By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Better Value? Sony's PlayStation 3 or Microsoft's Elite 360

Kamahl said:Hmm... no. Sony doesn't use P2P... If it was P2P the 40 player deathmatch on Resistance would be laggy, it isn't.
Thats becase Insomniac provides dedicated servers for Resistance. With Sony's model they leave it up to the developer to provide the backend for online. Some will shell out the cash for dedicated servers, but they could yank support anytime they want like MGS3:S, while other developers are opting for a P2P system because it results in lower cost for them. At it's core, Sony provides very little services for online gaming, either to developers or gamers. This is why many multiplatform games support online for the 360 but not the PS3. If Sony had an efficient system of dedicated servers that devs could host their games off of, this wouldn't be the case.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Around the Network

sieanr said: I contend that the value of a console is determined by the games available for said console. In this case the 360 wins, hands down EDIT: Just so no one gets confused, this is 360 winning for the time being.
Time being? A month more, perhaps? Most of the top rated games for 360 have either already been on PS2, are now already on the PS3, or will be on the PS3 within a month. These include Elder Scrolls, Guitar Hero 2, Ninja Gaiden, Advanced Warfighter 2, Symphony of the Night, Burnout, Call of Duty, Splinter Cell, Homecourt, Fight Night, NBA 2K7, F.E.A.R., etc. I'm sure some of the PS2 games are improved on the 360, but that is evened out by some of the later releases on PS3 that are improved. That leaves Gears of War, Blue Dragon, Dead Rising, Viva Pinata, and Halo 1&2, and others that people prefer. I chose some of the highest rated. Those are countered by Resistance, Motorstorm, Lair, VF5, Tekken 5, MLB 07, and the Home beta next month. Including more backwards compatible games would obviously favor the PS3 (I hope there isn't a debate here...ugh). I'd say the exclusives there favor the 360 right now, depending on your tastes. I've love to play Viva Pinata because I like original games, and Blue Dragon because I like RPGs. Motorstorm shows off the PS3 and Lair will hopefully show off the Six-Axis controller while having a great game around dragons. Considering all the ported games, though, there is plenty to play now and within a month on the PS3. I'm losing my social life right now to Elder Scrolls: Oblivion because I never played it on the PC or 360. I'd say the games is about tastes, but it is not a "hands down" situation to me. EDIT: okay, my bad, Lair is May 7th. So I cheated a week.

I'd thought I would throw something else into the fire here, with regards to 'Value'. It appears you can buy a 160GB Hard Drive for the PS3 now...along with other stuff. So does that make the 'Elite' more pointless now, along with the idea of buying a bigger hard drive than the 20GB prem.? Source I'd say that's a good price for a Hard Drive... If you're a bit mental on downloading stuff.

Good to see this site is still going 

windbane said: sieanr said: I contend that the value of a console is determined by the games available for said console. In this case the 360 wins, hands down EDIT: Just so no one gets confused, this is 360 winning for the time being. Time being? A month more, perhaps? Most of the top rated games for 360 have either already been on PS2, are now already on the PS3, or will be on the PS3 within a month. These include Elder Scrolls, Guitar Hero 2, Ninja Gaiden, Advanced Warfighter 2, Symphony of the Night, Burnout, Call of Duty, Splinter Cell, Homecourt, Fight Night, NBA 2K7, F.E.A.R., etc. I'm sure some of the PS2 games are improved on the 360, but that is evened out by some of the later releases on PS3 that are improved. That leaves Gears of War, Blue Dragon, Dead Rising, Viva Pinata, and Halo 1&2, and others that people prefer. I chose some of the highest rated. Those are countered by Resistance, Motorstorm, Lair, VF5, Tekken 5, MLB 07, and the Home beta next month. Including more backwards compatible games would obviously favor the PS3 (I hope there isn't a debate here...ugh). I'd say the exclusives there favor the 360 right now, depending on your tastes. I've love to play Viva Pinata because I like original games, and Blue Dragon because I like RPGs. Motorstorm shows off the PS3 and Lair will hopefully show off the Six-Axis controller while having a great game around dragons. Considering all the ported games, though, there is plenty to play now and within a month on the PS3. I'm losing my social life right now to Elder Scrolls: Oblivion because I never played it on the PC or 360. I'd say the games is about tastes, but it is not a "hands down" situation to me. EDIT: okay, my bad, Lair is May 7th. So I cheated a week.
What you aren't factoring in is the upcoming 360 releases over the same time period, which by all accounts is a strong lineup. May - Forza 2 June - Shadowrun July - Mass Effect August - Blue Dragon August - Bioshock September - Halo 3 November - Project Gotham Racing 4 December - Lost Odyssey All of these games will not be on the PS3 never, although PC is another issue. The way I look at it is most of the upcoming games for PS3 have already been on the 360 for months. Although the PS3 incarnation may be slightly improved, it's a double edged sword since games like Virtua Tennis support online multi-player on the 360 but not the PS3. Of course you can debate the cost of live as a trade off to this extra online support with the 360. But as you stated the PS3 has some exciting things coming up in the next few months. However, during the same time frame the 360 also has plenty of exciting titles being released, not to mention a larger number of exclusives. Whether or not these games will be better than the likes of Liar is debatable, just as the quality of the PS3 titles is all subjective. Really this just comes down to personal preference, and the 360 is looking to be my favored console this year. While I'm certain I'll enjoy Lair and Motorstorm (once I pick it up), I'm really looking forward to Forza, Mass Effect, Bioshock and Halo 3. I agree with you that the 360 has an edge with exclusives right now, but I disagree that it'll lose this anytime soon.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

sieanr said: Really this just comes down to personal preference, and the 360 is looking to be my favored console this year. While I'm certain I'll enjoy Lair and Motorstorm (once I pick it up), I'm really looking forward to Forza, Mass Effect, Bioshock and Halo 3. I agree with you that the 360 has an edge with exclusives right now, but I disagree that it'll lose this anytime soon.
It's always good to see people who have similar opinions that I have. Granted only 2 of those 360 titles you mentioned spark any interest to me, I will agree with you that it is a matter of personal preference but I will disagree with your opinion about exclusives and edges. I can go list the PS3 exclusives but I am lazy and this wastes space. My point is that "I" am excited about many of the PS3 exclusives and so "I" would fell that they have an edge..... see where I am going with this? So it really doesn't matter about exclusives and who loses what (because most of the appealing exclusives for both systems are first party) it is more about taste. Example... Shadowrun and bioshock really hyped... means nothing to me or most of my friends (pretty water graphics though) but if most likely it will be appealing to most 360 owners bacause they seem to fall in several brackets, online is highest feature in game (it doesn't matter if the game sucks), Shooters are loved ( bioshock, shadowrun, mass effect look like shooters with RPG twists), and a western developer taste is regaurded. List exclusives and one side will not see the situation the same as the other side. Sad part about this is that this doesn't only apply to the "console wars" And dedicated servers are said to be the norm with Home.

Games make me happy! PSN ID: Staticneuron Gamertag: Staticneuron Wii Code: Static Wii - 3055 0871 5802 1723

Around the Network

sieanr said: windbane said: sieanr said: What you aren't factoring in is the upcoming 360 releases over the same time period, which by all accounts is a strong lineup. May - Forza 2 June - Shadowrun July - Mass Effect August - Blue Dragon August - Bioshock September - Halo 3 November - Project Gotham Racing 4 December - Lost Odyssey All of these games will not be on the PS3 never, although PC is another issue. The way I look at it is most of the upcoming games for PS3 have already been on the 360 for months. Although the PS3 incarnation may be slightly improved, it's a double edged sword since games like Virtua Tennis support online multi-player on the 360 but not the PS3. Of course you can debate the cost of live as a trade off to this extra online support with the 360. But as you stated the PS3 has some exciting things coming up in the next few months. However, during the same time frame the 360 also has plenty of exciting titles being released, not to mention a larger number of exclusives. Whether or not these games will be better than the likes of Liar is debatable, just as the quality of the PS3 titles is all subjective. Really this just comes down to personal preference, and the 360 is looking to be my favored console this year. While I'm certain I'll enjoy Lair and Motorstorm (once I pick it up), I'm really looking forward to Forza, Mass Effect, Bioshock and Halo 3. I agree with you that the 360 has an edge with exclusives right now, but I disagree that it'll lose this anytime soon.
Because its not the same time period.. he was talking about games that are out now or come out in the next 2 months.. you named games all the way to december.. he could have done that too and had an even bigger list if he wanted

THe oNLY TRue STuPiDiTY iS THe aCCePTaNCe oF iGNoRaNCe 

PSNTAG K_I_N_G__COKE

The King Of The Iron Fist tournament

sieanr said:What you aren't factoring in is the upcoming 360 releases over the same time period, which by all accounts is a strong lineup. May - Forza 2 June - Shadowrun July - Mass Effect August - Blue Dragon August - Bioshock September - Halo 3 November - Project Gotham Racing 4 December - Lost Odyssey
Uh, I'm not sure why you included games that will be released after May 7th because that is the farthest I looked ahead. I was defending the PS3 lineup as of now and a month (and a week I cheated as mentioned) from now. There are plenty of PS3 games that will be released before the end of the year, and those lists are out there. If you'd like to compare those further, we can do that, but I think you missed my point. You added Forza 2. That's it. And Lair is coming out the beginning of May if you want to get picky. Even from your list, I DID factor in the same time period because I factored in what is out now and what will be out within a month. So you are the one that did not consider the same time period. Care to share what will come out on the PS3? Surely you don't mean to suggest nothing is going to be released from now until then? *sigh*

Bonafide732 said:Because its not the same time period.. he was talking about games that are out now or come out in the next 2 months.. you named games all the way to december.. he could have done that too and had an even bigger list if he wanted
Oops, thank you for clarifying for me. I responded rashly before I read your response, heh. Indeed, I was just comparing now and within 5 weeks.

windbane said: Bonafide732 said:Because its not the same time period.. he was talking about games that are out now or come out in the next 2 months.. you named games all the way to december.. he could have done that too and had an even bigger list if he wanted Oops, thank you for clarifying for me. I responded rashly before I read your response, heh. Indeed, I was just comparing now and within 5 weeks.
Your saying that the PS3 has a bigger and better library then the 360 as of now? Bigger? nope Better? People will argue both sides, but the 360 has more exclusives, also has the 2006 Game of the Year Gears of War. You mention Lair is coming out in 5 weeks... Forza is coming out in 5 weeks.. then Shadowrun in 4 weeks after that, then Mass Effect 5 weeks after that... then Blue Dragon 5 weeks after that.. and so on and so on and so on for the rest of the freakin year!!! What the hell does PS3 have after Lair? When does that come out? and after that? 2007 is loaded with 360 games that are going to please every hardcore player! So you say your only comparing now to 5 weeks, well thats just stupid.

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

gebx said: windbane said: Bonafide732 said:Because its not the same time period.. he was talking about games that are out now or come out in the next 2 months.. you named games all the way to december.. he could have done that too and had an even bigger list if he wanted Oops, thank you for clarifying for me. I responded rashly before I read your response, heh. Indeed, I was just comparing now and within 5 weeks. Your saying that the PS3 has a bigger and better library then the 360 as of now? Bigger? nope Better? People will argue both sides, but the 360 has more exclusives, also has the 2006 Game of the Year Gears of War. You mention Lair is coming out in 5 weeks... Forza is coming out in 5 weeks.. then Shadowrun in 4 weeks after that, then Mass Effect 5 weeks after that... then Blue Dragon 5 weeks after that.. and so on and so on and so on for the rest of the freakin year!!! What the hell does PS3 have after Lair? When does that come out? and after that? 2007 is loaded with 360 games that are going to please every hardcore player! So you say your only comparing now to 5 weeks, well thats just stupid.
you should have read his first comment he basically agreed with you and said almost the same thing you just said.. he wasnt talkin about anything after lair even though there is...he was talkin about somethin else when he said that lol why do i keep clarifying your comments for other people

THe oNLY TRue STuPiDiTY iS THe aCCePTaNCe oF iGNoRaNCe 

PSNTAG K_I_N_G__COKE

The King Of The Iron Fist tournament