By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Half Life 2: Does it deserve it

I'm sure you're all aware of how, thanks to the Orange box, Halflife 2 appears in teh top on gamerankings 3 times. This seems wrong. The Orange Box's main "incredible" factor is due to the fact that it has a lot of content, and that most (original and episode 2) of that content is awesome. But, in the end, it *is* just a rehash of previously released games, albeit one that's an awesome value. The Orange Box 360, The Orange Box PC, and Half Life 2 are, essentially, the same game.

The fact that all three are on the top 10 seems like a flaw in the way gamerankings works. At the very least, the different versions of "the Orange Box" should be averaged into one overall score, (or just used the platform with the highest average as the one that is ranked?) and ranked like that. Same goes for other similar games like RE4 Gamecube/PS2.  

This isn't a knock on Halflife 2 itself: It easily deserves its spot on the top 10. But 3 times? It seems excessive, and a little unfair.

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

Around the Network

You're right. Portal alone should be all of the top 10.

Favorite Companies: Nintendo, Blizzard, Valve.
Recent New Favorites: Grasshopper, Atlus. (R.I.P. Clover.)
Heroes/Homies: Shigeru Miyamoto, Gunpei Yokoi, Will Wright, Eric Chahi, Suda51, Brian Eno, David Bowie.
Haiku Group: Haiku Hell.
Nemeses: Snesboy, fkusumot. 
GameDaily Article that Interviewed Me: Console Defense Forces.

Uh, it totally deserves it. Half Life 2 came out years ago, but it's still an amazing game...and since it got re-packaged in the Orange Box, it certainly deserves to shine again.

I suppose it could be unfair...I don't really care though...Half Life 2 is one of the best games I've ever played...I probably love it more than Mario or most Zelda games...OOT and Smash Bros being the only games I like better.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Your point makes no sense:
You're saying WITH Half Life 2 the Orange Box shouldn't be in the top 10, but it would be acceptable for the Orange Box to be in the top 10 if it DIDN'T include Half Life 2??

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

No I'm saying that the GAME half life 2 along with the GAME the orange box (which is mostly half life 2) are so similar that one or the other should be on the top 10, not both---The Orange Box would not have been so highly rated if it wasn't, essentially, Half Life 2 redefined. It's not a standalone game; it's morelike "half life 2+".

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

Around the Network

Well, I don't really consider Orange Box a game. In fact, it's not a game. It's a bundle. It's the most incredible deal in gaming history so I don't mind it sitting in top 10 as a blaring reminder to developers that they don't HAVE to rip off their customers, but I don't really consider Orange Box a game.

Yes...true gamers shouldn't care that Orange Box is up there, because Orange Box is amazing, and more people need to know it.

For those who still haven't bought Orange Box, it'll be $25 this Black Friday at Best Buy!

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Even without the box set all 3 games are top 10 worthy, together it being #1 is truly worth it.

Yes everyone top 3 games of all time

1. HL2
2. Zelda: OoT
3. Mario 64

(4. Mario Galaxy - just to let you know)

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

ssj12 said:
Even without the box set all 3 games are top 10 worthy, together it being #1 is truly worth it.

Yes everyone top 3 games of all time

1. HL2
2. Zelda: OoT
3. Mario 64

(4. Mario Galaxy - just to let you know)

i second that =)

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

Dude, Half Life 2 deserves all top 10 spots.

It's my favourite game of all time.