By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - (Fail) No Wii For The Kids: Hidden Costs Compel Console Return

Javaupdate said:

This is actually a very good column. I bought the Wii for Christmas and extra costs add up incredibly fast. Mainly because it's a party conssole and you need, really you need up to 4 extra controllers. Now of course each extra controller happens to come in two pieces and cost $60. Then you need an extra game. And I didn't even have to worry about batteries.

Lets say you just buy the Wii, one extra controller, and one extra game, it's already $310, and you probably want more controllers and batteries.

If you're buying a PS3 or 360 OTOH, you can probably get by with one controller, maybe pick up a  second tops later, 3rd or 4th out of the question.

I guess the unique thing to Wii is that you need so many controllers. And that being a "party" console you feel like you need more games with the system too, if that makes any sense.

You can't assume you need 4 controllers for the Wii and then compare it to someone not wanting 4 controllers on another console.  That's called unfairly skewing the facts to prove your point and it's a pretty worthless comparison.

If you have a family that needs four controllers for whatever reason, they're still going to need four if they buy a 360.  The only thing that changes is their selection of games, but then that would be the families fault for not buying the correct console for that family.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that consoles are more expensive than the sticker price for 99% of people, I just think this guy is a moron for not doing research before he buys and then being surprised when he found out he would have to spend more.

Around the Network

All I'm sayin' is, must have been some damn disappointed kids. Having your Christmas present returned??

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

People are really exaggerating on the hidden costs. Yes, there are games that require extra, but the same can be said about the PS2. I paid like $80 for GH2 when it released, which only came with a wired guitar. The PS2 also didn't come with its own memory card, and required a multitap for anything more than 2 player games. It didn't come with a game, either - the Wii comes with Wii Sports packed in. Then there's internet access... really, the PS2 is a poor comparison.

New Super Mario Bros Wii, Mario Kart Wii, Wii Sports, Mario Party 8, and Wii Play, only require the Wii remote. None of the top selling multiplayer games require nunchucks, even Smash Bros and Mario & Sonic. So, getting 3 extra Wiimotes is actually cheaper than 3 extra PS3/360 controllers, MRSP at least. People claiming they're forced to buy 3 nunchucks are being misleading - what games are they playing that require this, exactly?

The only real "hidden costs" are the batteries. It cost me under $30 for enough batteries to supply 4 controllers. Annoying, maybe, but I prefer it to the PS3 controller which requires you to connect the thing to the PS3 for a recharge. It isn't uncommon being forced to sit in front of the TV and play wired when enough people in the house actively use the PS3. (I try to avoid this by having my laptop nearby, though it's still a pain)

Where are rechargeable batteries THAT expensive?

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Don't forget, HD consoles don't even come with HD cables or other accessories.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

What the hell did this guy expect when he bought his console?

I'm guessing he won't be buying a 360 anytime soon then.. I spent way to much on that console... Monthly online fees, Wifi adapter, $50 extra controller, rechargeable battery.

hoffness said:
This reminds me of when I worked in the electronics dept. at Wal-Mart. An old guy called in one day and said he wanted to return his broken printer. He said the error message on the screen said "out of ink". He wouldn't believe me that you have to actually buy more ink for printers. I tried an analogy to buying gas for a car, but to no avail. I think he ended up calling HP to complain that their printers run out of ink.

LOL...  I laughed a bit when I read this...  My thought was: "Why didn't you use the pen analogy, eveyone knows pens use ink and they always run out".

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

Killergran said:
Reading the actual thing, it's not even close to being as bad as Kotaku makes it seem. I found myself enjoying the article reading it in its enitirety.

I thought it was terribly boring, why would I care that some columnist returned his gaming system because it was too expensive and he lets his kids play computer games for 30 minutes a week.

Good for him, I do stupid and boring stuff all the time, good thing I don't get paid to tell the world about it.

Wow, I can get Energizer rechargeable batteries with the charger for like $20 USD and I'm on a fugging third world country.

c0rd said:

People are really exaggerating on the hidden costs. Yes, there are games that require extra, but the same can be said about the PS2. I paid like $80 for GH2 when it released, which only came with a wired guitar. The PS2 also didn't come with its own memory card, and required a multitap for anything more than 2 player games. It didn't come with a game, either - the Wii comes with Wii Sports packed in. Then there's internet access... really, the PS2 is a poor comparison.

New Super Mario Bros Wii, Mario Kart Wii, Wii Sports, Mario Party 8, and Wii Play, only require the Wii remote. None of the top selling multiplayer games require nunchucks, even Smash Bros and Mario & Sonic. So, getting 3 extra Wiimotes is actually cheaper than 3 extra PS3/360 controllers, MRSP at least. People claiming they're forced to buy 3 nunchucks are being misleading - what games are they playing that require this, exactly?

The only real "hidden costs" are the batteries. It cost me under $30 for enough batteries to supply 4 controllers. Annoying, maybe, but I prefer it to the PS3 controller which requires you to connect the thing to the PS3 for a recharge. It isn't uncommon being forced to sit in front of the TV and play wired when enough people in the house actively use the PS3. (I try to avoid this by having my laptop nearby, though it's still a pain)

Yes but now it is $99 with a guitar, PLUS it needs batteries!!!

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!