By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Square Enix is lazier than Nintendo...

darconi said:
SE probably has made more ports (lets redo the same content...on a different console), more rehashes (lets just redraw everything), and more unimaginative games out in the last year or so then i can remember.

How many FF/DQ remakes have they done over the last several years with the PS1, PS2, GBA, DS???

I distinctly remember them virtually redoing every single FF/DQ game from the 80s and 90s.

Retail console/handheld later ports/remakes since they merged...

1. Final Fantasy Origins (PS) 2003 (previously on NES/WS)
  2. Sword of Mana (GBA) 2003 (previously on GB)
  3. Front Mission 1st (PS) 2003 (previously on SNES/WS)
  4. Dragon Quest V: Tenku no Hanayome (PS2) 2004 (previously on SNES)
  5. Dragon Quest Characters: Torneko no Daibouken 3 Advance (GBA) 2004 (previously on PS2)
  6. Final Fantasy I & II: Dawn of Souls (GBA) 2004 (previously on NES/WS/PS)
  7. Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song (PS2) 2005 (previously on SNES/WS)
  8. Final Fantasy IV Advance (GBA) 2005 (previously on SNES/PS/WS)
  9. Final Fantasy XI: Online (360) 2005 (previously on PC/PS2)
  10. Valkyrie Profile Lenneth (PSP) 2006 (previously on PS)
  11. Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy in Itadaki Street Portable (PSP) 2006 (previously on PS2)
  12. Final Fantasy III (DS) 2006 (previously on NES)
  13. Final Fantasy V Advance (GBA) 2006 (previously on SNES/PS)
  14. Final Fantasy VI Advance (GBA) 2006 (previously on SNES/PS)
  15. Front Mission (DS) 2007 (previously on SNES/WS/PS) 
  16. Final Fantasy Anniversary Edition (PSP) 2007 (previously on NES/WS/PS/GBA/mobile)
  17. Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions (PSP) 2007 (previously on PS)
  18. Final Fantasy II Anniversary Edition (PSP) 2007 (previously on NES/WS/PS/GBA/mobile)
  19. Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen (DS) 2007 (previously on NES/PS)
  20. Final Fantasy IV (DS) 2007 (previously on NES/PS/WS/GBA)
  21. Front Mission 2089: Border of Madness (DS) 2008 (previously on mobile)
  22. Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride (DS) 2008 (previously on SNES/PS2)
  23. Star Ocean: First Departure (PSP) 2008 (previously on SNES)
  24. Cid to Chocobo Fushigi no Dungeon: Toki Wasure no Meikjyuu Plus (DS) 2008 (previously on Wii)
  25. Chrono Trigger (DS) 2008 (previously on SNES/PS)
  26. Kingdom Hearts: Re Chain of Memories (PS2) 2008 (previously on GBA)
  27. Star Ocean: Second Evolution (PSP) 2009 (previously on PS)
  28. SaGa 2 Hinou Densetsu: Goddess of Destiny (DS) 2009 (previously on GB)
  29. Dragon Quest VI: The Realms of Reverie (DS) 2010 (previously on SNES)
  30. Star Ocean: The Last Hope International (PS3) 2010 (previously on 360)
  31. Estpolis: the Lands Cursed by the Gods (DS) 2010 (previously on SNES)

...if we included mobiles, PC and console/handheld downloadables, this list would double btw.  If we also included Virtual Console and PS Archives, it'd triple.  If we also then included subsidiary games (Taito & Eidos) it'd quadriple!

Around the Network

And Square ARE lazy, they don't make inspired games anymore, where are the days of Xenogears? Chrono Cross? Vagrant Story? The Great Final Fantasies? (6,7,9).

Bet with Dr.A.Peter.Nintendo that Super Mario Galaxy 2 won't sell 15 million copies up to six months after it's release, the winner will get Avatar control for a week and signature control for a month.

RageBot said:
And Square ARE lazy, they don't make inspired games anymore, where are the days of Xenogears? Chrono Cross? Vagrant Story? The Great Final Fantasies? (6,7,9).

I'd take Dragon Quest over any of them.  Ew Xenogaers. :/

I do miss Matsuno though.  At least Kawazu's been (mostly) delivering still.

There are two problems with this analysis. 1) Look at the sheer number of ports they've done. That takes work! If I had done that many ports id be fraking tired too. 2) Coming up with new IP or adding a new game to existing IP doesn't just require work, it requires interest (not by customers, by developers).

If none of the lead developers are interested in making a new chrono game, then it just aid happening. It would take alot more people asking for a new chrono to force them to create a new one. Which causes another issue, since they are being forced, instead of being inspired, the game will inevitably suck. Game developers didn't become game developers just to make money, they primarily did it to make stuff that interests them. We gamers often forget about this.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

jarrod said:
RageBot said:

DQ is not my cup of tea, I prefer good plot, characters and soundtrack in my RPG, not gameplay (lol :P)

Bet with Dr.A.Peter.Nintendo that Super Mario Galaxy 2 won't sell 15 million copies up to six months after it's release, the winner will get Avatar control for a week and signature control for a month.

Around the Network
RageBot said:
jarrod said:
RageBot said:

DQ is not my cup of tea, I prefer good plot, characters and soundtrack in my RPG, not gameplay (lol :P)

Different strokes and all that, but I'd argue DQ has all 3 in spades.  I'll taking charming adventure over emo drama any day.

jefforange89 said:
Nintendo's lazy? Since when?

Since they released a game that have sold 10 million copies in 2 months

Guess the less games they sell the less lazy they are...

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

morenoingrato said:

Ok, before bashing, I'm not going to Final Fantasy series because they are all really good, the reason is:

Some years ago, a company was making a fan game called Chrono Resurrection, it had 10 scenes from the game in full 3D graphics, sadly in 2004, Square made the project cancelled...... so.... why are they lazy?

Because some years after that they ironically anouced a remake that turned out to be a port to the ds with some new features added. Case closed

I remember that, didn't they nearly finish it, Square should have paid them big time to release it, it looked awesome, but apart from that nope SE are not lazy, they just like making remakes sorry darth

Anyway they have done wonders with FF XIII

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

jneul said:
morenoingrato said:

Ok, before bashing, I'm not going to Final Fantasy series because they are all really good, the reason is:

Some years ago, a company was making a fan game called Chrono Resurrection, it had 10 scenes from the game in full 3D graphics, sadly in 2004, Square made the project cancelled...... so.... why are they lazy?

Because some years after that they ironically anouced a remake that turned out to be a port to the ds with some new features added. Case closed

I remember that, didn't they nearly finish it, Square should have paid them big time to release it, it looked awesome, but apart from that nope SE are not lazy, they just like making remakes sorry darth

yes but they're still lazy

morenoingrato said:
jneul said:
morenoingrato said:

yes but they're still lazy

Hey, I know it took 5 years, but it is hard work spending $60 million.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."