By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - My theory on why Nintendo is so dominant in software sales

jarrod said:
Fuck. I remember when we called people who played mostly stuff like GTA, Madden or console fps "casual gamers". Hardcore being hijacked is the worst thing about this gen, to me a "hardcore gamer" is still someone who spends all their time tinkering with Source mods or who imported a J-360 for Cave shooters.

Agreed 100%, the distinction is worthless at this point. Maybe it should be casual/mainstream/hardcore

I think one thing OP is forgetting as far as Nintendo's success is how excellent the quality is. Nintendo, Valve, Blizzard, and I can't think of any other developers who actually work on a game until it is perfect and done and have insanely high standards.  In fact, Miyamoto is known for totally scrapping games and starting over from square 1 if it doesn't meet his quality standards.  In all 3 cases, the quality and control of their games are so far above everyone else's it should be a no brainer as to why they all sell so well.

Around the Network

Nintendo is pratically the only one publishing quality games to a large audience (casuals), that's why.

Let's copy nintendo yihaa. Copy dpad, controllers, famicom, sports game, motion control.... /sarcasm

Killy_Vorkosigan said:
Let's copy nintendo yihaa. Copy dpad, controllers, famicom, sports game, motion control.... /sarcasm

even when everybody copies nintendo, they still don't get it right :b

come try out the computer game i've been working on for my high school senior project, titled sling ball. http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=76669&page=1

you can view a few screenshots from the game in my photo album here; http://www.vgchartz.com/photos/album.php?album=2312

yes, this is vonboy's alt account. i can't log into my original account, and i'm not sure if i will ever be able to.

Proud Member of the Official Yoshi Fan Club!.

Exactly. I gotta agree 100% with you.

Nintendo is (as much as I hate them now and used to be a HUGE fan) winning in all catagories but 1. And that is, there not gaining hardcore fans.

Around the Network
SNOOB3R said:

Exactly. I gotta agree 100% with you.

Nintendo is (as much as I hate them now and used to be a HUGE fan) winning in all catagories but 1. And that is, there not gaining hardcore fans.

LOL. Yeah and lord knows they need these fans. Although what exactly is a hardcore fan? If you don't mind indulging me.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Grimes said:
Imagine if 90% of the movie industry was focused on making action/scifi movies. That's essentially what exists in the video game industry.

This has already been quoted multiple times, but it deserves another.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Grimes said:
Imagine if 90% of the movie industry was focused on making action/scifi movies. That's essentially what exists in the video game industry.

not the best analogy, only have to look at the top 50 grossing movies of all time to see how many action/scifi movies make the most money, seems to me the big hitters on wii are family/friend orientated, not a bad thing though, its obviously working.

Xxain said:
OoSnap said:
Xxain said:
Nintendo attracts a MUCH broader audience with there titles ... why are we actin like its rocket science?

It's not just that they attract a much broader audience, they are successful because they are only major publisher doing so as their focus - they have no heavy competition in that area. Their top teams are making such games as opposed to other publishers its their 2nd or 3rd rate developer teams making such games.

Yep SONY& MS first priority is core... while Nintendo is the expanded..yep old news too! this isnt a new theory.... hell it isnt theory...its fact.. a already known one.

And yes part of it is expanded but they also extend an invitation to gamers who have left the scene these were core gamers.

Core gamers is so lame.

It helps that nintendo has very little third party competition on the wii. People buy the system for wii sports, wii fit, etc. and ignore what few quality third party games there are.

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype