By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Ubisoft pullin a Extraction with Red Steel 2?

routsounmanman said:
Who cares; it's their loss. We still get to get the game.

This.     Besides, I have little faith this will be much more than a gloried version of the sword fighting in WSR.   Looks like fun for about 10 minutes, but unlike WSR it will just keep on going long after that with little else to offer.   I hope I'm wrong but so far I haven't seen anything to make me think so.

Around the Network
jammy2211 said:
NJ5 said:
I'm still amazed at the amount of publishers who made strategic decisions based on the sales of niche games like Madworld...

It's probably more based on the lack of pre-orders, retailer interest or positive statistical feedback from their titles...

If the press coverage for the past year on their game, taking it to shows, press previews etc doesn't move pre-orders and create interest in-line with other games, then chances are it's not worth sinking millions of dollars into a marketing campaign.

Wii owners usually don't preorder too much.Besides, didn't the game just get a solid release date this past week? After the delay, people may have put their anticipation of it on hold. Plus, there is tons of Q1 2010 competition. Ubisoft isn't really known to be a trustworthy party anyways, so brand may come into the equation. Plus, after the last critically panned Red Steel, gamers may hold out until more info is released.

In terms of what marketing may do, lets look at Tatsunoku vs Capcom. This week it had 31k NA preorders, and commercials started airing last night. It will not account for EVERY game that gets advertised, but lets see how the preorders rise next week, and the first week sales. Without ads, it should've managed 48k. Let's see what happens.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

NJ5 said:
It doesn't matter anymore. It's not like 3rd parties will base any important decisions on the sales of this game. Even if they did, that would only affect the games coming out in a year and a half or longer...

Yeah, but dont you wish that a single game could shut up all the whining publishers?

Like "Yeah, Red Steel 2 is a great game, 3rd party, made for Motion Plus only, and because it had a little marketing push it sold more than 250k on first month alone. Now what were we talking about, Sega and Capcom?"

maykissthebride said:
NJ5 said:
It doesn't matter anymore. It's not like 3rd parties will base any important decisions on the sales of this game. Even if they did, that would only affect the games coming out in a year and a half or longer...

Yeah, but dont you wish that a single game could shut up all the whining publishers?

Like "Yeah, Red Steel 2 is a great game, 3rd party, made for Motion Plus only, and because it had a little marketing push it sold more than 250k on first month alone. Now what were we talking about, Sega and Capcom?"

One of the problems is that first week sales are usually what gets talked about. See for example Madworld, which had already been declared a flop way before it reached its current level (400k).

So if Red Steel 2 sells like 200k-300k in the first month (around 100k first week), that will probably still result in doom and gloom for the Wii.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

jlauro said:

Extraction had tons of ads on the internet. Not sure what you are talking about?  Is there seriously anyone who didn't know about it?

That may be true. But where were they? (what sites?)

Wii users are generally not going to be reading every game site to see what is out there (those on VGChartz excepted).  

Instead, they should be targeting places where Wii owners might be reading -- like Nintendo Power (which had no ads).

And that really is the difference -- advertise in the right places (a la Just Dance which used viral videos on the Internet rather than gaming sites) and you can sell.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Around the Network
NJ5 said:
maykissthebride said:
NJ5 said:

One of the problems is that first week sales are usually what gets talked about. See for example Madworld, which had already been declared a flop way before it reached its current level (400k).

So if Red Steel 2 sells like 200k-300k in the first month (around 100k first week), that will probably still result in doom and gloom for the Wii.

Yeah, i know, numbers were exemples only. But just imagine this selling WELL months 1 - 3.

That would prove that publishers are lying when they say 3rd party cant sell on wii, and that we were rigth all along: all it takes is to make a good game and advertise it like a real product.

maykissthebride said:
NJ5 said:
maykissthebride said:
NJ5 said:

Yeah, i know, numbers were exemples only. But just imagine this selling WELL months 1 - 3.

That would prove that publishers are lying when they say 3rd party cant sell on wii, and that we were rigth all along: all it takes is to make a good game and advertise it like a real product.

With some luck it could still happen. As long as the game is well reviewed, and given that people already know the Red Steel name (hopefully they don't think of it badly due to the first game).

Let's wait and see. I'm not holding my breath.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

the game isn't going to sale. ubisoft knows this. there are to many negatives about the game.

1. its cel shaded

2. no offline multiplayer. the wii is about playing games with friends in family offline

3. the first one sucked. a lot of people are not going to buy red steel 2 based off the 1st
4. it know a fantasy fps. the 1st had a OK story but 2 has a niche feeling to it
5. most likely no TV advertisements
6. its been to long since the 1st. nov 06 launch title and now its 2010. any brand recognition is out the window.
7. red steel2 is nothing like red steel 1. if you actually like red steel 1 then red steel 2 for most people will be disappointing because you wanted a game like red steel 1. the two games are completely different in every way. previews say rs2 is more first person action than fps

8. i almost forgot, it dosen't have online multiplayer either.

9. the game will cost 50-60dollars for a 5 to 6 hour game with no replay value

there are probably more faults, but it is sad that red steel 1 was the 1st or 2nd wii 3rd party game to sale 1 million units and the 2nd one won't reach half. i know i won't be buying this. no offline multiplayer, cel shaded fps, and weird story just put me off. i will rent it but i will never buy a wii fps without offline multiplayer since i can probably beat the game in 6rs

jt1 said:

3. the first one sucked. a lot of people are not going to buy red steel 2 based off the 1st

7. red steel2 is nothing like red steel 1. if you actually like red steel 1 then red steel 2 for most people will be disappointing because you wanted a game like red steel 1

So if it looks like Red Steel 1 its gonna bomb. And if dosent then its gonna bomb.

Logic: its not for everybody

well good as i don't think i am going to buy it anyway :P unless it is really good that is...

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(