By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is there such a thing as "middle core"?

llewdebkram said:
Hardcore just means killing, bad language, drugs and crashing cars.

Basically all things that in real life would get you in trouble with the law, that's why they are seen as cool.

Anyone that can name me a 'hardcore' game that does not include these I will personally send them a Mars bar :P

It ain't hardcore for shit.

Hardcore is best exemplified by Demon's Souls or Armored Core.

Around the Network

Should i post the guide to gamers again? Red Ocean Casual, under my terminology, and they definitely exist. The Madden & Halo kinda gamer, who can't properly be lumped in with the Wii Fit gamer, but nor can they really be lumped in with someone like me who has No More Heroes 2 on preorder with 1-day shipping

The media likes to draw these lines of real gamers playing real games, and these people playing with toys, but it's certainly more complex than that. Even more so when we draw the lines down the hobbyists.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Megas XLR is awesome by the way.

My name is blubeard because rosie has a blue beard. Just not on her chest.

Xen said:
llewdebkram said:

Basically all things that in real life would get you in trouble with the law, that's why they are seen as cool.

Anyone that can name me a 'hardcore' game that does not include these I will personally send them a Mars bar :P

It ain't hardcore for shit.

Hardcore is best exemplified by Demon's Souls or Armored Core.

I agree, I don't think a game is hardcore because of killing or bad language etc.

Personally, I think of hardcore games as games that aren't about instant gratification. I can't actually come up with one right now, but hopefully you get what I'm talking about.

Isn't that just Core?

Around the Network
llewdebkram said:

Aside from Sports, Fighters and Puzzlers, I can't think of a game that doesn't have you killing something.

4 ≈ One

Lets see if I can add my spin to it.  I won't reference to any specific games.

Casual - plays games that involve very little learning curve and can be enjoyed immediately and with small gaming sessions.  Also describes those who choose games based on what "everyone else" is playing, mostly FPS because violence is cathartic.

old school gamer - someone who has played games steadily since before the PS2/GCN/XBOX era (this is my opinion).

core - these people tend to be more informed about what is going on in the world.  They tend to vary their gaming experience to other than what the majority of gamers play.  They tend to prefer games that offer a decent challenge.

hardcore - these gamers are probably also old school gamers.  They look for new and innovative games who can offer them a fresh experience.  They prefer games with a strong challenge (preferable variable challenge).  They are very well informed as to what is happening in the gaming world, and often plays niche titles.

That is my take on it.  Playing a game online until you are rediculously good at a game does not make you hardcore.  Being able to pick up a game and be good at it in a short time does.

llewdebkram said:

I have one for you

When can I get my Mars bar?

llewdebkram said:

I think of Tetris Attack as a hardcore game.  I also think of Trauma Center and Phoenix Wright as hardcore games.  Other than racing and puzzle games, I can't think of any game that doesn't have you killing anything.  But Psychonauts and Beyond good and evil doesn't match your description, which I consider hard core games.

But that is all a matter of opinion.  I don't consider spastic shooting a hardcore genre, but I consider some FPS games hardcore.  It is kinda hard to describe.