By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Joystiq stealth trolling the Wii, too

I think this is lazy journalism. The thought process is Third Party software not selling is a problem and the Wii (an inanimate object) or nintendo is the cause. Its easy to place blame incorrectly because it requires no thought, investigation, and rational/critical thinking - all things that make a good journalist.

Instead of looking for a band-aid for their news coverage...they should ask things:
"What is nintendo doing that third-parties are not"
"What does the Wii audience really like" HINT not on-rail shooters
"What can/should third parties do to be successful on the wii"

Check out the VGC Crunch this Podcast and Blog at www.tsnetcast.com

Around the Network
LordTheNightKnight said:
"Wii software flew off the shelves, proving that Wii games sell ... as long as they're published by Nintendo."

It's the word "sell". As in simply selling the games. As in they're drawing the conclusion of selling games at all just from that list.

It's not pointing out the flying off the shelves part, because the final part of the sentence would come after that, not the other part.

See what is setting some of us off, stof?

Again, it's not like they are making this up, it's the truth. Stop looking for things that are not there. Nintendo games sell a lot, almaost crazy amount. This might be the most stupidest argument I have ever seen.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

Nintendo games sell because Nintendo has their A teams working on games, 3rd party dont sell because they have their C teams making games for the Wii when are the media going to get that?

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

MonstaMack said:
Well It's true. Look at the best 09 sellers that aren't Nintendo.

1 - Monster Hunter Tri (Only out in Japan so far) - 1 million
2 - Guitar Hero 5 910k
3 - Toy Story Mania 730k
4 - Tiger "RAWR" Woods 730kish
5 -Cabela's Big Game Hunter 2010 - 720k
6- Disney Sing It: Pop Hits 720k
7- Just Dance 690k
8- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare: Reflex Edition 670k
9- Guitar Hero: Metallica 620k
10- Fifa Soccer 10 600k

So outside of Monster Hunter Tri nothing hit for a million in 09 for releases. Though to be fair Tigers Woods 10 outsold It's 360 and PS3 counterparts, as did Guitar Hero 5 and Cabela's Big Game Hunter (by upwards of 600k. That's huge).

You left out

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games
Sega 12 2,747,497 2,747,497
EA Sports Active
EA Sports 33 2,539,442 2,539,442
The Beatles: Rock Band
MTV Games 17 1,234,725 1,234,725

So, 4 titles hit 1m. Not a lot, but hey, Nintendo actually makes good games.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

psrock said:
How do you troll the truth ?

no its not the truth. If it was than most 3rd party games wouldn't sell much.  They said it flys off shelves if they are made by
nintendo. Basicly he is saying only nintendo games can sell. Which is a lie. That's what we are argueing about. Not the fact
that they said titles that were made by nintendo only flew off the shelves. That is a fact.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

Around the Network
killeryoshis said:
psrock said:
How do you troll the truth ?

no its not the truth. If it was than most 3rd party games wouldn't sell much.  They said it flys off shelves if they are made by
nintendo. Basicly he is saying only nintendo games can sell. Which is a lie. That's what we are argueing about. Not the fact
that they said titles that were made by nintendo only flew off the shelves. That is a fact.

He said only Nintendo games fly off the shelves, based on numbers ( facts ), yes it's the truth. I'm sure Nintendo has no problem with the situation. 

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

What are you talking about psrock, Wii sells more third party software than any other console. How is it the truth?

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

No, he wrote "proving that Wii games sell ... as long as they're published by Nintendo."

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

c0rd said:
Naum said:
Why don't we ever see something like this??

PS360 software flew off the shelves, proving that PS360 games sell ... as long as they're published by 3rd parties.

Problem is, that isn't really a bad thing. I'd say a better one would be something like

PS360 software flew off the shelves, proving that PS360 games sell... as long as they're shooters.

It gives the implication that only shooters sell, which I imagine is insulting to the fans of HD consoles. This statement is about as true as Joystiq's.

If you look at the top 10 in the latest NPD, the shooter thing is just as true as the comment about Nintendo. Only one is mentioned.

VGChartz

Another true sentence (at least as true as the one Joystiq wrote):

Wii software is good... as long as it's made by Nintendo.

I suspect they wouldn't write that one as eagerly though.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957