By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - COMG! Japan PRE-ORDER Chartz Thread - Will Be Updated Daily!

Anyone wanna bet that if SE can do it ( meaning: they are not legally obligated by Nintendo) DQX will be the first to go multiplat?

hunter_alien said:  

If it went multi, it'd just go to 3DS.  But it won't, Horii's steering the ship and he seemed pretty adamant it'd be a Wii game.

Besides, if Super Mario can clear 4m on Wii (and likely crawl past 5m), DQ can easily do 3m (and maybe crawl past 4m).  Mainstream games have no problem selling on Wii, unlike PS3 (hello FFXIII).

Around the Network
Boutros said:
jarrod said:
Boutros said:

I don't see how it can sell more than what was shipped lol

If it sells out immediately, it could get a midweek shipment.  I don't expect either to happen, but it's not uncommon for big titles.

Its FW will be 3 days so I don't think they'll have time for a new shipment.

It's four days, and weekend restocks aren't uncommon.  It really all depends on retailers and presales imo, though I doubt it happens.

hunter_alien said:
Immortal said:

Okay, since TLS has 15 days to release, it needs a little over 3 points a day to get to get to 100 points. Surely, it can manage that. Being a Nintendo FP title, a 100-150k opening with that many points isn't out of the question at all.

...and, if it has legs, it can still be a million seller!

Why are you doing this? Its obvious that this gen neither home console can push serious ammounts of JRPGs ( FF and DQ are in a different league of course), and the WIi is far from being the exception here.

At this point I agree with one of the above posters whom predicted 250k. When the hypetrain hit I wasnt ruling out a 600k lifetime shipment in japan. But looking at the preorders, its just a dream.

Anyone wanna bet that if SE can do it ( meaning: they are not legally obligated by Nintendo) DQX will be the first to go multiplat?

I either expect TLS to be a breakout series or I'm just being hopeful. Mainly the latter, :P.

Also, I'd bet against that, definitely. DQ is too popular to fail and when a game tops 1m in Japan, it goes a hell over it on Wii, unlike PS3. Also, SE needs Nintendo to help market DQX in the West, which helped DQIX do very impressive numbers there.

Oh, and it would very backstab-ish of SE to do so after Nintendo helped make DQIX the best selling the series by a soon-to-be wide margin.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

There's pretty much zero chance DQX will wind up on a PlayStation or Xbox system this or next generation.  If there's any question about it's platform, it's only which Nintendo platform it'll be on (Wii, 3DS, Wii 2).

Bruno Muñoz said:
saicho said:

TLS is destined to bomb like DKR before it was released

DKC:R should have been released on PS3.

That doesn't make any sense

DS or PSP. Only handheld games sell in Japan

Why don't you make like a tree and get out of here?

Around the Network
jarrod said:

hunter_alien said:  

If it went multi, it'd just go to 3DS.  But it won't, Horii's steering the ship and he seemed pretty adamant it'd be a Wii game.

Besides, if Super Mario can clear 4m on Wii (and likely crawl past 5m), DQ can easily do 3m (and maybe crawl past 4m).  Mainstream games have no problem selling on Wii, unlike PS3 (hello FFXIII).

Wouldn't you consider Sengoku Basara and Tales of mainstream too? They are smaller, but they are still pretty known among the casual gamer there, or atleast that's what I have read and heard.

FFXIII started pretty well everything considered, but what killed it's legs probably had more to do with it's word of mouth than anything else.

I have said a lot of times that SCEJ needs to do something about there mainstream image, but it still doesn't have a mainstream quality game with the cultural impact of a FFVII or even a NSMB: Wii, so your comparison isn't really fair in my opinion.

Hero_time88 said:
jarrod said:

hunter_alien said:  

Wouldn't you consider Sengoku Basara and Tales of mainstream too? They are smaller, but they are still pretty known among the casual gamer there, or atleast that's what I have read and heard.

FFXIII started pretty well everything considered, but what killed it's legs probably had more to do with it's word of mouth than anything else.

I have said a lot of times that SCEJ needs to do something about there mainstream image, but it still doesn't have a mainstream quality game with the cultural impact of a FFVII or even a NSMB: Wii, so your comparison isn't really fair in my opinion.

Tales and Basara?  No, not even close... "mainstream" games are basically "everybody" games, stuff that clears a million with a single release, not barely sells half a million across a couple systems.  Tales and Basara, while having relatively large audiences for hardcore games, are also pretty much restricted to their hardcore fanbases too (which can grow or shrink).  They're not games people outside the fanbase buys, they have no larger mainstream pull.  Half a million is more what a notable spinoff of truly mainstream franchises might sell (ie: DQ Swords, MonHun Village, Paper Mario, etc) and exceptional spinoffs tend to do much better even (Mario Kart, DQ Monsters, etc).

I agree on PS3's mainstream image problem though, it really is seen as an otaku machine this gen.  Wii isn't, but it's also been rallied hard against (and ultimately rejected) by the core gamer market... if you could combine the good parts about Wii and PS3, and get rid of the negative image problems, you'd basically have the PS2.  And I'd say software isn't entirely to blame on either side, though I'd agree the necessary stuff was probably a bit too slow in coming (and when it finally did, each console's image had been more or less cemented).

FFXIII really started lower though, it's legs were identical to FFXII, and still comparable to FFVIII/IX/X/X-2.  The only mainline installment with significantly better legs was FFVII.

Only 1 point for The Last Story

Hero_time88 said:
jarrod said:

hunter_alien said:  

FFXIII had good word of mouth in Japan. They love the game over there apparently.

4 points for The Last Story, 58 in total