated in an interview they are going to be reducing the input lag before release the product.  The important thing to glean from this is that it will not get worse.  The input lag will only get better than what is in that video.  Their neural network and firmware will be improved.  The accuracy will be the same as the CMOS sensor is the same.  The only question is how close was that camera.

That was before this though.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/microsoft-drops-internal-natal-chip_1

I dont know how much of an effect it will have on it but I know people were talking up the chip in NATAL as a reason why the ps eye will never be as accurate ("the input is already processed by the time it gets to the console" or something along those lines)

That will only affect games that are developed for Natal, ie AI, physics, etc.  It will not affect accuracy in any capacity and the input lag will most likely be improved since the 360 CPU is more powerful than a stand alone chip in Natal would be.

The reason the chip was good was because developers could develop games as though Natal was just another controller.  They would not have to worry about it eating up resources.  Now they do.

Having the software on the 360 can be a good thing.  Specific games can have their own specific Natal software set that developers develop.  It is a much more open platform now.

Around the Network
Pipedream24 said:
nojustno said:
ghaleon1980 said:
So much PS3 fanboyism it's nauseating....hooray for vgchartz!

heh so im not the only one who thinks this way ;)

The forums here used to contain great discussions and provided decent insight from the players perspective.  Lately, there has been so much trolling and overall negativity of anything not Sony related by some select users that have degraded these forums greatly.  This thread was created with the sole intent of downplaying a Microsoft product, in the Microsoft forums, by someone who doesn't even own a 360.  Why can't people just enjoy the systems they own? 

If you want to have an online pow-wow of how your system of choice is the "best" this generation, by all means do it in the appropriate forum.  Let the other system users have their place to discuss their favorite system as well.

OT

I think Natal can open up some exciting possibilities for games.  I think when used in combination with the 360 controller some amazing things can be done.  I keep picturing the scene in Minority Report were Tom Cruise is manipulating his computer with his hands.  Or throwing a greneade in a game by making the motion. 

I'd like to know what dream you had, because I have been on this forum since it was established, and it has never been neutral.

Wii fans, 360 fans, PS3 fans, all troll here, just because you don't like it when someone says something that isn't positive towards your system of choice, does not mean everyone is ps3 biased now. The same can be said about everyonel on this site.

mM

Such hate for Natal, they will fix it.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

leo-j said:
Pipedream24 said:
nojustno said:
ghaleon1980 said:

The forums here used to contain great discussions and provided decent insight from the players perspective.  Lately, there has been so much trolling and overall negativity of anything not Sony related by some select users that have degraded these forums greatly.  This thread was created with the sole intent of downplaying a Microsoft product, in the Microsoft forums, by someone who doesn't even own a 360.  Why can't people just enjoy the systems they own? 

If you want to have an online pow-wow of how your system of choice is the "best" this generation, by all means do it in the appropriate forum.  Let the other system users have their place to discuss their favorite system as well.

OT

I think Natal can open up some exciting possibilities for games.  I think when used in combination with the 360 controller some amazing things can be done.  I keep picturing the scene in Minority Report were Tom Cruise is manipulating his computer with his hands.  Or throwing a greneade in a game by making the motion. 

I'd like to know what dream you had, because I have been on this forum since it was established, and it has never been neutral.

Wii fans, 360 fans, PS3 fans, all troll here, just because you don't like it when someone says something that isn't positive towards your system of choice, does not mean everyone is ps3 biased now. The same can be said about everyonel on this site.

I by no means expect everyone to be neutral.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion.  Opinion's backed with evidence is what makes discussions on these forums enjoyable.  But when people who favor the PS3 (Solid and yourself make no qualms about your devotion to the PS3, which is fine) take an article that could be used as a positive for "Arc" in the PS3 forums and turn into a negative in the 360 forums instead, the intent is pretty clear. 

Pipedream24 said:
leo-j said:
Pipedream24 said:
nojustno said:
ghaleon1980 said:

OT

I by no means expect everyone to be neutral.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion.  Opinion's backed with evidence is what makes discussions on these forums enjoyable.  But when people who favor the PS3 (Solid and yourself make no qualms about your devotion to the PS3, which is fine) take an article that could be used as a positive for "Arc" in the PS3 forums and turn into a negative in the 360 forums instead, the intent is pretty clear. 

and yet... when the  tables are turned you dont see sony fans whining about it... weird....

Around the Network

Because it doesn't happen nearly as much on N4G 2.0 and besides Sony fan do complain. Remember when all the stories about how in debt Sony were came out? All websites had been paid of by MS apparently.

JaggedSac said:
Kodu said they will have the input lag down to around 100ms. This is comparable to many games that use controllers.

Exactly. Its even less than some of the most popular shooter games on either console (Killzone 2, Halo 3 have like 133ms lag)

JaggedSac said:
Kodu said they will have the input lag down to around 100ms. This is comparable to many games that use controllers.

Actually if true, that would be better than most games which use controllers.

Do you know what its like to live on the far side of Uranus?

Yep. If true.

As an Xbox fan, it pains me to think that Natal is going to fail hard, lag or no lag.
The way it is right now, the thing makes every game genre, inclunding simple games, unplayable and a mess.

I hope they release a controller for it, because controller-free gaming is not going to work at all, imho.