By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Better Value? Sony's PlayStation 3 or Microsoft's Elite 360

Soulxxx said: I think the fact that Gamespot doesn't say anything is enough... thank you. And Live is laggy because many people said so... If you'd show me the same amount of people saying that about Sony I'd change my mind. Can you do that?
Sure, I bet that you can find more people complaining about Live. I would say at least 3 to 9 times more people. Now anyone can guess why that is...

Around the Network

MikeB said: Heh, I was just replying to an article and commented on why I thought this was a weak comparison.
A lot of the points are weak, dont just bring up the xbox ones, but it is just a comparison to give an unbias'd view on everything possible, its goddam obvious you dont need the stuff.
MikeB said: No, I did not slam this, although it seems more expensively options were picked and it's worth mentioning that for instance a headset, keyboard, mouse, bigger harddrive, etc you buy for the PS3 can be used with other mainstream devices as well.
Using your argument, I can use the xbox's wireless addon on my computer!! haX! I never would, but I could! Further, people, like me who buy stuff for certain items, generally use it for that product, IE: if i have a keyboard for my PC, i will use it for my pc, not drag it to my ps3 when i want to use it. Headset, maybe, but again, I would generally leave it with my ps3, as otherwise it will end up in my car and i wont know where it is!. Note: I dont own a ps3 or xbox.
MikeB said: No doubt Live is the XBox 360's strong point, but I am looking forward to Home and it will be free for the PS3!
Valid, home looks rad, and to be honest if that hadn't come, I would have probably liked the new Xbox (so for clarification again, I think its overpriced, and may help them loose this console war). Also, earlier on you mentioned that you had to re-subscribe. Most people who I know who have live are happier paying for online service that is good, to them its like they are paying for a game every year, that is always reliable. Further to anyone who thinks Wireless and Free Online games is a huge advantage. Get off your high horse, I cant think of any game I or any "hardcore" gamer would want to play wireless.

@ Isamu

A lot of the points are weak, dont just bring up the xbox ones, but it is just a comparison to give an unbias'd view on everything possible, its goddam obvious you dont need the stuff.
I would say most people don't even need a gaming/multimedia system at all.
Using your argument, I can use the xbox's wireless addon on my computer!! haX! I never would, but I could! Further, people, like me who buy stuff for certain items, generally use it for that product, IE: if i have a keyboard for my PC, i will use it for my pc, not drag it to my ps3 when i want to use it. Headset, maybe, but again, I would generally leave it with my ps3, as otherwise it will end up in my car and i wont know where it is!.
My point was that you may already own a keyboard or a headset anyhow. If you upgrade the harddrive you can use the older one for some other purpose and things like that. With regard to the PS3 there are many 3rd party options to choose from, ranging from cheap to expensive.
Note: I dont own a ps3 or xbox.
Note that I have both (PS3 Premium and XBox 360 Premium) standing here. From my perspective the comparison article was pretty weak. I personally like the PS3 package far better, the system seems more geared towards the future to me, the PS3 only needs some additional games to suit an even larger audience, but having said that Resistance: Fall of Man (/online), Motorstorm (/onlne) and Lemmings offer me more than enough entertainment to wait with anticipation for games like Lair, Heavenly Sword, Killzone and Ninja Gaiden Sigma for the near future. I can't play all games simultaneously anyhow.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Isamu said: Further to anyone who thinks Wireless and Free Online games is a huge advantage. Get off your high horse, I cant think of any game I or any "hardcore" gamer would want to play wireless.
Uhh...I wouldn't seek out playing wirelessly online but I did try it and with 40 people per game in resistance I still did not notice any lag (the word "still" indicating that the majority of the time the network does not lag). Being able to move the PS3 to another room (bedroom or living room depending on which it's in to begin with) is a nice feature. Also, it enables a wireless link with the PSP, even though at some point the wireless connectivity from the PSP to PS3 from any location will be enabled. As for free online games...how is that NOT a huge advantage? I've been playing online games on my PC for many years and it has always been free. Steam is free for HL2 and counterstrike. Battle.net for all blizzard games is free (MMO WOW being the exception, but I haven't played that and I assume it's not on battle.net, but regardless all the other games are free). In fact, besides MMOs, ALL PC ONLINE GAMES ARE FREE. Fascinating, isn't it? I assume all EA games on the PS3 will have online, motorstorm and ridge racer 7 have 12-player online, resistance has 40-player online. I hardly notice lag ever. Other games will be compared to those and I'm sure will also offer online play. Free online games is the main reason the PS3 is cheaper because out of all the optional features between the 2 systems -- hd movies, 1080p cables, large hard drives, wireless connectivity, card readers (which btw I hope to transfer PS1 game saves from my PSP to PS3 with and back to PSP to switch between home TV and portable gaming with the same game...someone let me know if they have already tried it) -- online gaming is clearly the most important of them all. Having a $50 a year cheaper option is clearly superior. That's not even counting Home. Many more people would play MMOs, myself included, if there was not a monthly fee. I can play, say, 10 games a month currently with an online rental plan for the same price that it costs to play just 1 MMO. There are plenty of MMOs I'd like to try but I'd have to limit myself to 1 a month knowing that the costs would add up. Imagine an MMO on the 360! Live and MMO cost! Ugh.

In the UK, it is clearly the PS3 that is the best option, even when compared to the premium Xbox 360: £270 +£130 HD-DVD drive +£35 12 month gold membership +£15 play and charge kit +£55 wireless bridge +£x for extra power and extra 40GB =£505 PS3:£425 +£12 HDMI cable (the cheapest) =£427 Look what a bargain PS3 is!!! Anyway, the "Elite" will probably cost about £325, so when you add the extra £235, you can se what a bargain the PS3 is

add me

Around the Network

When it comes to features the PS3 is a better value than the Elite. I have said it before and I'll say it again. MS is charging an extra $80 because they know people will run out and buy it. Last fall it cost MS $323 to manufacture a premium 360. For the $480 they are charging for the Elite, it could include the HDMI port, wifi, larger HDD, and an internal HD-DVD drive and they still would be able to turn a small profit. As it is now, MS is just increasing their profit margin. The Elite probably cost MS $330 to $340 to manufacture? Since the Elite seems to be targeted at the consumer that would be intrigued by all of the PS3's extra features ,they should have included all of the features I listed above.

PS3 is a better value but people who don't have the money all at once will buy a 360 why? It's like layaway, they can buy it bit by bit, I didn't wait a next-gen dvd player that's the only reason I bought a 360 first because when I get ready to get to get a HD-DVD player it will only be 200 vs me having to spend 600 at once. Now before someone says it, I don't care about online feature so none of that matters to me, as a matter of fact I've been online on my Wii more than I have on the 360. (VC games)

Asking which is a better value; the Xbox 360 or the PS3 is like asking which is a better value, a Ferrari or a Lamborghini. Most of the people who are buying these high end systems don't care about value. That said. I have a 360 that is out for repairs. If I get it back and I still have problems, I'm going to get rid of it and buy an Elite. If it works, I may just buy a Blue Ray player, that also plays PS3 games.

I understand your point Alacrist and its a position I agree with on the Premium 360 model. The Elite is another animal. The Elite targets the high end market like the PS3 but it lacks an equivalent feature set. Given how much it cost the MS to produce the Elite, it should not be $480. If they want to charge $480 thats fine but it should be able to at least go feature for feature with the $500 PS3. The Elite Package should contain: X-Box 360 (Black) 120GB HDD Internal HD-DVD drive Wireless Controller/w rechargeable batter pack (Black) Play in Charge Kit (Black) HDMI port HDMI Cable Component/AV Combo cable Wifi* *If they wanted to go for the jugular, i.e. go after the $600 PS3 while being priced lower.

Who cares?!?!?! I'm an xbox fan and I hate sony, but what I love is playing great games... right now the 360 is the best because of the games, most probably in the future I'll buy a PS3 just to play Ninja Gaiden.