By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Half Life 2: Does it deserve it

Yea it's unfair but so is the damn world Starcraft and Final Fantasy VI are much better games but they are not even in the list damn you reviews. Mocking on my beloved Starcraft and FFVI.

Think twice before helping a friend in need.

Around the Network
naznatips said:
Wow I can't believe the Half-Life 2 hate. I guess some people can only play run-in-gun shooters. omgwtfbbq I'm starting to doubt you ever played Half-Life 2. There was NEVER a group of badguys on a wooden ledge hanging over a cliff. Ever. I don't know what game you played, but the game I played had lots of creative puzzles and traps that could only be solved through ingenuity. Rarely was a puzzle repeated, although I admit by Episode 2's conclusion most of them had been used more than once.

Half-Life 2 isn't just great for it's graphics or physics, it's great for its design. It has creative level design and artwork. It's environments were diverse. Ranging from futuristic spires, to early 20th century villages filled with traps and puzzles, and even to sunny beaches. All of them were unique, and the level design was never repetitive. The plot was great, especially for a video game, and was very well paced, and it was absolutely a blast to play. Especially with the gravity gun.

well, I played a game where I was Gordon Freeman and I got a gravity gun. And spent hours riding around on a damn hoverboat. And I very much doubt I'm thinking of a different game because I distincly remember running that damn hoverboat into a rickety wooden leg causing a whole bunch of generic bad guys to fall off the side of a cliff. Perhaps you need to have another playthrough? (I certainly am not going to do it again).

Look, I can understand some people liking the game, but I really don't get how it can possibly compare with the original in terms of story, depth, ground-breaking design and just plain fun. Not to mention that every HL2 mod worth a damn was originally on Half-Life. I'm not saying I like run-and-gun shooters, I just didn't like HL2.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

cAPSLOCK said:

The thing that's always set Half Life apart was in how the story was told, pacing, and overall design philosophy. If you sit down and listen to developer commentary you'll see just how intricately crafted and thought out Half Life 2 was. As far as FPS go it's really hard to fault the game in any of those categories.

You have to remember that before Half Life FPS were essentially enemy conveyor belts where you just unloaded all your weapons constantly.

The answer to HL's success is much, much deeper than graphics and physics. Those 2 things are nothing more than a vehicle for a game, and Valve understands this probably more than any other developer in gaming.

The other thing besides previously mentioned (or just obvious at this point) things was the insane amount of modding done for it. The engine is a heavily modified Q1 engine, and id has always been about letting people fiddle with their stuff. Team Fortress Classic, They Hunger, Day of Defeat, Counter Strike, Riccochet, these and many many many more were mods from Half Life and contributed quite a bit to the game's success long after release.

As far as HL2's success, it came with CS:Source :P Honestly, though, generally speaking it followed Half Life's original design and pacing philosophy. It's not a beer and pizza FPS like Serious Sam or Halo or Quake 3. Like I said developer comments really open up your eyes and adds a whole new dimension to the game if you're wondering how to approach a game from a critical perspective.

Then at least love it or hate it you can appreciate and understand it a little better.

Edit: If it makes you feel any better Mario Galaxy will knock one of them out of the top 10, and one of those should represent Half Life 1 in spirit, which does deserve to be in any top 10 list.  

your post seems to interchange Half-Life with Half-Life 2 at random. I LIKED the original. It is by far the best shooter made for any system ever bar none. I enjoyed TFC, CS, etc, which are all mods for the original as well. I also enjoyed some HL2 mods. But, I found the single player HL2 campaign boring. I don't think it holds a candle to the greatness of the original and I can't understand how its ranking on gamerankings can be higher than the original.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

Rubang B said:
You're right. Portal alone should be all of the top 10.

This is the correct answer. Give this man a cake.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

The Orange Box = $30 trade in at GS with a 30% extra trade (promo going on) +10% membership means I got $42 bucks for it. I got it at TRU 3:2 sale which means it cost me $40 plus tax. Considering I spent about $1.50 to play portal and learn that I don't like Half Life 2, I still give it a thumbs up, lol.

Interesting that my local GS already had a BUNCH of Orange box used -- like 10 already -- twice as many used Halo 3 and given the number of Halo 3 copies sold, there must be others like me out there that prefer the H3 experience over HL2.

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Around the Network
kn said:
The Orange Box = $30 trade in at GS with a 30% extra trade (promo going on) +10% membership means I got $42 bucks for it. I got it at TRU 3:2 sale which means it cost me $40 plus tax. Considering I spent about $1.50 to play portal and learn that I don't like Half Life 2, I still give it a thumbs up, lol.

Interesting that my local GS already had a BUNCH of Orange box used -- like 10 already -- twice as many used Halo 3 and given the number of Halo 3 copies sold, there must be others like me out there that prefer the H3 experience over HL2.

That's because the HL2 experience is gimped on 360, to be honest.

I'm not trying to be a PC fanboy...but the game is just designed for keyboard and mouse use...it does make a game different than a game designed for dual analogs, plain and simple.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

For instance:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IZYjqQlrtPo&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IZYjqQlrtPo&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Yeah...looks pretty fun, but man, I would get bored of that game in 10 minutes...the server's got half the players of a typical PC server, and the analog controls just kill the speed.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

I know PCs are the bomb for shooters. At one point in my lifetime I had cutting edge PC hardware. Now I buy the $399 special at the local retail chain when some super-special comes out, use it for a year or two, throw it in the trash and buy another one. I'm a console gamer and I'm willing to give up the best control scheme (mouse) for a living-room simple to fire it up and play experience.

That said, the Wii FPS point-n-shoot is interesting. I'm hoping MOH:H2 delivers...

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.