By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is there such a thing as "middle core"?

A website a little while back wrote an article about this. All the time I see these people who are PS3/360 users that play halo and ratchet and clank that your mom would most likely have no interest in. However they don't look at sites like kotaku, they don't know about the releases of triple AAA games untill they see commercials or the ad in the paper. They don't know about or watch E3 either..

I see these gamers all the time who are hardcore people, but they aren't into the subculture so much.

I guess there are a couple of talking points here... Is there such a thing as middle core? Does your level of involvement in the alleged gamer subculture really matter? Do you know any gamers like the type I describe?

My name is blubeard because rosie has a blue beard. Just not on her chest.

Around the Network

is a middle core person someone who enjoys hardcore and casual games lol, just joking, i don't think there is such a thing, maybe that website is talking rubbish, can I have a link to it please just to clarifiy what you are going on about

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

Meh, "casual"/"hardcore" are one thing. informed/misinformed is another, I don't see why a "casual" gamer is assumed to be misinformed while a "hardcore" one is assumed to be informed.

Bet with Dr.A.Peter.Nintendo that Super Mario Galaxy 2 won't sell 15 million copies up to six months after it's release, the winner will get Avatar control for a week and signature control for a month.

"Middle core". Not oxymoron... since that's a contradiction... redundant?

Yeah, we used to call them "casual". If you played mostly GTA, Madden or console FPS last gen you were "casual". Final Fantasy was an RPG for "casuals".

Around the Network

I guess you could call them the average gamer.

You won't find them on websites like this one or IGN and Gamespot.

This will only take a moment of your time. *steals your watch*

Vote to Localize — SEGA and Konami Polls

Vote Today To Help Get A Konami & SEGA Game Localized.This Will Only Work If Lots Of People Vote.

Click on the Image to Head to the Voting Page (A vote for Yakuza is a vote to save gaming)

jarrod said:
Yeah, we used to call them "casual". If you played mostly GTA, Madden or console FPS last gen you were "casual". Final Fantasy was an RPG for "casuals".

Xen said:
jarrod said:

Lol, I still refer to these guys as casual :P

Bet with Dr.A.Peter.Nintendo that Super Mario Galaxy 2 won't sell 15 million copies up to six months after it's release, the winner will get Avatar control for a week and signature control for a month.

Honestly I have always thought that casuals were more the people who play games without any intense fandom. The people who I consider hardcore are the people who have the master sword in their bedroom. Or they remember the first time they saw Vagrant story fan fic.

My name is blubeard because rosie has a blue beard. Just not on her chest.