By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - So Bayonetta might be the greatest action game of ALL TIME

I don't care if it doesn't sell a million, if people want to hate it just for the sake of doing it, whatever. All i know is i really enjoyed the game, gameplay is amazing plus i didn't have to "Forget" all the other things since i did appreciate them.

I love a game that can make fun of itself, the ott characters, even the music since i think it fits the main character.

Anyway, i'm not sure if this deserves to be called the best action game or anything like that, all i know is this is MY favorite action game and don't think any other can take its place in the near future, unless Kamiya does it again.

But something tells me SEGA will screw Bayonetta 2 since Kamiya doesn't believe in sequels. xD Hope i'm wrong.

Around the Network

this is the most unappealing character ever, i sometimes kill her on purpose.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

I beat Bayonetta on Normal, and thus far, i'd have to agree with the OP in regards to it being the best action game ever made. I'd also give GOW3 about a 5% chance of topping it (being generous).

What I disagree with is that the characters, story, and Mythology are bad, and that combat is the only thing that makes it better (it doesn't).

What also makes Bayonetta the best action game ever, is on top of having a brilliantly fluid, and deep combat system, with enemy AI that is a marked improvement over DMC, it also that it is just purely insane. Take every impressive point in God of War (boss fights, QTE's, presentation), and Bayonetta absolutely destroys it in every regard, many times over. Plus, the story is done by the creaters of resident evil/Okami. Its puposefully cheesy (in a very good way), but also relatively deep (in myth), and very intriguing. Though the dialouge isn't that great, and it is too vague. But Bayonetta is a fantastic character, probably the strongest and best female lead I've seen in a game ( I certainly haven't played every game though ;)).

On top of this, the level design is excellent, and pretty nuts as well. A bit of a spolier, but Bayonetta can also walk, and fight on walls/spheres, at any angle. Imagine being chased through the narrow streets of an italian-like paradise city, by rolling balls of fire, which were triggered by an angry god trying to eradicate you in any way possible. Lava is spewing through the floors, and you must run through the streets, along the sides of buildings, up the face of buildings, which fall over mid-run and you must recover from. Meanwhile you run into bigger and bigger enemies, finally running into an absolutely massive, agry god, who is a giant upside-down baby face, with two huge dragon heads coming out at the tops, and large wings. All this time, Bayonetta never feels overly linear, and always remembers to include good exploration, and many secrets. Now imagine that this stuff happens constantly, consistently, and increasingly better throughout 17 levels, and feels to have a mster-class feel in dynamics, with lulls and climax's, peaks and valley's incredibly well pace throughout the entire time, without any backtracking, and through incredibly varied and often breathtaking environments. Also, the graphics engine is very impressive.

In my opinion, God of War was impressive for its presentation, and accesability. Its combat was great, if you'd never played another action game. Its story was great..for an action game. But the polish of it all, and the over-the-top cinematic style is what made it so impressive. Its combat system was always mediocre in comparison. Lacking in strategy, depth of combos, it had overly simple, cheap enemies, but it did have some impressive and fun bosses (though they were few). It was also really short, and way too linear with very little in the way of exploration.

Also, Kratos is a great character, but GOW's story was not great. It was Epic, but also a shallow depiction of Characters (Greek Gods), taken from far more impressive literature. Kratos was always a one-dimentsional character as well (I'm angry...but thats about it). But the way the story was presented is awesome. More of a good popcorn flick than a good story.

The reason God of War is copied so much, is because it was the most popular...and it was the easiest to copy. God of War 3 would have to be a radical departure from its predacessors to compete with Bayonetta, and looking at its predacessors, and screens/video, I don't have much hope that's happening. Although I'm sure it will still be quite good, and technically look great, if not amazing.

Having said all this, Ninja Gaiden 2 still has a deeper combat system than Bayonetta, and far superior AI. But its lack of polish and cheapness is what kills it. Bayonetta is just a much smoother ride. Its an over 12 hour solid campaign, with tons of amazing and fun to fight enemies, and bosses, and has a ton of replayability and unlockables. Its an amazing game.

Hero_time88 said:
Gh0st4lifE said:
Bayonetta is so much better on 360 it should be considered an exclusive.

Poeple who haven't played the "superior version" are enjoying it as almost much as the others.

The only thing that sometimes can be frustrating to me are the pause loading times, then again, i'm no graphics whore at all

A game called bayonetta did come out for PS3, but its not the same game.

I might as well add my opinion...

Bayonetta
+ Combat system is fun, deep, and fluid
+ The game encourages use of the combat system to its fullest through prologue and Alfheim's
+ Story is solid and cohesive
+ Graphics are excellent
+ Comic relief in several cases is perfectly timed and hilarious
+ Alfheim portal challenges are very well done
+ The game is just plain addictive
+ Elegantly brutal when slicing and dicing

I think Bayonetta is the best overall action game out there... It may not be top in every category, but it is on top overall today.

It is far stronger than DMC4, NGII didn't have as strong of story, GoW has too gloomy of a tone in comparison, and Darksiders is in the same alley as GoW. I don't know how they could have did much better for Bayonetta.

Around the Network
psrock said:
until march

The worlds ending 2012 , not in 2 months.....

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!!!

The bottom line is... with bayonetta its hard to deny its an amazing game. The review average on metacritic is 91 after 65 reviews (xbox 360 version) and only 2 of those are under 80...

This is with keeping in mind that story and dialogue isn't the greatest and that the lead character is very unconventional. Gameplay must be very appealing to lift it to such a high review average with the obvious shortcomings...

NeoRatt said:
I might as well add my opinion...

Bayonetta
+ Combat system is fun, deep, and fluid
+ The game encourages use of the combat system to its fullest through prologue and Alfheim's
+ Story is solid and cohesive
+ Graphics are excellent
+ Comic relief in several cases is perfectly timed and hilarious
+ Alfheim portal challenges are very well done
+ The game is just plain addictive
+ Elegantly brutal when slicing and dicing

I think Bayonetta is the best overall action game out there... It may not be top in every category, but it is on top overall today.

It is far stronger than DMC4, NGII didn't have as strong of story, GoW has too gloomy of a tone in comparison, and Darksiders is in the same alley as GoW. I don't know how they could have did much better for Bayonetta.

the story is solid and cohesive ?

Are we playing the same game ?

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

I don't think the story is that bad at all to be honest. Especially not by action game standards (GOW, NG, DMC). The detail that went into the mythology is actually fairly impresive I'd say, and equal to anything Capcom puts out (remember, the guys who created Bayonetta also created Resident Evil 1,2,4 and Okami, they know how to create an interesting world).

I think that if there's a problem, its that it's your usual japanese kookyness, with an extra layer of intentional cheese (I actually find this part to be a huge plus). Also, another problem is how characters tend to talk to themselves without interuption, and that everything is just too vague. Its not great, but it is cohesive, just not easily comprehendable.

Bayonetta herself, on the other hand, is an excellent character. Incredibly likable, very strong willed, great sense of humour, sexy, smart, driven. The type of character that resonates with personallity when she appears on-screen.

Now, don't tell me you think God of war actually has a good story.

Nebulous said:

I don't think the story is that bad at all to be honest. Especially not by action game standards (GOW, NG, DMC). The detail that went into the mythology is actually fairly impresive I'd say, and equal to anything Capcom puts out (remember, the guys who created Bayonetta also created Resident Evil 1,2,4 and Okami, they know how to create an interesting world).

I think that if there's a problem, its that it's your usual japanese kookyness, with an extra layer of intentional cheese (I actually find this part to be a huge plus). Also, another problem is how characters tend to talk to themselves without interuption, and that everything is just too vague. Its not great, but it is cohesive, just not easily comprehendable.

Bayonetta herself, on the other hand, is an excellent character. Incredibly likable, very strong willed, great sense of humour, sexy, smart, driven. The type of character that resonates with personallity when she appears on-screen.

Now, don't tell me you think God of war actually has a good story.

I like the bayonetta story as well...its very original. I like when a game doesn' take itself so seriously. There is nothing worse than a videogame medium thiking its more important than it actually is.