By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - So Bayonetta might be the greatest action game of ALL TIME

d21lewis said:
In 2001, Dante and Devil May Cry came out and changed the game. He had an instant fan base. In 2004, Kratos and God of War did the same (thought it was a little overrated, myself). He has a huge fan base. Bayonettas first game is better than their games. It's better than the Ninja Gaiden games, too (Ryu has a huge fanbase from the Nes, DoA, and Ninja Gaiden games). My best guess is that people are emotionally attached to the other series and because of that, they are going to hate Bayonetta. If she wasn't a threat to the other beloved franchises, If it wasn't classified as the best action game, there'd be a lot less hate thrown her way.

If a platformer game came along that was better than Mario, I'd hate it, too. I would never admit that it's better than my beloved franchise. I understand. It's human nature.

This is a possible explanation, but if someone argued with me that NG is better than Bayonetta (the original on Xbox not Sigma and 2) I'd think it's a good debate and I might say that both games are close in quality but comparing the combat in GoW and Dante's Inferno and DMC 4 to NG or Bayoneta is impossible in my opinion.

In all honesty, Bayonetta is Devil May Cry 2 (forget about the last 3 DMC games), the same stupid story and characters and ridiculous over the top stuff along with a great refined combat system that evolves the genre.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Around the Network
ckmlb said:
d21lewis said:
In 2001, Dante and Devil May Cry came out and changed the game. He had an instant fan base. In 2004, Kratos and God of War did the same (thought it was a little overrated, myself). He has a huge fan base. Bayonettas first game is better than their games. It's better than the Ninja Gaiden games, too (Ryu has a huge fanbase from the Nes, DoA, and Ninja Gaiden games). My best guess is that people are emotionally attached to the other series and because of that, they are going to hate Bayonetta. If she wasn't a threat to the other beloved franchises, If it wasn't classified as the best action game, there'd be a lot less hate thrown her way.

If a platformer game came along that was better than Mario, I'd hate it, too. I would never admit that it's better than my beloved franchise. I understand. It's human nature.

This is a possible explanation, but if someone argued with me that NG is better than Bayonetta (the original on Xbox not Sigma and 2) I'd think it's a good debate and I might say that both games are close in quality but comparing the combat in GoW and Dante's Inferno and DMC 4 to NG or Bayoneta is impossible in my opinion.

In all honesty, Bayonetta is Devil May Cry 2 (forget about the last 3 DMC games), the same stupid story and characters and ridiculous over the top stuff along with a great refined combat system that evolves the genre.

Oh yeah.  The story f*****g sucks!  But the gameplay is magnifique.

d21lewis said:

Both God of War PS2 games were better reviewed games than Bayonetta on Xbox or PS3. I'd hazard a guess people are just giving honest opinions and you're trying to hard.

totalcluedo said:
d21lewis said:

Both God of War PS2 games were better reviewed games than Bayonetta on Xbox or PS3. I'd hazard a guess people are just giving honest opinions and you're trying to hard.

Fair enough.

Well it was a vastly better game than DMC4 IMO. It was simply outrageous and over the top fun, something that few games seem to be able to provide these days.

I personally still prefer the GOW games, however this comfortrably sits above both DMC4 and NG2 for me this gen.

Around the Network
ckmlb said:
iWarMachine said:
Bayonetta will be the greatest action game of all time, until God Of War 3 comes out.

Why? because Bayonetta it's 80% DMC + some redefined gameplay + new character + new story
-The game failed, it didn't sell more than 1M across both platforms, i don't think it will.
-Platinum Games can't even make a good port of their best selling platform.
-The main character is not appealing at all.
-The combat is not redefining anything.

Why GOW3 will be the greatest action game of all time?

-it'll be the best selling hack & slash game.
-The best story you can find in this genre, great design too.
-Great graphics running at 60fps.
-Main character appealing.
-The combat redefined the genre ( see darksiders, dante's inferno, and other games which tries to "steal" the best of it )

this is my opinion, i have to say that i don't like BAYONETTA at all, it looks dull to me, just because itagaki created the game it doesn't mean it's good, the game it's the same from DMC to me.

- Sales do not equal quality, by your stance Wii Sports is the best sports game of all time and Knock Out is the best boxing game of all time and Mario Kart is the best racing game of all time.

Fair enough.

- Yes, the story in Bayonetta is crap and God of War has one of the best story/dialogue combinations in video games.

I sense some sarcasm here...i'm not saying that the story in bayonetta is bad since i didn't played it, but the greek mythology is far more appealing than some witch stuff imo.

- Graphics don't equal quality (Killzone 2 and Crysis are not the best FPS games)

Quality depends on gameplay and story,but the graphics are not just eye candy since graphics = atmosphere = inmersion, but if we talk about graphics as a technical subject, then bayonetta is far from being good, since the ps3 version is crap compared to the 360 version and even this version has framerate issues.

- God of War only redefined gameplay because of copy cats: Dante feels like Conan or something (As in it's garbage) and Darksiders is more Zelda than GoW from what I've heard.

Halo redefined the genre with the same tactic as god of war...they copy some gameplay elements and made them much better, that's why several games have this game as an example

- God of War 3 is gonna be 99% the same combat as 1 and 2. Bayonetta is far removed from DMC (DMC 4 was all about juggling and button memorization, Bayonetta is all about timing), Bayonetta is the next evolution of action games just like DMC was when it came out. The future of action is in speed and reflexes and dodging not blocking and slowly hitting a few times (GoW) or juggling dumb enemies in the air for 30 seconds (DMC).

I don't know if GOW3 will be 99% the same as 1 and 2, they already added and showed different mechanics...bB

Bayonetta is about speed and reflexes, God Of War is about slow-paced heavy combat and Devil May Cry is about air combos and combinations, they're 3 different gameplay styles under the same genre, bayonetta will not be the evolution of action games, neither will be god of war or devil may cry, but each of them will inspire other games under the same category of gameplay.

I'm Back! - Proud owner of the best doomed handheld of all time!

No sarcasm about the GoW and Bayonetta stories, one is good (the first) and one is garbage (the second).

Bayonetta's gameplay is really fun and one of the best gaming experiences I've had in a long time.

Reviving a dead thread, but since there isn't an official thread I'll post it here. I'm down to the last two chapters of the game, the last two fights with Jeanne were two of the best boss fights in any game I've ever played.

I've skipped maybe 75% of the cut scenes so far, so I have no idea what's going on in the story, just skipping and going fight to fight at this point.

greatest action game of all time? Not even close.