By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Monster Hunter Tri hits a million!

KillerMan said:
irstupid said:
KillerMan said:
irstupid said:
KillerMan said:
Stefan.De.Machtige said:
gustave154 said:
Yes it is a 'flop' when compared to its portable cousins.

You know very wel that it outsold the PS2 - previous console version.

Capcom planned 2 million sales for it. A million in Japan only is a great start.

PS2 games came before the series popularity exploded with portable games. Not fair comparison. Still pretty good sales. Over one million in japan on home console is always great achievement.

funny how depending on how people want to see it flop or not they allow comparisons.  if you want gta china for ds to be a flop compare it to ps2 gta's.  if you want it to be a success then just look at sales.  if you want monster hunter to be a sucess, look at sales, or at previous console versions sales.  if you want it to be a flop, look at handhelds sales. 

whatever makes you people happy eh.

I didn't say that it is a flop. I just pointed out that comparing it to previous PS2 versions is not fair. And yes it is true that it is not fair either to compare 2D GTA to 3D GTA. I just wonder why they bothered with chinatown in the first place when they just could have released new 3D stories game to PSP ( and maybe port it later to the Wii) and sell at least 3milj.

its a better comparison to compare it to the console version.  both are on consoles and both are pay for online play.  the handheld version isn't on a console (huh no brainer) and is also a free to play online game.  Totally different, its like comparing ff11's sales to other final fantasies. 

The point is that latest PS2 MH game was released when series was not as popular as it is now. When MH2 was released on PS2 first PSP MH had broke barely a million. MH3 for Wii was released after third MH on PSP which is already over 3.5milj in Japan alone. You are right that comparing MH3 sales to PSP versions is not fair but comparing MH3 to MH2 is not fair either because popularity of series has exploded since PS2 games.

You're in over your head on this one as various MH games where released on PS2 after the handheld games took off, in fact the handheld games are ports of them which nulls your point tbh. It's also a fair comparison as people have mentioned they're both console games and pay to play which I'm willing to bet if the PSP games where pay to play it'd hit their sales in some form we also have Monster Hunter Frontier which was released after the series popularity boomed as well and is still going today for Japanese PC owners and pay to play and Tri has even outsold that easily.

Around the Network

Logic dictates, over 9M Wii's are sold in japan, japan loves MH games, and the sales total is 1M?

...thats... not very... good...

Seraphic_Sixaxis said:
Logic dictates, over 9M Wii's are sold in japan, japan loves MH games, and the sales total is 1M?

Majin-Tenshinhan said:
Seraphic_Sixaxis said:

Hey, its not bad, but not good, more like... expected?

Seraphic_Sixaxis said:

A 10%+ attach rate with subscription based online isn't good?

"Now, a fun game should always be easy to understand - you should be able to take one look at it and know what you have to do straight away. It should be so well constructed that you can tell at a glance what your goal is and, even if you don’t succeed, you’ll blame yourself rather than the game. Moreover, the people standing around watching the game have also got to be able to enjoy it." - Shiggy

A Koopa's Revenge II gameplay video

Around the Network
burgerstein said:
Seraphic_Sixaxis said:

A 10%+ attach rate with subscription based online isn't good?

Asking for my opinion?

if so, then no, it isn't, but its not bad, just not good to.

as i said above, its more... to be expected from such a hit franchise, no?

Seraphic_Sixaxis said:

Asking for my opinion?

In that case then a tonne of games that are usually regarded as successful in Japan (and from hit franchises) on PS2, were 'not good'. World Soccer Winning Eleven, Kingdom Hearts 2, Metal Gear Solid 2, etc.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Seraphic_Sixaxis said:
Majin-Tenshinhan said:
Seraphic_Sixaxis said:

Hey, its not bad, but not good, more like... expected?

I was under the impression that you were saying it was bad.

But yes, you are absolutely right - It's pretty much 100% expected.

very cool, well done .

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

Demotruk said:
Seraphic_Sixaxis said:

Asking for my opinion?

In that case then a tonne of games that are usually regarded as successful in Japan (and from hit franchises) on PS2, were 'not good'. World Soccer Winning Eleven, Kingdom Hearts 2, Metal Gear Solid 2, etc.

Yes, thats exactly what i meant, none of those games did good, they did what was expected of there respective franchises.

@Majin- Sorry, now that i look back at it, i really should have worded that differntly, but im sleepy and tired so forgive me lol. been trying to sign up with neogaf and its not working so blame the neos! i'll edit it later on to avoid futher confusion.