By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Ubisoft pullin a Extraction with Red Steel 2?

jlauro said:

Extraction had tons of ads on the internet. Not sure what you are talking about?  Is there seriously anyone who didn't know about it?

Ads on the internet, yes. Commercials on TV, no. EA came out and said they wouldn't actively advertise Dead Space Extraction because they saw that commercials didn't help with Madworld.

Around the Network

I'm still amazed at the amount of publishers who made strategic decisions based on the sales of niche games like Madworld...

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Im with NJ5. The spirit can only be crushed so much before nothing matters anymore.

The Wii generation was wasted on marketing bullshit and pig headed developers.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

I think now that they are at the debugging stage they can't get over some problems and they don't feel like bothering with that.

They're rushing the final stage of the development and sending this game to die at retail.
I feel like I wanna bet that this game will score 7 or lower, and I am a Wii owner, this is not trolling. I just don't trust Ubisoft anymore.

NJ5 said:
I'm still amazed at the amount of publishers who made strategic decisions based on the sales of niche games like Madworld...

It's probably more based on the lack of pre-orders, retailer interest or positive statistical feedback from their titles...

If the press coverage for the past year on their game, taking it to shows, press previews etc doesn't move pre-orders and create interest in-line with other games, then chances are it's not worth sinking millions of dollars into a marketing campaign.

Around the Network
jammy2211 said:
NJ5 said:

It's probably more based on the lack of pre-orders, retailer interest or positive statistical feedback from their titles...

If the press coverage for the past year on their game, taking it to shows, press previews etc doesn't move pre-orders and create interest in-line with other games, then chances are it's not worth sinking millions of dollars into a marketing campaign.

Well if you look at Bayonettas opening you can see why small japanese titles, in general, have trouble getting interest, irrelevent of marketing.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

jammy2211 said:
NJ5 said:

My comment was more directed at what Inigo13 said, I should have specified (but you could be right in this case).

I mean, we've heard a few comments from publishers about Madworld and Dead Space Extraction, and how those two games supposedly indicate Wii gamers don't buy core games (even though Madworld sold more than Clover's previous PS2 game, and other core games have sold much better).

Regardless, publishers have to be crazy if they think people will pre-order their Wii stuff. If their efforts were more consistent in quality, maybe they would. As it stands, no one knows if the next Wii late port will be decent or gimped, so pre-ordering is like playing the lottery.

Well its pretty clear that Ubisoft is bleeding money from all sides. I give them 2 years before they're bought out. They made some bad moves (Imagine series, anyone?)

The Carnival of Shadows - Folk Punk from Asbury Park, New Jersey

http://www.thecarnivalofshadows.com 

Raze said:
Well its pretty clear that Ubisoft is bleeding money from all sides. I give them 2 years before they're bought out. They made some bad moves (Imagine series, anyone?)

Actually Ubisoft is one of the few publishers which haven't been posting losses. I don't know about the latest quarter though, I don't think they've posted full results yet.

But you could be right, since they did warn that their revenue would be 180 million € lower than expected (17%) in the ongoing fiscal year:

http://www.euroinvestor.co.uk/news/story.aspx?id=10828545

edit - oh wait, they actually state they're expecting a loss!

jlauro said:

Extraction had tons of ads on the internet. Not sure what you are talking about?  Is there seriously anyone who didn't know about it?

Tons of adds that no one saw.

Lol! Ultimate marketing fail!!!