By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - So Bayonetta might be the greatest action game of ALL TIME

Forget about everything other than the combat (the stupid story, stupid characters, stupid dialogue, the main character) and focus only on the action and this is the best game of this genre since Ninja Gaiden on the Xbox and in my opinion it might actually be better than that (considered that game the best action game I've ever played for a long time now).

Why is it better than God of War 2, Devil May Cry and even Ninja Gaiden? First off combat wise and the enemies you encounter are so much tougher and more fun than anything in DMC franchise and God of War, regular enemies are like God of War boss fights in this game sometimes. It's got the feel of the combos and hitting and being hit down better than any game previous and it isn't as hard as NG which allows new comers to get into it and eventually (hopefully) master the game and go into the higher difficulty settings.

The way this game is to be played is this: don't buy or use any items and don't use your enemies weapons that drop (Stick to your hands and feet and guns) because they're just gonna water down the experience for you. Nothing beats the feeling of dodging in the very last second (and this game encourages getting in constant danger and dodging) and then annihilating the enemy with a 45 hit combo or something crazier. Yes the torture and climax stuff is over the top but it's more like the cherry on top, it's just a satisfying way to see enemies die. If you really want to be a purist don't use them when you can (in boss fights you have to sometimes).

I haven't even finished the game and I'm already thinking so highly of it. The one complaint about combat is the quick time events (no more QTE for anyone but GoW), otherwise this might be the most fun and best feeling combat flow and combination of dodge and attack in any game I've ever played. No block should be mandatory for all action games.

The game even changes your way of thinking through years of playing these games, it will punish you for dodging early and I don't mean by seconds, I mean by a second sometimes you will be punished for it. It literally pushes you to get into the very last second of not being hit and then dodge. Because of this style several times I was literally at 0 health and survived wave after wave of enemies.

In everything else God of War might be on top (presentation, story, visuals, no stupid jokes and less sexism) and DMC 4 can be a fun juggle fighter game, but this is the real deal, this game should be the template every action follows from now on, think of it as the Zelda of pure action games. With NG 2 being a complete disappointment this is the true successor to Ninja Gaiden last gen and to the original DMC and hopefully other developers learn how to make fighting fun and challenging at the same time as making feel like a bad ass in the first 5 seconds of the game. Another thing other developers should adopt is moving away from 20 hit memorization combos and into timing and reflexes and twitch stuff because even though it can be hard, it is more accessible to the new comer to action games as it is to the veteran who wants a change from the usual.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Around the Network

I just can't take the game serious~~

Huya said:
I just can't take the game serious~~

Like I said forget about the stupid characters and braindead story and lame jokes and sexism and just fight stuff, skip the movies also and don't even think about the story. If you do that and just appreciate what the game does so well you will understand why I rate it so highly.

I played the demo though and it was awesome, kinda wish DMC4 had the similiar combat style. That witchtime(or whatever the slowmotion is called) is pro and the picking up weapons part I enjoyed.

To be the best Action game of all time we wouldn't have to forget this and that.
To be the best it had to be orgasmic from every point.

And action games are becoming pretty popular. And God of War 3 might rape bayonetta's ass. Literally.

Around the Network

I don't know how to explain it but I just wish the character looked less slutty.

I played the PS3 demo today.

I didn't understand WHAT THE HELL was going on (bam, this move, that move, she grabs a weapon, mash, you put an enemy into a coffin...), but it was very fun and stylish.
I don't know about "best evar!!!!111" but my opinion about it is changed now. I'll be getting it i when I buy a 360.

gow 3 still needs to release then will see but i personally think gow and bayonetta are different DMC is more compariable

Bamboleo said:
To be the best Action game of all time we wouldn't have to forget this and that.
To be the best it had to be orgasmic from every point.

And action games are becoming pretty popular. And God of War 3 might rape bayonetta's ass. Literally.

It'll outsell it I'm pretty sure and there will be a lot more hype for it, but the combat can't be better I've played both God of Wars and the PSP one and it's the same formula with tweaks, Bayonetta's simple combat and enemies are just better. Am i going to buy God of War 3?

The day it comes out and I'll enjoy every minute and the brutality and boss fights and fun will still be there, but it's no Bayonetta because of the combat and in the end action is about the combat, the rest are just extras (God of War's story, characters and music are great for a game).

Didn't play it yet, but I doubt it will be better than Ninja Gaiden Black on the XBOX.