By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Do *YOU think Link NEEDS a voice in the next ZELDA???

Do *YOU think Link NEEDS a voice in the next ZELDA???

NO, I prefer Link stay a silent hero 129 76.33%

YES, I'd prefer if Link had a voice 40 23.67%

Total:169

I've wanted Link to have a voice since the Nintendo 64...

Odd. Future. Wolf. Gang. Kill. Em. All. OFWGKTA Don't give a fuck!

Fuck Steve Harvey. FREE EARL!

Final Fantasy Versus XIII will be the GREATEST game EVER made!!!

I'd take a bullet for Square-Enix! 

Around the Network
KylieDog said:
Khuutra said:
KylieDog said:
If he doesn't want to be called outdated, yes.

Speaking vs. non-speaking isn't really something that has to do with whether or not one of those is outmoded, or even older than the other

In this day unless you're playing a character you created it is well past the point that they should be speaking.  If some people don't want that they should include an option to silence voices, many game already do.  Simply not including them at allt hough, out of date.

I mean make him speak gibberish for all I care, but  I think in the type of game he is at, he should be able to express more than just stupid noises and have more than weird reaction shots that dont express shit.

But since this seems to be a polarizing subject they should provide the option to have it activated or not in their freaking huge tutorial that never seems to end.

Don't change what isn't broken.

That is my standing on this.

I would really prefer it if he would stay silent. I just like it more that way.

KylieDog said:
Khuutra said:
KylieDog said:
If he doesn't want to be called outdated, yes.

Speaking vs. non-speaking isn't really something that has to do with whether or not one of those is outmoded, or even older than the other

In this day unless you're playing a character you created it is well past the point that they should be speaking.  If some people don't want that they should include an option to silence voices, many game already do.  Simply not including them at allt hough, out of date.

i kind of agree with you to a point... I would like voice acting in Zelda (all but Link), but not all games need voice acting and not having it in every game does not make them outdated

if your just talking about zelda, then yes, people would start calling it outdated, but it would still be a fantastic game and wouldn't matter much. just like no online play and no level creation tools don't matter to me in NSMBWii :)

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:

You think thats not broken, I mean what does being a stupid mute (like Link) adds to 3D Zeldas, Honest question. I dont see nothing good coming from it. Because lets say that Link is mute for all intends and purposes, do you see him correctly representing a Mute character? Does it adds to the atmosphere of the game? Does make it more inmersive?

My answer to those questions is no it doesnt and should be corrected along with all the other shit thats wrong with Zelda nowadays like:

OUTMODED FLUTE/HOWL/OCARINA shitty gameplay mechanic thats a thousand years old and is an endless rip-off of the older games.

EXTREMELY LONG TUTORIAL, it seems that you never end the freaking tutorial.

_honeybadger_ said:
Carl2291 said:

You think thats not broken, I mean what does being a stupid mute (like Link) adds to 3D Zeldas, Honest question. I dont see nothing good coming from it. Because lets say that Link is mute for all intends and purposes, do you see him correctly representing a Mute character? Does it adds to the atmosphere of the game? Does make it more inmersive?

My answer to those questions is no it doesnt and should be corrected along with all the other shit thats wrong with Zelda nowadays like:

OUTMODED FLUTE/HOWL/OCARINA shitty gameplay mechanic thats a thousand years old and is an endless rip-off of the older games.

EXTREMELY LONG TUTORIAL, it seems that you never end the freaking tutorial.

The complaining about Zelda topic is somewhere else

This is more about voice acting for Link specifically

And yes, Link not having a voice does add something to the game. Your inability to see that doesn't take away from it

if they add a voice i want a serious badass voice actor... not an actor thats not serious for his roll

The complaining about Zelda topic is somewhere else

This is more about voice acting for Link specifically

And yes, Link not having a voice does add something to the game. Your inability to see that doesn't take away from it

Omg Zelda games are perfect and nothing is wrong with them. (sarcasm off)

The reason why I put these complains in that post is to destroy the illusion/delusion that Zelda games are perfect, Heck in regards to the gameplay they are worst than the gameboy zelda games. Thats unacceptable considering that when you have a game on a more capable hardware you should be able to do more for the game than just Motion Control.

And saying:

And yes, Link not having a voice does add something to the game. Your inability to see that doesn't take away from it.

Doesnt mean anything unless you are able to express what it does for the game having a stupid looking character, really do tell because thats something I would like to know.

Really I want to know what you see, as you already know what I SEE.

_honeybadger_ said:
Omg Zelda games are perfect and nothing is wrong with them. (sarcasm off)
I implied nothing of the kind, nor do I need to. Of course, that doesn't mean that I agree with the implication of your sarcasm here (that being that the Zelda series is in desperate need of "fixing"); that is also pretty far off from the truth.
The reason why I put these complains in that post is to destroy the illusion/delusion that Zelda games are perfect,
Not prevalent in this topic, not relevant to this topic. Nobody here is operating off of the assumption that Zelda games are perfect. Some say that Link doesn't need to talk, and that the dynamic is not broken. There is a big, enormous difference between these two ideas.
Heck in regards to the gameplay they are worst than the gameboy zelda games.
Again, your opinion on the state of Zelda games outside of the fact of Link talking vs. not has absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand.
Thats unacceptable considering that when you have a game on a more capable hardware you should be able to do more for the game than just Motion Control.
This is an even weirder statement, because it seems to imply that there is an absolute metric of quality to which you are referring, which there isn't.
Doesnt mean anything unless you are able to express what it does for the game having a stupid looking character, really do tell because thats something I would like to know.
Simple: Link's character is built around the idea that he doesn't talk, and his personality is (traditionally) a personality of absence rather than one of projection: that is to say, his personality, like classic silent protagonists, was (originally) built up by a mixture of the expectations of the player and the reactions of other characters to him. Keeping away from establishing his personality in this way is actually something Nintendo has striven for, goign out of their way in several games so that characters - in many situations - are responding to Link as an engine of actions, not as a personality. Now, that's not been true for a few games since Wind Waker (and, arguably, Ocarina of Time) in that much of his personality is now established through his expressions.

Why are his expressions worth anything?

Well, for the first part, they harken back to a character-establishing mode which is unique to visual media and which hasn't be prevalent since the silent film era, so it's interesting from an artistic perspective for several reasons

For the second part, it stands apart from other character-defining modes while not sacrificing any particular amount of personality

The third part is that it's often very entertaining: Twilight Princess Link is very expressive, and the Wind Waker style Link is often hilarious.

So there you go