By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - FFXIII is 32.6GB of movies and just 6.8GB of actual game content

I am aware the PS1 and PS2 FF games had FMVs. I'm just shocked this game has any. I would have though they would do the whole thing in-game. Heck, the trailers made it look that way.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

32 GB means around 4 hours of 720p high quality video. In 1080p that would mean almost 3 hours, but i'm guessing the CGI is 720p in FFXIII.

I'm pretty cool with this, if we add the realtime cutscenes than we're definitelly looking at a pretty long and most likely incredibly well produced story.

Best news i heard all week ^_^ (too bad i already have a good deal on the 360 version...i hope the extra video compression will be acceptable though i'm definitelly expecting massive artefacts).

"You have the right to the remains of a silent attorney"

Hopefully they can get rid of the need for movies next generation entirely and just use in-engine cinematics. It'll definately save a lot of space and keep the costs from going any higher.

Seraphic_Sixaxis said:
cgi-quality total amounts to that?

what the hell is this, a game or movie?

FF7 is your favorite game right?  (I thought so anyway.)

Final Fantasy 7 had the entire game on each disc.  ALL the monsters, locations skills, items, you name it.

The only difference on each CD was the cutscenes.

In reality, this kinda thing shouldn't surprise anybody.  I'd guess cutscenes took up the majority of ever Final Fantasy since then.  Except possibly 12... since 12 really didn't look much better cutscene wise then the in game engine.

"FF7 is your favorite game right?"

5th gen systems couldn't display scenes of that scale with appreciable quality.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Around the Network
LordTheNightKnight said:

I... don't get it.  He's complaining about the space of the cutscenes being more then the space of the game from what I can tell.

Which was the case starting with FF7.  FF7's cutscenes are the only reason the game couldn't fit on 1 disc.

burning_phoneix said:
lestatdark said:
burning_phoneix said:
lestatdark said:
Spedfrom said:
So what? Those movies are in high definition which means they will be occupying a lot of disk space.

What it DOESN'T mean is that the game sucks, or by the same account, that it is brilliant, for only using up 6.8 GB. That's a very limited thought process.

Past Final Fantasies of the PS 1 and 2 era also used a lot of disk space for their movies and nobody complained, quite the conrtary.

It's about high fucking time people stop pissing all over Final Fantasy just because the JRPG era is over and all they want now is shooter-o-rama.

How many space does the cutscenes in any HD WRPG occupy in the game as well? I think that people are just doing this to get a rise over JRPGs, exactly for what you just said. 

Most cutscenes in WRPGs are done in-engine so I don't think they can be measured.

IIRC, most of disc space in WRPGs goes to voice acting.

Never the less they are cutscens right? You don't control anything in cutscenes. Dragon Age: Origins had tons of cutscenes, Mass Effect did too. It may be in-engine, yet the fact remains that they take up viable game time, just as any FMV in JRPG gamimg.

Most cutscenes in WRPGs are dialougue scenes that the player can control though.

You know forget it. I don't want this to be a JRPG/WRPG flamewar. I'll judge the cutscenes in FFXIII on their own merits.

I'm not trying to make this a JRPG / WRPG war, I'm a huge fan of both genres, I was just adressing the issue of what people were judging in FFXIII, nothing else. Almost every game now is filled with cutscenes and set pieces in which you don't have that much control, that was my point only >_<

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Spedfrom said:
So what? Those movies are in high definition which means they will be occupying a lot of disk space.

What it DOESN'T mean is that the game sucks, or by the same account, that it is brilliant, for only using up 6.8 GB. That's a very limited thought process.

Past Final Fantasies of the PS 1 and 2 era also used a lot of disk space for their movies and nobody complained, quite the conrtary.

It's about high fucking time people stop pissing all over Final Fantasy just because the JRPG era is over and all they want now is shooter-o-rama.

Thank you very much sir. I was waiting for someone to state the obvious. FF has always had a lot of cutscenes and I've always thought they were awesome. IDK what changed among FF fans over the years that makes them complain now or maybe it really just the "others" complaining not the current FF fans. If you dont like the game, skip it for whatever reason you pull out your ass but please spare us the whining...geez.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Kasz216 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

I... don't get it.  He's complaining about the space of the cutscenes being more then the space of the game from what I can tell.

Which was the case starting with FF7.  FF7's cutscenes are the only reason the game couldn't fit on 1 disc.

Then the comment depends on if he is taking the older FFs into account or not.

Honestly the linearity ticks me off more. It makes it look as though the cut scenes were the point of the game instead of a draw like the other FF games.