By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii passes 360 in LTD total software sales

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/26856/Analysis_Wii_Overtakes_Xbox_360_LTD_Software_Sales.php

From Gamasutra's analysis of total software sales in the last months of 2009, they were able to derive, tentatively, that the Wii's total software sales, from launch, have finally surpassed the 360's, negating the last advantage of the 1-year lead time that the 360 had over its competitors.

I figured it was inevitable, but its still a nice milestone.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

cool..cool, but 99% of wii games are still garbage. Enjoy your victory!!!

Not a 360 fanboy, just a PS3 fanboy hater that likes putting them in their place ^.^

I believe that this article is just for American software sales, seeing as the analyst uses NPD numbers (but with Wii's hold on Others and Japan, I'm assuming that Nintendo already has sold more software WW).

Still, this is fantastic news for the console. Glad to see people buying and enjoying the games!

Any idea how much of those sales are NOT from Nintendo?

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

owner of : atari 2600, commodore 64, NES,gameboy,atari lynx, genesis, saturn,neogeo,DC,PS2,GC,X360, Wii

5 THINGS I'd like to see before i knock out:

a. a AAA 3D sonic title

b. a nintendo developed game that has a "M rating"

c. redesgined PS controller

d. SEGA back in the console business

e. M$ out of the OS business

shinyuhadouken said:

See, THIS is a major reason I left the gamepro forums for this site. At GP, not only were these ignorant trolls not banned, they were everywhere!

Anyway, so much for the myth that Wii owners don't buy software.

Around the Network
shinyuhadouken said:

Umm..If Wii has 1000 games (not sure how many there is) then there would be 10 good games..I would almost agree with that...Well not that I have played those 1000 games..

Well according to metacritic Wii has 565 games..

Of course I would never say such a thing.

You are funny guy.

On topic:I thought it had already gone long ago..Mainly because of bundled games and Japan.

Take my love, take my land..

shinyuhadouken said:

Enjoy your ban :)

Simulacrum said:
shinyuhadouken said:

Umm..If Wii has 1000 games (not sure how many there is) then there would be 10 good games..I would almost agree with that...Well not that I have played those 1000 games..

Well according to metacritic Wii has 565 games..

Of course I would never say such a thing.

You are funny guy.

On topic:I thought it had already gone long ago..Mainly because of bundled games and Japan.

NPD counts neither.

Just so everybody is clear, this doesn't include Wii Sports, or any sales outside the US of A.

@ arsenicazure

Good question. We won't know for sure unless Nintendo puts out another release on 3rd party sales, but I'm going to see if Nintendo's financials have enough information to make an estimate.

Edit: And the answer is... unknown. Nintendo's financials don't distinguish between first and third party units shipped. We'll just have to hope for a new press release from either Nintendo or NPD.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

well, 360 games weren't bundled with almost every console, controller and accessory. im not trying to bash wii's success in software sales but this was pretty much expected

Huh?

According to VG Chartz the Wii passed the X360 in total software sales in April of 2008

Did I read that wrong?