By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - All-Time Worldwide Box office

It's a shame that simply because it is in 3D, and the dark knight wasn't (or Return of the king), Avatar will gross more money.

Bet with Dr.A.Peter.Nintendo that Super Mario Galaxy 2 won't sell 15 million copies up to six months after it's release, the winner will get Avatar control for a week and signature control for a month.

Around the Network
RageBot said:
It's a shame that simply because it is in 3D, and the dark knight wasn't (or Return of the king), Avatar will gross more money.

Ummm no. Avatar will destroy TDK's gross when all is done, by more than the difference in ticket prices caused by 3D. http://www.mcnblogs.com/thehotblog/archives/2010/01/how_the_avatar.html At this point 700 million domestic looks likely. Besides the fact, if people are willing to pay more to see AV in 3D, more power to them, you cant really knock Av for that.

And for all those bringing up inflation, sure. But by that same token, politically correct films like TDK pale historically too. But somehow noboy kept bringing up inflation to knock down TDK's numbers.

Why is this posted on this site? What is the relation with video games? Will Avatar push 3DTVs fast forward to our homes? So this means Sony is doing the right thing when they say PS3 is going 3D this year?

I projected 2.1 billion for Avatar about a month ago. Good to see its still heading towards it.

And this belongs in OT.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Always makes me smile to see how well The Dark Knight did, and of course there's Avatar tearing up the charts. Well done indeed.

Man, there's so many Harry Potter films in the 900 bracket. You're almost there Harry!

And yes... what is this doing in the Gaming section of the forums?

Around the Network
Seece said:
Yes yes, we know why you've posted this, because AVATAR is going to take the top spot.

Despite probably only selling 1/6 of the amount of tickets Titanic did.

And Titanic didn't sell nearly as many tickets as Gone With The Wind or Star Wars.

Javaupdate said:
RageBot said:

Ummm no. Avatar will destroy TDK's gross when all is done, by more than the difference in ticket prices caused by 3D. http://www.mcnblogs.com/thehotblog/archives/2010/01/how_the_avatar.html At this point 700 million domestic looks likely. Besides the fact, if people are willing to pay more to see AV in 3D, more power to them, you cant really knock Av for that.

And for all those bringing up inflation, sure. But by that same token, politically correct films like TDK pale historically too. But somehow noboy kept bringing up inflation to knock down TDK's numbers.

What about the sales of pepole who usually download movies, but know that the only way to truly enjoy the movie is by seeing it in 3D, in the cinema?

Bet with Dr.A.Peter.Nintendo that Super Mario Galaxy 2 won't sell 15 million copies up to six months after it's release, the winner will get Avatar control for a week and signature control for a month.

RageBot said:
Javaupdate said:
RageBot said:

What about the sales of pepole who usually download movies, but know that the only way to truly enjoy the movie is by seeing it in 3D, in the cinema?

So we shouldn't count them either?

Talk about desperosity. Avatar will gross more whether or not you count higher ticket prices, 3D viewers, soccer moms, etc....

jaddow said:

I see you sister.

It was probably my favorite movie last year along with Inglourious Basterds. Loved 'em both and I was happy to see both of them do well (Tarantino's most successful film yet!).