By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - COMG! Japan PRE-ORDER Chartz Thread - Will Be Updated Daily!

Tridrakious said:
Mad55 said:
Tridrakious said:

JRPG's had the problem the shooter genre has now. When the market is getting flooded with a certain of game, there will only be a select few titles that really perform well, while 90% of the others won't get much.

Thats what I hated ff can come and perform good and then another good jrpg will come out and no one will buy it its crazy.

I completely agree. Great RPGs got overshadowed because of Final Fantasy, but most were sub-par. Which led to people not moving to far away from the Final Fantasys, Dragon Quests and Tales.

Lol snipped. Yea a lot are subpar and should be avoided though people miss some jewels, but more for us I guess. 

Around the Network

I guess Nintendo increased their first shipment for Animal Crossing?

Love and tolerate.

Animal Crossing could have done more, but stopped at 300 like a boss

Soriku said:
Mad55 said:

Thats what I hated ff can come and perform good and then another good jrpg will come out and no one will buy it its crazy.

Cuz SE actually advertises FF games and puts the games out there. No other publisher does commercials for their JRPGs outside of Japan. If no one knows about it then no one's going to buy it. I think the only JRPGs in recent years that have gotten some very good attention were Persona 4 due to Giant Bomb's Endurance Run and reviews, and then the Operation Rainfall games, but mainly Xenoblade. Neither got commercials but still had a lot of good attention on the Internet and got good reviews to back it up. However those are rare cases. I think NoA should've given Xenoblade some commercials and played off the OP campaign much more. Hopefully NoA sees some more potential with Monolith Soft's Wii U game, but I doubt it...

Lost Odyssey was actually promoted rather efficiently, and that translated into great sales in the US at least.

Around the Network

Mad55 said:
Tridrakious said:
Mad55 said:
Tridrakious said:

JRPG's had the problem the shooter genre has now. When the market is getting flooded with a certain of game, there will only be a select few titles that really perform well, while 90% of the others won't get much.

I completely agree. Great RPGs got overshadowed because of Final Fantasy, but most were sub-par. Which led to people not moving to far away from the Final Fantasys, Dragon Quests and Tales.

Lol snipped. Yea a lot are subpar and should be avoided though people miss some jewels, but more for us I guess. 

Yeah, I cut the quotes down because it was becoming a massive wall of text. But I agree there were some jewels. The PS2 was like the second golden age of RPGs. Radiata Stories, Suikoden, Breath of Fire (although Dragon Quarter wasn't that great to be honest), Arc the Lad, Dark Cloud, Rogue Galaxy, Star Ocean, Shadow Hearts, Summoner and many more.

Salnax said:
I guess Nintendo increased their first shipment for Animal Crossing?

Japanese Animal Crossing 3DS pack met with strong demand

October 24th, 2012 Posted in 3DS, News, Posted by Valay | No Comments »

The Animal Crossing: Jump Out 3DS bundle, announced for Japan several weeks ago, has seen high consumer demand thus far. Nintendo president Satoru Iwata told investors today that retailers have already halted pre-orders. Fortunately, the company is readying more stock, which may mean that pre-orders may open once again in the near future.

“This is a special set containing the Nintendo 3DS XL hardware featuring the download version of “Animal Crossing” (temp.) inside the device. We have had so many pre-orders that some retailers have already stopped accepting them. We are currently arranging for additional production. By making consumers who do not know much about download versions understand their advantages in this way, we will aim to increase the awareness and popularity of them.”

Source

Soriku said:
Mad55 said:

Cuz SE actually advertises FF games and puts the games out there. No other publisher does commercials for their JRPGs outside of Japan. If no one knows about it then no one's going to buy it. I think the only JRPGs in recent years that have gotten some very good attention were Persona 4 due to Giant Bomb's Endurance Run and reviews, and then the Operation Rainfall games, but mainly Xenoblade. Neither got commercials but still had a lot of good attention on the Internet and got good reviews to back it up. However those are rare cases. I think NoA should've given Xenoblade some commercials and played off the OP campaign much more. Hopefully NoA sees some more potential with Monolith Soft's Wii U game, but I doubt it...

I think Monoliths wiiu game will be better advertised than xenoblade, but its hard to say. Also what I mean by my last post is that there seems to be a nice number of jrpg players going by ff sales but it doesn't show for other games in the genre I would thing that a higher majority would just do the looking themselves regardless of commercials and what not. 

Soriku said:
Mad55 said:

I think Monoliths wiiu game will be better advertised than xenoblade, but its hard to say. Also what I mean by my last post is that there seems to be a nice number of jrpg players going by ff sales but it doesn't show for other games in the genre I would thing that a higher majority would just do the looking themselves regardless of commercials and what not. 

Well, I'd assume FF players who play other JRPGs too are pretty spread out. They might have bought some different RPGs, maybe some more notable ones like DQ, KH, or Star Ocean, but not others. That, and there might be a relatively big casual FF base who just buys FF and not much else in the RPG genre. But the reason they'd do that is because they're not given much exposure to other good RPGs. Though this base probably won't buy many JRPGs anyway. And then there's some RPGs that just won't have the appeal that FF (which is basically the Hollywood of JRPGs) has, partly due to lack of exposure, but other factors as well (gameplay? Aesthetics (like anime)? Noticeably lower budget than a game like FF?).

Would also like to add that other genres have eclipsed JRPGs and JRPGs are not as prominent as in the PS1/PS2 days. People might still be buying FF a lot despite this, but most people can afford one big JRPG I guess. Also, people in the West seem to be more receptive to JRPGs on consoles, and most JRPGs are on portables now because of Japanese interests.

Good points especially the casual ff base it makes a lot of sense.