By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - FFXIII is 32.6GB of movies and just 6.8GB of actual game content

So......FFXIII is huge and amazing. Thanks for the information.

Around the Network

I actually did read the thread, apparently my brain filtered some posts out.

I can't complain much though, since I didn't miss anything important ;)

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:
I actually did read the thread, apparently my brain filtered some posts out.

I can't complain much though, since I didn't miss anything important ;)

I wish my brain could just do that. Would make my time here much easier.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Euphoria14 said:
NJ5 said:
@Euphoria14:

Did anyone actually complain about the amount of cutscenes?

Not sure you're serious or trying to be smart, but here is the first reply in this very thread.

what the hell is this, a game or movie?

These are in the following few pages.

This tells me a lot. I just raher watch a better movie. It's cheaper and shorter. After that, I'll play some Final Fantasy V, wich is much better of a game.

WoW....and no wonder its being hailed as linier, ah well might pick it up when its dirt cheap.

Not to try and be a jerk, but did you read the entire thread? It has a bit of complaining like this and a lot of people claiming that it either debunks the notion that 360 held it back or not.

I know its ridiculous isn't it!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

darconi said:
Staude said:
darconi said:
Staude said:
darconi said:
Well...so much for the need to have greater than DVD storage space...

I bet it took longer for them to create the movies than it did for the rest of the actual game. SE needs to stop their lovefest with movies, there must still be a lot of bitter people after the failure of The Spirits Within.

Spirits within was a great movie. Very deep and way ahead of it's time. It's not like the ff7based movie which was just fanservice.

I thought it was ok at best, the plot to me was fairly nonsensical.  I would've much preferred a more fantasy based movie than the sci-fi based one they ended up with. 

Regardless, TSW pretty much bankrupted SE and almost destroyed the entire studio so can't exactly be considered a success.

Well many people did think it was weird. Financially it wasn't a success but it was a major innovation in 3d movis. I mean even to this day you have to look long and hard for such visual details as it has.

You can find it today, sure.. But you'll still have to look long and hard for it.

Not that hard...I see Avatar plastered everywhere I go as an example.  TSW wasn't done in 3d that I remember though, I guess you mean CGI? 

Ah Avatar. I was referring to CGI yes. Did not take avatar into account. I haven't seen it yet. I suppose it's time to seperate 3d and cgi since 3d viewing of movies is becoming popular.

My point was that it was visually far ahead of it's time :P

Check out my game about moles ^

Around the Network
darthdevidem01 said:
Euphoria14 said:
NJ5 said:
@Euphoria14:

Did anyone actually complain about the amount of cutscenes?

Not sure you're serious or trying to be smart, but here is the first reply in this very thread.

what the hell is this, a game or movie?

These are in the following few pages.

This tells me a lot. I just raher watch a better movie. It's cheaper and shorter. After that, I'll play some Final Fantasy V, wich is much better of a game.

WoW....and no wonder its being hailed as linier, ah well might pick it up when its dirt cheap.

Not to try and be a jerk, but did you read the entire thread? It has a bit of complaining like this and a lot of people claiming that it either debunks the notion that 360 held it back or not.

I know its ridiculous isn't it!

It could be better.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Staude said:
blaydcor said:
Hmmm, so the volume of the cut content would have been, what, half a gig at most? Guess all the stupid "FF XIII was gimped cause of 360 version!!" idiots can shut up.

Actually on a dual layered dvd they can use about 6.8 gb of space. The rest is used for various types of copyprotection stuff enforced by microsoft.

This means that the 3 disced 360 version will only be able to be around 19-20 gigabyte. And even if they could use it all, it would still only amount to 27 gigabytes. Ofcourse your point is that no gameplay content has been cut because of this.

What you have to take into concideration are two things.

1. Compression. If they compress the video too much, it'll look noticably worse. They don't want this to happen.

2. Gameplay content overlaps. In other words. Each dvd has to have a bunch of things that are the same across the three. For instance, your char models, textures and sounds.

Ofcourse the second one is much more expansive than I explained but you should get the idea.

That's not to say the game would have been any different had it been exclusive. Frankly, noone knows if it would.

Whoosh! My point was that the volume of any cut content would be negligilbe, at the very most requiring an extra DVD; and how much trouble would a 5th be when they already have 4?

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

blaydcor said:
Staude said:
blaydcor said:
Hmmm, so the volume of the cut content would have been, what, half a gig at most? Guess all the stupid "FF XIII was gimped cause of 360 version!!" idiots can shut up.

Actually on a dual layered dvd they can use about 6.8 gb of space. The rest is used for various types of copyprotection stuff enforced by microsoft.

This means that the 3 disced 360 version will only be able to be around 19-20 gigabyte. And even if they could use it all, it would still only amount to 27 gigabytes. Ofcourse your point is that no gameplay content has been cut because of this.

What you have to take into concideration are two things.

1. Compression. If they compress the video too much, it'll look noticably worse. They don't want this to happen.

2. Gameplay content overlaps. In other words. Each dvd has to have a bunch of things that are the same across the three. For instance, your char models, textures and sounds.

Ofcourse the second one is much more expansive than I explained but you should get the idea.

That's not to say the game would have been any different had it been exclusive. Frankly, noone knows if it would.

Whoosh! My point was that the volume of any cut content would be negligilbe, at the very most requiring an extra DVD; and how much trouble would a 5th be when they already have 4?

Actually there has been some debate over this. Not in relation to this game. Rage developer Carmack said that they would use as few discs for rage as possible. A natural reason ofcourse, would be because it breaks up the game.. However ! A different reason was given. He said that royalty fees increased a lot when you used multiple discs. (atleast if you use 3+)

I'm not sure if it's the same for rpg games but it's a viable concern. It wouldn't affect microsoft published games since they don't have to pay royalty.

Anyways you can read for yourself here:

"id's post-apocalyptic open-world shooter Rage (PC, PS3, 360, Mac) will look worse on Xbox 360 due to the compression needed to fit the game's assets on two DVDs, programmer John Carmack revealed at tonight's QuakeCon keynote.

According to Carmack, the royalty fees to include a third disc in the Xbox 360 version would be so high that it simply isn't a feasible solution, with the programmer hoping for Microsoft to make a concession. He stressed that the issue is merely a storage problem and has nothing to do with the power of the Xbox 360 hardware, while adding that the PlayStation 3's Blu-ray format is Sony's one leg up on the competition."

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/53976

EDIT: for your first sentence. Well it depends on how many extra assets they would need and if they would have to be placed on all discs or only one.

Check out my game about moles ^

The Spirits Within was not ahead of its time. It's CGI was about at the level that could be done for movies at the time.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

These threads are full of ignorant people!

OK, let's get a few things clear;

First of all, it's not unusual for the vast majority of a game's data to be taken up by the cutscenes. FF7, for example, had about 250MB of game data (i.e. everything that wasn't an FMV); the rest of the game data (about 900MB) was FMVs. All of the game data was the same across all three discs; the movies were the only things that changed (besides one animation for Supernova, but that took up a few KB IIRC). Each disc had ~250MB of game data and ~300 MB of movies. FF8 and FF9 worked the same way AFAIK. Incidentally, this means that games which took up three or four discs back in those days had less than two discs worth of data; they needed more discs because there was repetition and data had to be shared. Likewise, the data on the three disc 360 version of FF13 probably takes up about 10GB of data: it's certainly less than 15GB worth. The reason why it is split across three discs rather than two is because some of the data has to be repeated.

It's also obvious that the game data on the 360 version of FF13 is much more heavily compressed than the data on the PS3 version. Whether or not this leads to a loss in quality is a different question (it probably won't lead to a noticeable loss, unless you're one of those twats who zooms in on one or two pixels just for the sake of an internet argument), but it's certainly more compressed. Even if they picked out the game data that doesn't have to be shared across all discs (such as monsters or locations that only appear on one), there would still only be a tiny amount of space left for the movies. Let's say they cut down the movies and data that doesn't have to be on all discs to 10GB and cut down the data that does have to be shared to 2GB less than the disc's capacity. They'd need five discs, because there'd only be space for 2GB of the data that is unique to each disc once they'd put the data that has to be shared onto it. My guess is that they've compressed the data that has to be shared down to less than half its original size, because that's the only way they'd be able to fit the rest onto three discs.

BTW, please don't write an angry response to this post of you haven't taken the time to understand what I've said (it will make you look silly), or if you're going to bitch about some perceived slight to your favourite console (it will make you look like a fanboy).