By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Should Zelda Wii be alot more action-involved than previous installments?

Should Zelda Wii be alot more action-involved than previous installments?

Yes, to take advantage of... 82 62.60%

No, keep it the same. 17 12.98%

I want less focus on action. Give me puzzles! 17 12.98%

I don't mind either way. 7 5.34%

I'm just in this for the chick 4 3.05%

I don't like this guy. He's no mudkip. 4 3.05%

Total:131

i'm fine how it is, puzzle/enemy # wise.

now i would love MORE different types of enemies, and have more that have defense actually. you know like the huge knights that you can only hit in the back until you knock off so much armor, or even the lizards who you have to attack right before they hit you. stuff like that, were you do attack combos to hurt enemies. i am annoyed by most of the easy fights where you just slash and it hits them all the time. they have no defense, and basically hitting them does the same damage no matter where you hit them

Around the Network
Roar_Of_War said:
Sempuukyaku said:
Roar_Of_War said:
ultima said:
Roar_Of_War said:

Sadly, I don't think Zelda will ever be anything other than what Miyamoto wants it to be...

And that's a bad thing how?

In my opinion. Most people disagree with some directions Zelda has taken, and what kind of flaws the series has obtained because of it. Then fans think of ways to fix them, but they never seem to be implemented. Miyamoto obviously doesn't see them as flaws, but he thought no online for New Super Mario Bros. Wii was a good idea, too - When it could have sold so much better for solely that, and could have been the biggest hit since Donkey Kong.

Um....except Aonuma has overseen the Zelda series since Majora's Mask, not Miyamoto. The more action-oriented Zelda's beforehand (SNES and NES) were Miyamoto's Zeldas.

Except that Miyamoto is still working with Aonuma, and Miyamoto's influence still determines how the game is when it releases. He always has the power to change anything he thinks is wrong or lacking.

^^ that's nice to hear n_n

that and the comment Reggie made earlier is really comforting that Nintendo are trying to deliver the goods with Zelda Wii

miz1q2w3e said:
Helios said:
Roar_Of_War said:
In my opinion. Most people disagree with some directions Zelda has taken, and what kind of flaws the series has obtained because of it. Then fans think of ways to fix them, but they never seem to be implemented. Miyamoto obviously doesn't see them as flaws, but he thought no online for New Super Mario Bros. Wii was a good idea, too - When it could have sold so much better for solely that, and could have been the biggest hit since Donkey Kong.

It could have, but likely would not. Or what, did you actually have some kind of basis for that claim?

Also, it is thus far the fastest selling Mario game in history, and will no doubt surpass Donkey Kong with or without online.

As for Zelda, should it be "alot" of anything? I'm just glad none of the people online have any say in what goes into the next title in any Nintendo franchise.

^^ you and burgerstein should make the next Zelda lol

guaranteed masterpiece^1000 CONFIRMED!

ps: /jk

hahahahahaha :P good one

I would alos like to ad some more ideas from Fable and Assassins Creed (If you havent allready discovered these are my most favoured game series) Instead of link following the typical discovery of new weapons he should be able to disarm enemies, or pick up a dead enemies weapon and use it to kill other enemies and then keep the weapons for re-sale or to re-use. A real adventurer could walk into any weapons shop and have at least 30 odd weapons for his choosing. Not just 3 or so swords, and a bow. Link should have that same option. The player should be able to buy weapons with advantages and disadvantages that suit their combat style. I've allways found the few items available in the shops to be a little weak. I completly understand that it focuses the game, but a little user customisation of link would be great.

Also I like the way in Fable when you die you get scars that stay with you for the rest of the game, link should have this same atribute. Also instead of always beeing a kid, or an adult, or what ever link could grow a little while players are playing. I love it when a character evolves over the course of a game and at the end looks totaly different but to you they look very similar. then you go back and start the game again and realise how much your character had grown. Like looking at baby photos.

I find all these advancements we've been talking about will bring Zelda out of the teen market, because lets face it the game is simple and it hand feeds you alot, as if you were a noob. It would be nicer to have a Zelda game that pushes a gamers gaming ability. A ture mature zelda, for the harder core gamers, not a zelda for the casual gamer or the beginner gamer.

If at first you don't succeed, you fail

its not a bad thing to take ideas from these other games. Nintendo need to focus zelda I think. The focused a version of zelda with cell shading, but they need to focus the next non cell shaded zelda in a way that lets us know exactly what nintendo want zelda to be. At the moment there are many other distinctive series out there. The 3 I play are elder scrolls, assassins creed and fable. Each are very different but they do overlap in alot of areas. At the moment every element of zelda is suck in the last gen. It has its own distinctive elements but these are just simpler versions of the elements found in these other RPG and adventure games.

Assassins creed focuses on combat from an assassins point of view. Fable focuses on the players interaction and shaping of the world around them, and elder scrolls is just pure rpg goodness in all its glory. At the moment Zelda is just a shalow adventure game with a story line and world every one has come to love because of its history. It makes no advancements for the gaming industry to stand back and be like "wow we must follow zeldas lead" but because this is nintendo I believe they should be shaking the industry with their games! because thats all they ever talk about with the wii, but I'm yet to see them make a wii game that advances the industry as far as game play mechanics go. adding motion controls is not a game play advancing mechanic, its just a substitute for pressing a button.

Roar_Of_War said:
Helios said:
Roar_Of_War said:
ultima said:
Roar_Of_War said:

Sadly, I don't think Zelda will ever be anything other than what Miyamoto wants it to be...

It could have, but likely would not. Or what, did you actually have some kind of basis for that claim?

Also, it is thus far the fastest selling Mario game in history, and will no doubt surpass Donkey Kong with or without online.

As for Zelda, should it be "alot" of anything? I'm just glad none of the people online have any say in what goes into the next title in any Nintendo franchise.

You're just another opinion online as well, no more or less than any of us. Stop taking the easy way out. What makes a series popular is its fans, and the fans have spoken through this poll (you can make an estimate with this alone). Just because a game gets great sales doesn't mean Nintendo did something right quality-wise.

We realize our say is invalid with Nintendo, and it always has been. However, we can still talk about what we want in something, and perhaps Nintendo will do it without even realizing its what we wanted all along. It should be obvious to include more action sword-wise in Zelda Wii for Miyamoto and Eiji. To be honest, Zelda wii will get backlash no matter what. How much of it depends, but if it fails to take advantage of combat enough, expect a popular complaint to address this. So either way, you're just setting yourself up for a loss here. Not that you seem to care what everyone thinks about Zelda aside from yourself, anyway. Its good to care, because maybe, just maybe, they're on to something. If even a little bit.

That is, of course, ignoring the fact that the opinions of online fans rarely if ever reflects those of the mass populace. And popularity still has little to do with quality.

As for me, as you aptly put it, I don't care very much what other people think. It doesn't bother me if you don't like the next Zelda, so I have nothing to lose by banking on the fact that Nintendo will not go out of their way to appease you. See, I know what kind of game I want the next Zelda to be, and I also know that the fans' poorly thought out fixes generally aren't it. That's just the cold truth, my friend.

Around the Network
SnowWhitesDrug said:
its not a bad thing to take ideas from these other games. Nintendo need to focus zelda I think. The focused a version of zelda with cell shading, but they need to focus the next non cell shaded zelda in a way that lets us know exactly what nintendo want zelda to be. At the moment there are many other distinctive series out there. The 3 I play are elder scrolls, assassins creed and fable. Each are very different but they do overlap in alot of areas. At the moment every element of zelda is suck in the last gen. It has its own distinctive elements but these are just simpler versions of the elements found in these other RPG and adventure games.

Assassins creed focuses on combat from an assassins point of view. Fable focuses on the players interaction and shaping of the world around them, and elder scrolls is just pure rpg goodness in all its glory. At the moment Zelda is just a shalow adventure game with a story line and world every one has come to love because of its history. It makes no advancements for the gaming industry to stand back and be like "wow we must follow zeldas lead" but because this is nintendo I believe they should be shaking the industry with their games! because thats all they ever talk about with the wii, but I'm yet to see them make a wii game that advances the industry as far as game play mechanics go. adding motion controls is not a game play advancing mechanic, its just a substitute for pressing a button.

Wow, I could not disagree with that more. Zelda needs to be Zelda, not Fable. The first Zelda had almost no interaction with other people. That's what Zelda is, exploring the overworld and finding dunegoens and such. If you want games like those, play those. Link is not an assassin.

I take it you haven't played Wii Sports Resort. The motion controls in the sword fighting most definitely add to the gameplay.

"Now, a fun game should always be easy to understand - you should be able to take one look at it and know what you have to do straight away. It should be so well constructed that you can tell at a glance what your goal is and, even if you don’t succeed, you’ll blame yourself rather than the game. Moreover, the people standing around watching the game have also got to be able to enjoy it." - Shiggy

A Koopa's Revenge II gameplay video

Helios said:
Roar_Of_War said:
Helios said:
Roar_Of_War said:
ultima said:
Roar_Of_War said:

You're just another opinion online as well, no more or less than any of us. Stop taking the easy way out. What makes a series popular is its fans, and the fans have spoken through this poll (you can make an estimate with this alone). Just because a game gets great sales doesn't mean Nintendo did something right quality-wise.

We realize our say is invalid with Nintendo, and it always has been. However, we can still talk about what we want in something, and perhaps Nintendo will do it without even realizing its what we wanted all along. It should be obvious to include more action sword-wise in Zelda Wii for Miyamoto and Eiji. To be honest, Zelda wii will get backlash no matter what. How much of it depends, but if it fails to take advantage of combat enough, expect a popular complaint to address this. So either way, you're just setting yourself up for a loss here. Not that you seem to care what everyone thinks about Zelda aside from yourself, anyway. Its good to care, because maybe, just maybe, they're on to something. If even a little bit.

That is, of course, ignoring the fact that the opinions of online fans rarely if ever reflects those of the mass populace. And popularity still has little to do with quality.

As for me, as you aptly put it, I don't care very much what other people think. It doesn't bother me if you don't like the next Zelda, so I have nothing to lose by banking on the fact that Nintendo will not go out of their way to appease you. See, I know what kind of game I want the next Zelda to be, and I also know that the fans' poorly thought out fixes generally aren't it. That's just the cold truth, my friend.

yes yes this is all just pointless this rambling we are going on with. In order to make a game appeal to the mass audience and attract the most sales it has to be accessable by the youngest, the oldest and the in betweene. And thats what nintendo does brilliantly. And because this is what nintendo do we will never get a zelda that does what we, the gamers want, it will allways be what the mass market casual gamers want and we just make do with it because it is actually quality gaming even if it isnt pushing the boundaries of modern gaming and gaming thought

I wish Zelda Wii was directed by Takashi Tezuka instead of Eiji Aonuma. Sadly it's not. Tezuka seemed to have a proper understanding of what Zelda should be about - accessability, in medias res, exploration and lots of frantic arcade style action.

As Maelstrom implied; Aonuma=Lolo, Tezuka=Zelda as it should be.

I don't think the game should focus more on combat overall, but I would like what combat there is to be of a higher and more complex standard, particularly the boss battles.

I'm fine with it...