By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Forgotten HD 3rd Party Bombs

I'm a big HD gamer. More than most people on this site who don't even own non-HD consoles. That said, the recent attitude gamers and a few pubs seem to have that implies HD is a garaunteed formula for success completely confounds me. So here are some games to remind you of what can happen in HD development, specifically picked from 2 publishers who've been very vocal on the subject recently.

Note: it's been said an HD game needs well over .8 million units to break even on an average core game, implying that even 1 million units would only yeild a marginal profit. source

Ubisoft:

Enchanted Arms - .38 million units
Vlevet Assassin - .09 million units
Call of Juarez (original, not Bound in Blood) - .25 million units
James Cameron's Ego, er.. Avatar - .57 million units
Naruto: Rise of a Ninja - .32 million units
Beowulf: The Game - .5 million units
HAWX - .84 million units
Naruto: The Broken Bond - .55 million units

Sega:

Sonic the Hedgehog - .97 million units (note almost half of these were at a price of $40 or less, i.e. no profit/no loss sales)
Virtua Fighter 5 - .73 million units
Universe at War - .07 million units
Phantasy Stary Universe - .10 million units
Virtua Tennis 2009 - .51 million units
Golden Axe: Beast Rider - .22 million units
The Club - .39 million units
Armored Core 4 - .42 million units
Armored Core For Answer - .25 million units
Viking: Battle for Asgard - .69 million units
Condemned - .47 million units
Condemned 2 - .79 million units

And just for a kicker, the infamous massive budget Capcom game, Bionic Commando - .37 million units.

The point is this: Games bomb. Mostly bad games, some really good games, but regardless they bomb on all platforms, and it always hurts developers when it happens. This is not a defense of the Wii, or an attack on HD systems. It's a defense of reality.I don't beleive there is any evidence that the Wii is a more viable or stable market solution than HD. Every game should be taken as an individual, with individual chances of success or failure almost completely exclusive of the platform that game is on (aside from obviously needing a certain base amount of potential consumers).

Around the Network

nice list and i'm sure that you could add more from other publishers also.

What about Haze (0.83, real big budget) and Lair (0.39 mill)?

lol kantor would laugh at me right now since alot of those games are my faveorite ones this gen.

AC4

AC: FA

PSU

Enchanted Arms.

Quite a few of them are one of my faves. guess that means i have bad taste huh?

Those games you listed are about the same quality as the third party support on Wii, actually i'd say some of them are a lot better. They shouldn't be complaining their games don't sell on Wii until they make games that deserve to sell.

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:

There are a lot I could have listed, but didn't. Just gave some quick examples to prove a point. Games bomb, it sucks. Move on, don't blame specific consoles for it.

Exactly.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

naznatips said:
Mummelmann said:

There are a lot I could have listed, but didn't. Just gave some quick examples to prove a point. Games bomb, it sucks. Move on, don't blame specific consoles for it.

Oh, I agree. In my two examples I mostly place the blame on the game being utter shit.

Thus the reason Developers are losing money.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

I still want to play Bionic Commando, I loved Grin's remake with Rearmed and I'm sad that they were shut down considering how much I adored Rearmed.

Currently playing: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, NBA2k11, Metal Gear Solid, Picross 3d