By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Forgotten HD 3rd Party Bombs

Words Of Wisdom said:
naznatips said:

There aren't key success factors for 3rd party games. There is no golden ticket. That's the stupid thing people expect. Obviously if you slap Mario on your game it's going to sell, but aside from that, there is absolutely no proof of potential sales on the Wii, just as there's none on the PS3 and 360.

Every game has the possibility of success and failure. You are never ever garaunteed to make money on a game. Even on a brand name. You have a better shot if you advertise, but damn WoW half those games up there had big ad budgets (Virtua Fighter, Condemned, Avatar, HAWX, etc.). If Wii fanboys thinking pushing some TV ads is going to garauntee their 3rd party games success they are delusional.

This is hardly a mocking thread, it's a facing reality thread. Reality sucks. Good games fail quite often, bad games sometimes succeed. Any game that fails puts publishers that much closer to going out of business in an industry where a tiny fraction maintain numbers in the red. That's the truth.

Missing the forest for the trees.  Focusing on the example caused you to miss my point entirely.  You can rationalize this thread's motivations all you like but it's not a facing reality thread, it's a simple revenge thread.  Even in the beginning you subconsciously attempt to justify it by opening with "I own XYZ so I'm qualified to criticize it" line.  Just step back and ask yourself, "How many non-trolling posters have I seen use that line?"

thats how i see it aswell...so +1

Around the Network
Seece said:

@ Naz - I didn't realise "Troll" was a bannable offense now?

Must be new just in

OT: I don't see the point of this thread, I don't see anyone saying HD games don't bomb, it's just the majority of 3rd party games do much better on PS360 than Wii 3rd party games ..

OP has just listed like 10 games. Your joking if you think thats the end of the number of failures.

Do a percentage analysis, including marketing and production costs, and then ill believe it. As far as i can tell nobody has bothered.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

The thing is, look at those games, and none of them were ever that hyped or that good. I also would say that HAWX is a reasonably low budget game, and for a flight sim it has done quite well, far more so that their Blazing Angles games, which you have forgotten

Universe At War was released on the pc beforehand and likely sold a lot more there.

Check out my game about moles ^

If Condemned was a failure and did not made money why they would have made a sequel?

Around the Network
Seece said:

"It's just the majority of 3rd party games do much better on PS360 than Wii 3rd party games .."

You mean, like Monster Hunter 3? 

Game publishers and studios don't know anything.
Only teh gamerz know all, that's why they are running the studios.

Oh wait.

naznatips said:
Mummelmann said:
What about Haze (0.83, real big budget) and Lair (0.39 mill)?

There are a lot I could have listed, but didn't. Just gave some quick examples to prove a point. Games bomb, it sucks. Move on, don't blame specific consoles for it.

Now make a list showing how quality games do great on HD consoles.

Boneitis said:
naznatips said:
Mummelmann said:
What about Haze (0.83, real big budget) and Lair (0.39 mill)?

There are a lot I could have listed, but didn't. Just gave some quick examples to prove a point. Games bomb, it sucks. Move on, don't blame specific consoles for it.

Now make a list showing how quality games do great on HD consoles.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=37830&region=All

these lists are no different then the wii lists, there is so much gray area when we are talking about bombs. When people make a list of wii bombs they usually include NMH, Conduit, Madworld, and HOTD:overkill as bombs but unless the developer comes out and say it underperformed you can't really say for sure. Most of the time the developer even doesn't come out and say it though.

There are not so many clear cut examples of bombs on HD consoles or wii.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X