By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Official Dec 2009 NPD Thread (Data for 5 weeks ending Jan 2 in 5 hrs)

Kasz216 said:

Yeah, kinda feels like that... hah.

Just stating though, that there actually is a rule involving such things.   As somebody who really likes science and had a degree that involved stats.  It's really important to me to try and explain statistics even when people don't want to listen.

People often say statistics lie... they don't statistics don't like.  People just misinterpret them because they're generally ignorant about statistics.

I'm sorry if I sound ignorant or stupid, but I still do not understand this statistical tie thing. You obviously do, but I can't quite grasp how PS3 didn't beat 360 this month from the data when it clearly shows it did. ok they are approximations, but there is still a 50K difference.

Since you are this insistent I will ask my friend who's doing statistics in maths as a part of his A-Level.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network
darthdevidem01 said:
Zucas said:
darthdevidem01 said:
psrock said:

ROFLMAO

one of the best gifs ever! lol

PSP sales seem fine TBH, it did almost what PS3 did last year

I'd have to disagree.  In December 2008, PSP did over a million units in the month.  Considering the cirumstances this year, you would have at least thought the drops wouldn't be so large but unfortunately they are quite massive.  Not easy to spin anything good out of that which is why Sony took the easy route and stating increases from November to December. 

hmmm, true. But the system is in its 5th year now (or was) so it had to see a downturn at some point right. By now we know PSP GO didn't do anything for PSP's sales, so I didn't even expect a xmas/dec bump for PSP.

Its just the DS abides no rules, that may make PSP look bad, but isn't it just following normal patterns?

Well true PSP actually is following some normal trends but that's the thing.  It is the only system right now following normal trends.  But yes I would say PSP Go definitely didn't help and DS is just making it look bad. 

BoneyBoy said:
Euphoria14 said:
BoneyBoy said:
Hyruken said:
Simply amazing numbers by Nintendo and PS3 deserves their numbers for sure. They had a load of great games out recently.

I wonder how Microsoft will react to being last in all regions. No wonder we did not hear from them today ;)

So how were the numbers year over year?

Microsoft has profited for 2 straight years with their xbox division.

They are simply trying to make some profit.

Sony and the ps3 has NEVER made 1 yen of profit in 3 years.

Microsoft isn't worried about losing by 50k after sony's huge price cut, huge marketing campaig, and redesigned console.

50k in only 1 region. They are losing by much more than that Worldwide.

Noting how he said "in all regions".

My point stands.  Microsoft has been making profits while the ps3 has lost 5-6 billion dollars.

While the ps3 has gained market share, it is still a money pit. 

Furthermore, even though the xbox 360 is last in all regions, the ps3 has barely gained any ground since it was launched 3 years ago.

The ps3 is in last place by 5 milliom

MS has lost more on the 360 then they have made. Way more. like 3X more.

BoneyBoy said:
Euphoria14 said:
BoneyBoy said:
Hyruken said:
Simply amazing numbers by Nintendo and PS3 deserves their numbers for sure. They had a load of great games out recently.

I wonder how Microsoft will react to being last in all regions. No wonder we did not hear from them today ;)

Microsoft isn't worried about losing by 50k after sony's huge price cut, huge marketing campaig, and redesigned console.

My point stands.  Microsoft has been making profits while the ps3 has lost 5-6 billion dollars.

Furthermore, even though the xbox 360 is last in all regions, the ps3 has barely gained any ground since it was launched 3 years ago.

Your point means nothing in a thread that is not about who makes more money. This point shall always stand.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

darthdevidem01 said:
Kasz216 said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Kasz216 said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Kasz216 said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Kasz216 said:
darthdevidem01 said:
December was a massive success for all companies in 2009. Nintendo managed to move tons of hardware and software, while Sony and Microsoft had a very successful end of the year bang with hardware sales. New Super Mario Bros. Wii was the biggest selling title on Wii in December, with sales likely to stay strong well into 2010.

Wii:3.81M,
PS3, 1.36M
Xbox 360 1.31M

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-12218-Video-Game-Examiner~y2010m1d14-Decemeber-NPD-Report
______

Ps3 BEATS 360 OMGGGGGGG!

Not really.

1.36 vs 1.31 is a statistical tie.

I really wouldn't call it beating it based on how NPD numbers are calculated.

You wouldn't but I would

PS3 BEAT 360!! (by around 50K too)

This was a shocker to me, but less so after the SONY internal reports said 1.35 Million were sold

Well i'll put it this way.

Anyone who knows anything about statistics and the kind of thing NPD does wouldn't say the PS3 beat the 360.

It's well within the margin of error.

As for the Wii numbers... seems unbeleivable to me.

So what?

seriously are you really getting this deep into me just saying "PS3 beat 360" (which no-one was expecting), in pure numbers that did happen, chill out

It didn't though.  Because of the "margin of error."  The PS3 didn't sell 1.36 and the 360 didn't sell 1.31.

The Ps3 sold ~1.36 and the 360 sold ~1.31.

It's a big difference.

It's also not "getting into you."  It's stating a fact for people who don't know much about statistics.

No I will continue to say PS3 beat 360 in december 2009, because it clearly did according to the numbers

you continue saying it was "within margin of error" so they were equal & be happy that you know more about statistics than most other people

It didn't according to the numbers.

The numbers are aproximations.  Numbers that are aproximations or ~ are said to fall within the margin of error with the ~ as an approximate middleground.

Any two ~ that overlap with the margin of error are considered equal.

~1.36 = ~1.31

you can keep going on about statistics, I have made my position clear to you already.

Which is apparently that you want to be willfully ignorant because it means something good for Sony.

Which as a position isn't the strongest one to have.

Around the Network
darthdevidem01 said:
Kasz216 said:

Yeah, kinda feels like that... hah.

Just stating though, that there actually is a rule involving such things.   As somebody who really likes science and had a degree that involved stats.  It's really important to me to try and explain statistics even when people don't want to listen.

People often say statistics lie... they don't statistics don't like.  People just misinterpret them because they're generally ignorant about statistics.

I'm sorry if I sound ignorant or stupid, but I still do not understand this statistical tie thing. You obviously do, but I can't quite grasp how PS3 didn't beat 360 this month from the data when it clearly shows it did. ok they are approximations, but there is still a 50K difference.

Since you are this insistent I will ask my friend who's doing statistics in maths as a part of his A-Level.

By this logic though Microsoft can claim they beat Sony for "holiday 2009", since the holiday shopping season encompasses both November and December. 

Neos said:

XD XD XD

Oh my god at Wii, and i meant it OH MY GOD.

^^^ This is what you get for blowing a rumor out of proportion

Chocobo brain damage!!! Here, drink this diet Coke..*runs*

Currently playing :

VC - Ogre Battle March of the Black Queen
Wii - New Super Mario Bros. Wii
DS - Glory of Heracels

BoneyBoy said:
Euphoria14 said:
BoneyBoy said:
Hyruken said:

LOL... stop trolling. This thread is about NPD sales. Not profits. Its off topic and trolling. Also, barely made any ground? 1.66 million is barely any ground on a cheaoer console?

Steroid said:
BoneyBoy said:
Euphoria14 said:
BoneyBoy said:
Hyruken said:

MS has lost more on the 360 then they have made. Way more. like 3X more.

So what, Microsoft have profited fro 2 straight years.

Sony has lost all of the ps2 profits and nealry all of the ps1 profits on the ps3 alone.

5-6 billion dollars...gone.

The ps3 has lost more money than any console in the history of gaming.

BoneyBoy said:
Euphoria14 said:
BoneyBoy said:
Hyruken said:

wow now that is a big spin, especially in a npd thread. Just curious though, Has MS earned back the loses yet from the original xbox?   And i am asking seriously cause i'm not sure on that answer.