By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Monster Hunter Tri hits a million!

Seraphic_Sixaxis said:
Demotruk said:
Seraphic_Sixaxis said:

Asking for my opinion?

if so, then no, it isn't, but its not bad, just not good to.

as i said above, its more... to be expected from such a hit franchise, no?

In that case then a tonne of games that are usually regarded as successful in Japan (and from hit franchises) on PS2, were 'not good'. World Soccer Winning Eleven, Kingdom Hearts 2, Metal Gear Solid 2, etc.

Yes, thats exactly what i meant, none of those games did good, they did what was expected of there respective franchises.

@Majin- Sorry, now that i look back at it, i really should have worded that differntly, but im sleepy and tired so forgive me lol. been trying to sign up with neogaf and its not working so blame the neos! i'll edit it later on to avoid futher confusion.

By this standard a game pretty much has to be a mega-hit in Japan just to be 'good'. Come on, all those games I listed did more than 'good', they were fantastic hits for their respective companies. Now, maybe if they had gigantic development costs they wouldn't be so 'good', but that's not the case.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Around the Network
Seraphic_Sixaxis said:
Demotruk said:
Seraphic_Sixaxis said:

Asking for my opinion?

if so, then no, it isn't, but its not bad, just not good to.

as i said above, its more... to be expected from such a hit franchise, no?

In that case then a tonne of games that are usually regarded as successful in Japan (and from hit franchises) on PS2, were 'not good'. World Soccer Winning Eleven, Kingdom Hearts 2, Metal Gear Solid 2, etc.

Yes, thats exactly what i meant, none of those games did good, they did what was expected of there respective franchises.

@Majin- Sorry, now that i look back at it, i really should have worded that differntly, but im sleepy and tired so forgive me lol. been trying to sign up with neogaf and its not working so blame the neos! i'll edit it later on to avoid futher confusion.

If a game has met expecations, that means it's done good. MH3 definitely has made Capcom a lot of money.

Well maybe to you guys, but i scale things by bad, not good, okay, expected, good, very good, great, grand, masterful and perfect, almost nothin reachs perfect except ioi and bett for PC.

Seraphic_Sixaxis said:
Logic dictates, over 9M Wii's are sold in japan, japan loves MH games, and the sales total is 1M?

...thats... not very... good...

Prevouis Monster Hunters were free to play online.

This one is pay to play and on a system with a somewhat smaller install base (9 mil vs 13 mil).

I'd say it's doing fantastic.

Seraphic, so basically every game for PS3 in Japan is a bomb except maybe FF which is a minor bomb?

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Around the Network

It was only less than the portable versions because portable games in Japan are selling 5x than console games (or any system, including Wii). A Million seller in Japan on Wii is still amazing. Hopefully when it comes out here, it'll be advertised so it'll actually do good here as well.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Kenryoku_Maxis said:
It was only less than the portable versions because portable games in Japan are selling 5x than console games (or any system, including Wii). A Million seller in Japan on Wii is still amazing. Hopefully when it comes out here, it'll be advertised so it'll actually do good here as well.

It's actually almost matched with MHP1 (1.1m), and that's counting the original (650k), BEST (300k) and BEST reprint (150k) releases together.   MH3 hasn't even had a budget rerelease yet, when it does it may even match MHP2's 1.7m.   That'd put it about in line with the MH2/MHP ratio from 2005.

Soriku said:
jarrod said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:

It's actually almost matched with MHP1 (1.1m), and that's counting the original (650k), BEST (300k) and BEST reprint (150k) releases together.   MH3 hasn't even had a budget rerelease yet, when it does it may even match MHP2's 1.7m.   That'd put it about in line with the MH2/MHP ratio from 2005.

Hmm, I wonder whne they'll release a best version. Could a best version push it to 1.4m+?

I'm not sure if they'll do a "Best Price" release or just skip ahead to MH3G.  I personally think they should do a BP release alongside the western launch in April (adding in all the new content and maybe even dropping subscription fees), then do MH3G in the fall/winter.  If they did that, I think the Best version alone could manage 800-1m, bringing MH3's total to 1.8-2m Japan.